1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People assuming you're heterosexual

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Martin, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is following on from my latest blog entry (see profile if interested), i'm just interested in bringing up some discussion. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Rightio, I'm just curious if any of you get annoyed by people assuming that you're 'straight'? It is pretty clear that the homosexual community exists, so why people feel the need to label everybody as heterosexual is beyond me. :dry:

I'm betting most, if not all, of you will have some experience with somebody assuming you're heterosexual. To me i think that if they don't know what your orientation is then they should not assume that it is heterosexual because it's the majority.

It isn't something that makes me boil with anger, but i don't meet people and automatically assume they're straight. Nor will i ask them any questions that are aimed at one particular orientation, because if they aren't then it puts them in an awkward position. If you do not know the orientation of somebody then you should not be asking them questions that are related to it.

That's just my opinion on it anyway. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Anybody else got any opinions on it? :slight_smile:

2. Jim1454

Well - If someone assumes that I'm hetrosexual, I have to give them a break.

I mean, I was married for 9 years, have two kids, and drive a Volvo station wagon. Pretty safe bet that someone fitting those criteria is straight!

3. Steam Giant

I think society views heterosexuality as the standard. There are homosexual networks, but there are no heterosexual networks. Get me?

4. Astaroth

I think part of it has to do with most straight people either not knowing many (or any) people who aren't straight and simply assuming that "the gay thing" must happen to other people somewhere else in the world, if you get what I mean. It's like thinking that a mass-murderer may live next door. No, I'm definitely not comparing the gay population to mass-murderers. I'm just saying that a lot of straight people (or at least the ones I know) tend to lump homosexuality somewhere in the same region of possibility: it happens but not on my block.

5. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been thinking about this. I have a group of friends, certain people don't know I'm gay, but they've never asked me or talked to me about girls, and I've never lied to them and said I've liked girls. It's just I've found in my circles, no one talks about that, which makes coming out a bit difficult.

Part of the reason I don't come out to my family is the issue of 'do you have a girlfriend' has never come up. Maybe they assume I'm heterosexual, or they know I'm gay and don't want to talk about it. I don't know

6. foxglove

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know the feeling. People just assume that I'm going to get married and settle down like my sister has. People at work are always trying to "find me a nice boyfriend" and the pressures really on to come out.
    I phoned my energy supplier and they asked for a reference number but I replied that I'd left it at my partners place so they said "Well, if you can ask him to call us....."
    At this point I should mention that I've been in a relationship with a woman for 6 months and we're due to move in together in April.
    I know that the assumption made on my sexuality will make this even harder to tell people of my good news.

7. I actually like when people assume I'm straight. Saves me unnecessarily coming out to people who I don't think need to know.

8. CrimsonThunder

Well you can't really blame them...

What if they went around assuming everyone was gay? That would be freaky.

9. Nerdtendo

Honestly, the tricky part is not laughing when people say "OMG, Your Bi?! O.O' " like it was the biggest surprise in the world. XD

10. ok455

It doesn't offend me. I don't want someone going up to me saying are you homosexual?

11. waitingsucks

I think that with a friend who honestly thinks ur straight and u haven't told them otherwise, it's completely understandable. But I agree with u when I just meet someone and they talk to me about this really hot girl and annoy me with questions like, who do u think is hot (talking about other girls). But if they just say something like they think someone's attractive and they don't involve u or anything, then It's fine with me!

12. dictionary

Isnt it called something Hetro.....
    Maby its cause people could get ofended if they expected you were gay?

13. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, if someone assumes I'm gay (and it does still happen) I just find it funny. And find them a little sad and pathetic. Because honestly, you have to be pretty clueless to assume I'm anything but gay. But it's kinda fun to play with people's assumptions.

I do like "straight talking" and saying "dude" and "man," which I find very, very hetero and very not like I would normally talk. I can even do it passingly believably with strangers but when I try it on my friends, they just roll their eyes at me. :lol:

14. Zec24

Hmm, I can sort of understand why people assume people are heterosexual. Unless you give them a good reason to think otherwise then they are just going to assume you are straight.

A lot of us here are not fully out either so must of us are probably happy with people assuming we are straight. I know I am when put in situations where I feel unsafe. I'll admit it does annoy me sometimes though. But oh well.

15. Étoile

Could you imagine going up to a guy, without knowing their orientation, and saying:

"So, you know any cute guys you like?"

Person's reaction: :eek:, :tantrum:

I do get uncomfortable when people ask me about girls but not annoyed unless they are persistent.

I think the reason why people automatically assume to ask 'hetero' questions to everyone not only because being straight is the 'norm', it's that people only ask 'gay' questions to others if they have reasons to expect their sexuality to be other than straight.

16. step49x

Same. As long as they don't pester me with gf questions, I don't care if people assume I'm straight. Which they normally do.

17. pianoguy

it doesnt bother me really that much
    i understand that
    if the majority of people were one way, i would assume that too
    its just human nature

18. kevinx519

i second what pianoguy says. anybody know the statistics for homosexuality in humans?

19. Depends on the source. Most stats say 10% but I've seen them as low as 5 and 2%

20. SpikySpice

ALL my friends thought I was absolutely straight, I even heard 2 gusy I didnt know discussed bout me, one said I was gay, the other one said I couldnt be cuz I looked cold. Lots of gay guys at school didnt feel liek to talk to me cuz I looked cold and quiet and stuffs

And it felt akward when they said" I thought you were straight man", when i came out, I just shrugged