1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who is going (or went) to their pride parade?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Foxywolf, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Foxywolf

I am going to march in Rochester pride for the first time ever, I am excited, but does anyone have any advice for me? Like what should I expect, what should I bring ect.

Also what experiences has everyone had at pride? Like did you enjoy it?

:icon_bigg

2. Katelynn

I'm really wanting to go to the Pride event an hour away from me, which kind of works because I'm not out to anyone here where I live. I'm still a little nervous about it all, so i haven't really decided yet, since I plan on going as me, which I've never done in public yet...

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I went to Bourne Free here in Bournemouth last weekend.

It was a good day but it is mostly about having a party now. There was nothing about any of the equality issues still to be tackled, acceptance or anything. On the parade there were floats from the main gay venues, plus banners of a couple of trade unions and a LGBT welcoming church. No Stonewall or Outrage or anything like that. So it has lost it's purpose to me now.

There were a lot of people out to see the parade though. It went through the town centre at a busy time (Saturday lunchtime). So if you are not out then don't join in the parade in your own town unless you want to come out in a big way!

After the parade it was entertainment (lots of drag acts and local singers) in a cordoned off area which cost £10 to get in. The pubs and clubs were packed in the evening.

4. Hitchhiker

I didn't get to go to my local gay parade because I was busy, but the day after there was a festival. I actually came out to my friend and she was like SURE I'LL GO WITH YOU! (she's straight, but an ally :slight_smile: ) Which was pretty awesome. For us, our festival was a bunch of booths giving out information, stickers, pins, and lots of free condoms, for some reason. It was really fun!

5. Shevanel

SanDiego Pride was yesterday, but Jesse and I didn't go, even though it was literally the next block over. We played videogames and watched some BSG instead :3

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not only am I going to my first next Sunday, BUT I'M GOING TO BE ON THE FREAKING FLOAT XD I'm so excited. It's with Rogers TV, and I'll be on their float (or walking beside though I'm hoping ON it), but yeah I'm so thrilled.

7. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You guys are lucky, we do not have anything like that here in Namibia, we have to go to South Africa for that LOL

hopefully in the near future this will change.

8. crazyhead

My boyfriend and I go every year. We went this year. We always design our own shirts together. In my experience, you can pretty much just do what you want, have fun, be nice. Really all we'd do is cheer at people marching and catch stuff they through. But it's always really fun. It's just fun being around so many other gay people and gay supportive people. I should socialize more next time. I hope to someday actually be part of the parade. That would be awesome.

9. Kso1995

i didnt go but i saw a panflet of it with lots of ripped guys on it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: i should of soooo went

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went, as always. But didn't go to any festivities afterwards, because it was held on Father's Day, so I went to go have brunch with my dad. Long story as to what happened after that...

Lex

11. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

I wish there was one close to where I live. =(

12. adam88

I did. :slight_smile: It was fun, and crowded, and hot. :slight_smile:

13. Idonteven

I went to my first this year and Its changed my life quite a lot already. I doubt I had the normal pride experience but I've met some wonderful people, and maybe forming a new relationship.

Not only that but I've got a whole new gay group of friends, which I felt like I needed.

Oh and I've rubbed shoulders with Hollywood people.

So go and enjoy!

14. Katelynn

I'm going, I'm going, I'm going! Eeek! Since I just came out to my friend yesterday, she said she'd go with me & walk in the parade on Sunday for support with me, which is super awesome because I know I'm going to be super nervous! I'm also going to get some pics of me so I can post them in an album here for everybody! I'm actually really excited now!

15. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Definitely going! Our parade is in October so I still have to wait a bit, but its going to be amazing! We might be walking as a GSA, but we are still working on the details. We'll see!! :grin:

While I don't completely support EVERYTHING that happens at pride. I still love the feeling of being surrounded by thousands of people that feel just like you. There is nothing like it :slight_smile:

16. Foxywolf

Haha yeah, so I went the first time and it was great! I marched with the gay alliance and we did chants like, "Two, four, six, eight are you sure your kids are straight!" and "Hi ho hi ho hi ho, homophobia's got to go!"
    It was a lot of fun and at the festival afterwards I bought a lot of pride stuff, even got a little rainbow flag! I went with two friends, one was a straight ally and the other was bisexual! :slight_smile:
    It was hot, but I am glad I went!

17. TraceElement

I went to ROC pride and festival too!!!!!! Sorry, got a little excited. I had a blast as well.:icon_bigg Will most definately have to go again next year.

18. Colton

I couldn't go this year ( Damn! D: ). But I'm planning on going next year with one of my good friends:slight_smile:

19. Allecto

I went to NoHo Pride. I had a Free Hugs sign. :3

20. MrBlueSky

I went to pride in Dublin last month; it was amazing. So much colour,and everyone had a smile on their face. I felt like I could finally be who I am ^^ There were lots of floats,and crowds,obviously. You could maybe buy a pride flag and bring it,and paint your face. Or maybe design a shirt and wear it. That's what I did. Pride is great fun and I hope you enjoy it,it's a great day for everyone. So just stay safe,have fun and show your pride! :grin: