1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How important is the first impression?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by EndlessMusic, Jul 11, 2011.

1. EndlessMusic

EndlessMusic Guest

Been pondering about this question with a good friend.
    IMO, the first impression is extremely important for any relationship/friendship etc.
    Especially when your meeting new people! But that's me I tend to judge people too quickly from the first impression, then after a while I realise that they're good decent people (oops :eusa_doh:slight_smile:
    What about you? :icon_bigg

2. Daryn

Why are there eggs scrambling in the street?
    I usually know within the first 5 minutes I talk to someone if I want to be friends or not. I say "usually" because I was wrong about my best friend-I didn't like her at first :lol: So, first impressions are pretty important to me, but I don't take them too seriously unless I just get a bad feeling.

3. GaysunshinexD

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think everyone tries to hard on the first impression and makes a fool of them selfs, the secound impression is what I think count's, my opinion.

4. Just Passing

First impressions are difficult. I don't know straight away if I'm going to like a person on the first meeting and sometimes the people I can't stand straight away, I grow to appreciate as friends. It's certainly happened as I've got older.

The funniest meeting I had with anyone was at a university I was visiting and I went to use the urinal toilet. It began making funny noises whilst I was using it and as someone walked in, I mentioned it was saying some strange things. After that meeting, we soon got to know each other and we still know each other now and get on. :slight_smile:

5. TheWanderer

This is usually how I feel about impressions. I say usually because there are times you just know you arent going to get along with someone.

6. Mr.Pushover

I don't think so, because some people are shy and you have to let them warm up

7. AllSmiles

Well, I always try to make a good first impression (e.g. when meeting a gay guy for the first time), because I don't always know if they're important to the new person, so I always think that it's better to be safe than sorry.
    On the other hand, first impressions do matter to me, but does not mean everything to me. If the guy's really nice for the first 5 minutes and a jerk afterwards, it's not really a thing that I'd want to do more about.
    But if he doesn't make a perfect first impression, it doesn't mean that I don't want to talk to him after that.
    'Cos you know, first impressions can be wrong :grin:

8. QuestionMark

QuestionMark Guest

I think they are important to some extent, but you should not judge a person based on their first impression, you could have perceived them incorrectly, or they could just be having a bad day or something. I met this girl once and she seemed like she would be suuper mean, but she actually turned out to be extremely nice, but maybe that's just me being horrible at judging people...:dry:

9. Danny19

i that it depends. they can be important. however, sometimes you gotta talk to someone more than once to see what they are like. you can really judge my the first impression. i do think though that it is important. but it changes as you get to know the person more

10. I feel like, at least for me, first impressions sometimes have to do if there isn't time or opportunity to get to know every single person I ever bump into in my life. But most of the time I'm a pretty good judge of character. And that isn't to say that I would start treating someone differently if they made an awkward first impression on me. I've had shitty days or social mess ups. I get it.

That being said, in general, I really like to decide how I feel about a person after spending some actual time with them. Whether it's the same day I meet them, or any time after.

So yes, first impressions matter, but should only be used to judge very rarely and very warily. At least, for me.

11. armisteadkunkel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    usually, my first impression of persons is pretty right, i rapidly know if i'll get along with or not
    though i tend not to get too close on the first meeting, so people find me pretty distant the first time they see me, so maybe i'm not the best example

12. Rinto

Rinto Guest

I often get impressions of people just by looking at them and I confirm them only when I talk to them.

As they say, "First impression always lasts." I stick to that.

13. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

With friends it's probably important. When it comes to friendship people tend to...uhhh...be who they are I guess? With relationships most people just bullshit and fake it at first. Their true colors come out later haha