1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Gay People Be As Successful As Straight People?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SpikySpice, Nov 20, 2007.

1. SpikySpice

My sister said she was so sad that Im gay, though she accepted me along time ago. She said that my future wont go anywhere, and got me thinking

Normally I disagreed, be cause gay peopel and straight, we are the same, if they can success, so can we

But the society treat us differently. They of course, liek straight peopel more, and tehy can make thinsg harder for us. Well, like they may fire gay people, or they may do this or do that

But looking bback looking forward, the success is us not them

2. CrimsonThunder

Re: Can Gay People Be Succeeded As Straight?

Well in some countries you can get fired for being gay, so technically some gay people cannot succeed.

3. JSG

JSG Guest

I've just met a guy (bi) that makes 75-100k€ a year...
    He's out to everyone.

4. Louise

Yes gay people can be as successfull as straight people. It may well be harder for them but attitude counts for more than you realise.

Yes you will have more bigottery and more hurdles to cross but as long as you don't let them get you down and give up you can do it.:kiss:

5. CelebrityHead

That's some sound advice. Take note of that!

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight

I believe that if you think life is going to be tougher for you, then it will. I went through those thoughts as a parent when my son came out but he has never thought that and really has only had one incidence of discrimination against him and even now things have been worked out between him and that person. Just believe in yourself whether gay or straight. Stand tall, be proud of who you are and live your life authentically. The rest will fall into place.

7. Jim1454

I have no more worries now about my career as I did before... I'm the same person and just as smart and effective as I was previously.

8. Ty

Ty Guest

My future is what i worry about all the time.

9. Tom

Tom Guest

in the future, i hope tht my skills and qualifications are looked at over my sexuality but as this isnt always the case if there are any cases that im fired for being gay ill just sue =P but we can be just as successful as any1 else

10. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Being gay had no effect on my career at all. Work and sexuality are completely unrelated, and that's how they should be.

The best jobs I've had have been through people I know, and the current one is one of those. The fact that the boss and many of the guys working there are gay is obviously how I knew them (the boss was previously a manager at the shop where my partner works), but it's still because of knowing people not because of being gay.

11. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Can I just reformulate the subject to: Can Gay People Be As Successful As Straight People?

Because seriously, no straight people could succeed me. I might secede from them, though. :lol:

But to answer the question, I think a lot of times gay people are MORE successful (career-wise) than straight people--a lot of gay people pour all the energy they would otherwise pour into a family and relationship(s) into their careers. That's not to say it's always that way but it can definitely happen.

There are definitely some careers/paths that would probably be a lot harder to pursue/follow if you're gay but overall I think it's quite possible for gay people to succeed. You just need to find the right thing you want to do and the right place to do it in.

12. Nicknikko

that's actually one of my fears of being gay...

13. boy0boy

People succeed. The sex of the person you go to bed with really shouldn't really matter. Now to an extent it could, depending on your circumstances, but when it comes down to it.. only you can control whether you succeed or not.

14. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I'll edit it.

15. sdc91

I read a study recently (sorry, don't remember the article). It said that women earn less than men, and gay men earn less than straight men but more than women. But then again, if you have two gay men in a relationship you'll probably earn more than a working hetero couple. Plus most of us don't have kids (I said most, not all - I want kids someday) so we have a lot more disposable income.

Lots of companies have sexual orientation in their nondiscrimination policies, so if you work for them it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

16. surfrboykai

what about that gay senator dude, frank something? i'd say he was successful, yah?

17. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Barney Frank... he's in the US Congress, not the Senate, but yeah he's probably considered a success.

18. Psychedelic Bookmarks

ian mckellen - he's pretty successful. :slight_smile: margaret cho, her too. ellen degeneres. elton john.

19. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah... 'cept Margaret Cho isn't gay. Maybe a little queer but not gay. Or does she identify as bi?

Whatever, she's awesome!

20. sdc91

Actually the House of Representatives. You were partially right - Congress encompasses both the Senate and the House. :thumbsup:

But yeah, I think success is based on qualifications and motivation and not your personal life.