1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How and why did you find Empty Closets?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Owen, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

This is just something I'm curious about. I know this thread has been done before, but the last time I remember seeing it was long ago, so I think it's time to give it another go.

How did you find Empty Closets? Were you specifically searching for a support and/or GLBT forum/community, or did you stumble upon it? If you were actively looking for a forum or community like us, why were you looking for one? And finally, why have you stayed?

2. I found EC when I was searching for coming out stories to read. I wound up at a random blog or something that had support sites listed and this just happened to be the one I chose to visit.

I guess I've stayed because even though I'm already out, and was just freshly out when I came...it's nice to know that I'm not the only one. There's always somebody around. Different perspectives and different stories and just a place to be online, I guess.

3. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I was just trolling through Yahoo Answers and some random question had a link to EC on it. I clicked it and browsed around a little bit and I decided to stay.

4. Rikudo

I found it while looking through youtube coming out videos. A guy had mentioned a forum so I decided to check it out.

5. Fiddledeedee

I was seriously questioning my sexuality, and I googled "coming out" as I wanted to know how I would if I was gay/bi/something. I also wanted to find out more about "alternative sexualities" or whatever people call it so I could find out what I was. It is very helpful to me to read about others in similar situations, and I feel much more confident in myself. (I have now come out to everyone at school, yay!)I lurked for a little and decided that there was an active community and wonderful atmosphere here so I joined. I stuck around a while longer before posting, though. I have since looked at some other forums and discovered how rare a place like EC is and how lucky I was to find it; I remember one place where someone might come looking for help like many people on here, but they would be laughed at, put down, etc.. I have stayed as it is a great place here, I want to help people, it gives me better empathy skills (I had not even heard of being transgendered before I came here), and the Fun and Games section is just what it claims to be!

6. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember it well:

Three long years ago I was in the middle of an online class (we had meetings online, since I was homeschooled) and I wasn't paying attention - which means it must have been Algebra class. I was cruising around on YouTube, watching coming out videos, and I ran out of interesting ones to watch, so I entered "coming out videos" into the search box, and EC was one of the top results. I poked around a bit, and then after my class ended I kept thinking about some of the people I'd seen posting here, so I came back the next day. I stalked this place for a whole year before joining.

I still remember signing up for my account too, I was actually shaking with nerves! On June 9th, I believe it was, I created my account upon returning home from my "graduation" (I use the term loosely, as I dropped out but hadn't told my grandparents yet) dinner with my grandfather and the rest of my family.

At first I was reluctant to even label my profile with the word gay, even though I've known all along that that's what I am. Using the word just hammered it home that I was something different. And that scared the hell out of me. I was instantly greeted with warm welcomes, most of which were by people who are still around. :slight_smile:

I've stayed simply because I like it here. I like the people, I like the comfortable vibe I get when I log in (albeit, quite rarely these days do I actually log in, but no matter). And this place has helped me bring issues to the surface that I didn't even know I had. It has allowed me to blow off steam, find friends, and pretty much feel like an almost normal person. I love EC. It is truly an amazing place.

I've tried some other LGBT forums, but I don't get the same vibe there. Plus most of the other forums I found were full of 13-15 year olds (not that that's a bad thing) and I like the variety of people we have here.

In addition, this place inspires me. I recently undertook my own coming out process. I always figured I'd just never get around to telling people, but through reading other people's stories and experiences, I found out that I too posessions the strength to undertake the seemingly impossible.

That's my EC love story. Oh great, now I'm all verklempt! Someone pass the Kleenex... xD

7. Tristar

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I found this site a few months ago when I was finally feeling fed up with being someone other than who I really am. I think I was browsing for some coming out stories when I came across a link to this site.

I'm very glad I did!

(!)

8. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

I was questioning my sexuality - though I pretty much knew I liked women exclusively I still had to "know". So I did a Google search for LGBT forums and this one was the first that popped up. I joined and right away I felt at home. I really like the members and feel I can ask questions about anything that's bothering me.

9. aidan

i used to post on the y!a lgbt section and i wasn't a troll. i'll give you a moment to recover from the shock...

...*cough*, anyway, i either googled "gay advice/support forum", or maybe something more related to the question i was stuck trying to answer... either way, i ended up here.

10. Just Passing

Believe or not, I was a Pokemon forum (Pokecommunity) and someone had a link to this place in their signature, so if anyone was there, please tell me and I can possibly thank you personally. Feeling like the name sounded like a LGBT forum, I clicked on and it was. I thought I'd read some threads and then a few months later, I joined. I wish I had joined earlier though, as I love this place and it's really helped me out. :slight_smile:

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be honest, I found EC through a sister site that begins with J and ends with B. Well ok it ends with S but you know :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. Someone had posted a link and since then I've been very grateful.

12. Adam

I wasnt even lookin for anything really, I just typed into google something gay related thing and this popped up, I wasn't even planning or wanting to come out but I kept reading the threads and stories and after awhile it completely changed my mind.

13. LemonCake

I think I googled "coming out advice" I went to some other gay forums but it seemed like a lot of them were not really focusing on coming out of the closet.

14. 4alex6

I was trying to figure out how to come out so I looked on Google for suggestions and this site popped up. I stayed because I felt like this site is really helping me in figuring out my sexuality and once I had figured it out, I wanted to help other people with their goals in coming out of the closet.

15. ZandO

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This site was referenced on another forum. As someone who's been basically perpetually closeted for...ever, I wish a resource like this had been around years ago!

16. Foxywolf

I think i wanted to read other peoples coming out stories, so I found this site and read some of the coming out stories on it. I enjoyed it so I decided to join to get help in coming out of the closet myself. I have stayed because I really like the people on here and the people are active and it's just a nice place to be.

17. Bibliophile

I searched for online LGBT support groups and this was one of the first ones I saw. I was looking for a way to cope with being bisexual and in the military while I was still active duty. I have stayed because the people here have helped me directly or not with coming to terms with my sexuality. Its taking small steps but I am getting there and maybe I can help others as I travel my own path to acceptance.

18. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I found it while I was reading comments on LFMF. I'm really glad I actually read those comments (I never read comments) because this site has helped me figure out who I am and helped me coming out to my two friends.

19. Bolin

SAME!!!!! xD Only, I was researching the "sister site that begins with a J and ends with a B" on Wikipedia, and this site was mentioned in the article. My depression was probably at its worst during this time (around February, I believe.), so I believed that it would be good to be "around" people like me, even if it was over the internet. I lurked the forums for a couple of months weeks and grew so tempted to join.

I eventually caved in. I live in a small town with practically no gay "scene", not to mention that gays are definitely not looked upon well in this particular town/city. Also, I was just so sick and tired of not having anyone to vent to, to talk to my problems about, or to even talk about cute/hot guys I've seen throughout the day! (I mean, seriously, it's so painful when I hear my mom and sisters comment about hot guys, and I can't say anything about it!)

I've found a few good friends on here, and I intend to stay. NO. MATTER. WHAT.

20. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well.. I think I stumbled into EC by googling LGBT, and coming across a question on Y!A that linked to EC in the answer. I lurked for an hour or so, then decided to join. I've stayed cos.. I don't know many LGBT people irl, I love the atmosphere here, and I don't feel so alone