1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Girl's Clothing

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by solarcat, Jul 22, 2011.

1. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I'm not sure where I'm going with this...

I'm a little embarassed to admit this, but I like girl's clothing. I've never worn any, but asthetically speaking, I like them. So I'm a little jealous.

How come girls get to wear cute clothes, and boys can't?
    When you look at a wedding photo for instance, whose clothing looks better? The girls' clothes, because all the men are wearing the same boring thing. But the girls get to wear different colors, different styles... no fair!
    But we can rent a tux, don't know if you can do that with a dress or a wedding gown, so financially we have an advantage.

But generally, I think girl's have the better-looking clothes. Sure, there is some variation in our clothes, but there's not much.
    I like ruffles, and bows, laces and frilly clothes. Boys' clothes don't have that.

I don't kow about skirts though. I suppose it's because I'm used to wearing pants, but I don't think I'd be comfortable in a skirt or a dress, with my legs bare like that.
    And high-heeled shoes? They don't exactly look comfortable. Can you still wear them if you're afraid of heights like I am?
    And corsets... why are ladies only considered elegant when they're in extreme discomfort?

Whatever point I had, I either made it or I lost it. Though I may have lost more than just my point.

So what do you think of girl's clothing and fashion? I'm particularly curious to hear from the girls- is there anything you particulalry like or dislike?

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, I don't like girls' clothing. I generally find it either too skimpy or too showy for me. I'm a very casual dresser and am really uncomfortable in most girls' clothes. When it comes to formal clothes, I'll go for a shirt and tie over a dress every time. I own one dress, which I wore once, to my grandmother's 80th.

3. Zontar

This thread is like I'm in a parallel universe or something...

4. Bowie

Girl clothes aren't bad, but I really, really love suits. When I think of the word "elegance", the image that comes to mind is of a man in a black suit, wearing a black hat, drinking scotch from a glass and listening to calm, smooth jazz.

5. Katelynn

This is honestly how I knew I was a girl when I was 10. I'd much rather be in a skirt or sundress than a pair of pants. I'd much rather have many, many wardrobe options with lots of bright colours than the same few choices that men have. And I'm much, much more comfortable wearing my own, gender-appropriate panties than a pair of guy's underwear. This was a big indication for me when I was young, as I never felt comfortable dressed as a boy & I still don' feel comfy now as a guy. I'd rather be wearing a cute blouse than a teeshirt sometimes, or if I am dressing down in a tee, it has to be a ladies tee, I just can't deal with always wearing guy's tees (except for my guy's concert tees, those I'll never give up! I love them!) And as for formal wear, I LOVE fancy dresses! With all the swirls and ruffles and bows & everything, I feel like a princess! I totally agree that girls have so many more choices than guys & I absolutely love discovering gnew looks for myself! I think I've probably gotten off topic, but seriously, I honestly don't feel normal unless I'm dressed as a girl. It's gender-appropriate as far as I'm concerned and perfectly normal for me. Can't wait until the rest of the world sees me the same way too!

6. browneyedboy

if i get what your talking about then i agree but not that id want to actually wear it.

I love fashion, and will admit that i stayed up way into the night this passed awards season watching live from the red carpet (but no one knows i'm gay :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ), and watching the fashion police recaps (i mean honestly) the next day. For me though its more about appreciating the dress as art, as fashion is most definitely art, especially love when it comes to the top most avant garde design houses that i really love looking at their stuff because an Alexander McQueen or Vintage Versace or a Chanel and many more, are much more than clothing, they are the best "art" in their field and anyone should be able to appreciate the beauty behind it. Although i must admit i did follow most of what was happening at mensfashion week go look at some of their stuff and youd never say theres no awesome clothes for guys, check out mcqueen(im obsessed), prada, dolce and gabanna, and mugler (nicola formichetti-gaga's stylist is designer). Also go look at alexander mcqueen: savage beauty at the met museum Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty | The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York it is pure brilliance

anyway so after that ramble, i think i agree with you :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: otherwise i completely missed the mark.

#6 browneyedboy, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  7. Tracy Lord

I'm with you, solarcat. Girls can dress like boys and nobody bats an eye. But let a boy wear anything girly and everybody loses their minds....

As a result, most of what I wear that's girly is, um, not visible to other people. Except for yoga pants. They are so comfortable that I am willing to risk ridicule.

And my toenails. I love painting my toenails and my excuse to people is that if Chuck Liddell (UFC fighter) can do it, anyone can. But the reality is just that there's some stuff I like that's girly.

As a society, we really need to get over this. And we do, in stages. In the 60s, long hair and/or an earring meant you were a girl or gay. When I was growing up, a straight guy could have one stud in his left ear. Put one in your right ear or in both ears: gay. But now I see straight guys in their early 20s with earrings in both ears.

So things change. My hope is that in a generation or two, we're done with all this nonsense. Maybe that's wishful thinking though....

8. Lychee

I completely disagree - whilst it may look like fun to be able to have a gazillion choices, I am really envious of males and their lack of choice.

I recently attended an International Model United Nations conference, about 600 people were there, all uni students.

As a girl, in that week, I had to have 7 completely different corporate outfits, wearing high heels daily (ouch!), and pantyhose (which are like $10 per pair, and oh my god, they rip so easily!). I had to wear foundation, lipstick and some mascara during the day, every day. Then at night, there were social events. So I had to go home, completely redo my hair, change my makeup, and change my outfits completely. Oh, and I had to wear *MORE* heels. Ouch! Conversely, the males got to wear the same suit every day, with just a change in shirt and tie. And comfortable shoes. At night, they could wear the exact same thing as well, maybe with a more expensive shirt and tie for some of the more formal events.

The gender inequality in terms of clothes is absolutely ridiculous. Guys are always like "Wow, girls have so many clothes! So unnecessary!" except the thing is, as a female, it is necessary, because I can't wear the same suit day after day after day, as well as at night.

So whilst girls have more choice in terms of clothes they can wear, they also have less choice, because they are expected to wear different things.

9. Just Passing

I'm a guy and I love wearing suits, pretty much half of my weekly clothing consists of suit wearing, but I like the look of women's clothing and sometimes, I would have been tempted to wear it, but they just wouldn't look good on me. :grin:

And I suspect the reason girls get away with wearing boy's clothes is because of how male dominated the world is (even now), so to look masculine wouldn't be a big thing, but for a guy to wear what a girl wears would be seen as shocking.

10. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I think one reason girls are expected to wear something different every day is because they're expected to like playing dress-up (whic does, I must admit, sound fun).

Regardless, I do understand what you're saying. It's one thing to have different options, it's another to be forced to choose differently every day. Not to mention the expense.
    But that's what you get for living in a patriarchical society where women are expected to spend more time and money than men so they can be ogled at work, where they get paid less money than men.

I suppose I'd like a compromise of sorts- where women don't need to vary their outfits any more than men do, but we get to wear cute outfits on the weekends and such, like girls can. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a girl's bikini top and thought, "gah, I wish they made a men's shirt in that pattern..."

I wanna wear hearts, dammit! And (certain shades of) pink!

I assume that g was a typo; a "new look" is entirely different from a "gnu look." of course a gnu look would be rather new...

11. Katelynn

That was totally a typo! And I LOVE pink!!!

Honestly, I can say the number of times I've seen a cute bikini top & thought 'Gah! I wish I was wearing that bikini right now!'

12. Markio

I like the idea of a dress. It's just one piece! Plus they come in many different prints. Plus there's this whole accessorizing thing. I kind of wish there were accessories for guys, like wooden bangles or "male" shades of nail polish or something.

13. browneyedboy

there are plenty of ways for men to accesorize, if your going formal, you can never go wrong with cuff-links and pocket squares are back in. i find watches to be great accessories aswell, as they really can complete an outfit, as can a nice bracelet, pair of sunglasses, a belt and in some circumstances a hat. Also "manbags" are also becoming more "manly" with louis vuitton even having their own mens range. (im an avid GQ reader lol)

14. bookworm43

bookworm43 Guest

ok, the thing you gotta understand about skirts- and i'm just being frank here- we like the breeze. we like the free feeling (sorry to all girls here if i'm giving away some renowned girl secret i'm not aware of- but 'tis the truth). and high heels- if you wear them often enough, you get used to them.

and while it's true that men's clothing doesn't have AS great a selection of options sometimes...actually, i have no advice on that. sorry- i know nothing on that side of the subject. i will say this, however- worn out jeans have never failed any gender.

15. GhostDog

Haha yesss. I used to be adamantly against skirts (they don't come with pockets so I have to carry a friggin' purse and then I gotta shave my damn legs and wear something other than sneakers and ugh) but, during summer? There really is nothing quite like a refreshing breeze while wearing a skirt.

I am 100% in favor of people of any gender wearing any clothes they want. Girls can get away with wearing boy clothes, but boys can't wear dresses without people throwing shitfits, and that is just not fair.

I do think there are some unspoken assumptions by the people who make girls' clothing that really annoy me. The pockets are always smaller (or not even there), half the shirts they market for girls now seem to be made out of the thinnest material the manufacturers could get their hands on, and it's hard to find clothes cut for girls that aren't obviously girly (not impossible, but hard). But I look at boys' everyday clothes, and feel the difference in the fabric, and it's like, hey. They expect guys to go do stuff in these. They expect them to put things in their pockets and do things that require seams not to rip and fabric not to snag and tear holes. Apparently girls don't need any of that in their clothes.

I have tried on mens' clothes off the rack, since in general it offers more of what I want in everyday wear, but trying on clothes that are cut for people with much narrower hips than me, or broader shoulders (but smaller, uh, chest area) just does not work. I have the farthest thing from an androgynous build, so the only way I can dress that flatters me is wearing really damn girly clothing. V-necks, empire waists, and tighter fitting jeans look a lot better on me than what I actually want to be wearing, and sometimes I do enjoy dressing up all girly, but... Dammit, I'd like to be able to put on a dapper suit and tie without looking like I'm either much fatter than I am, or like my torso is 50% boob.

TANGENT sorry. But I think it'd be fantastic if we could bring some elements of men's fashions of centuries past back into style. Look at this dude. You can't accuse his outfit of being boring. Impractical and probably incredibly hot during summer, but it's not boring! I'm sad we don't use ruffles anymore. Ruffles are fantastic.

16. paper person

I have often pondered why girls have more variety in clothes than guys. Keep in mind I personaly do not wish to wear "girlier" clothes, but i mean idc if you want to and if you do more power to ya.I just want more variety. I have no idea how to make thay happen in a "mascualine" way but we need to start looking. I love suits as long as i look good in them. It makes me feel so swag and gentlmanly. Pocket watches and cool hats for the win, thank god i think they are comign pack in style.

Thing i realy wish there were though. Less "gothy" trip pants, maybe like trip jeans. Those stapes seem like the coolest thng in the world but i really dont like the draker tones they usally come in. Higher and more types of guys boots. Am I the only one that feels kick Ass in a piar of boots? more alighly higher and more buckles on those. i want to feel like i could stomp down a whole planet in those.

I know some peopel who want to use clothes as ways of expresing them selves. My best answer guys GRAPHIC T's. they are my best freind im gonna start designing and makeing them for my slef cuz there are just so many cool ways to wear those.

well this is all coming from the guy who has no prob in simple jeans and t, actually its what i like best, sure as some layers with longsleves/sweatshirts but simple and male based works for me, but i would love to see what ideas people have out there for the evolution of clothes as a whole (cept that really abstarct junk, take that mess home)

Woah ranty much. So over all more variety for evry one in evry aspect weather that me girlier, more colors, accesories, or what have you, but ill just stick with what im have now k?

17. cdstephany

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I love wearing womens clothing. Unfortunatey, I am a larger male ( on the outside) and as a mechanic I am forced to wear the same uniform daily even after work when I am with my wife ( who is appalled that I even have such thoughts about even considering dressing up) and my 2daughters 9 & 11 yo ( who dont know). I dont get to dress up unless I get some alone time. But I love the feel of the clothing on my skin. I love wearing dresses, skirts, blouses, lingerie, stockings, heels, wigs, and makeup. I love bows and hearts and lace and everything "girly". I wish I could dress that way all the time. And even though I realize that I may look rediculus it makes me feel pretty on the inside. When Im dressed up I am truly happy. I am at one with my myself and my inner girl. Even if it is for a short time. Unfortunately I am going to be trapped in my closet for some time to come but I cant wait for the dy when I can finally come out. Sometimes life just isnt fair :-(

I think I need hug
    ~ "stephany"

18. DoriaN

idk if you've read any of my threads, but that's why ever since I was little I both admired and ENVIED girls and their clothing...

That jealousy was also a helper in realizing how I feel like a female, and having crossdressed on occasion I really do like the clothes... and I can pull them off too! Sometimes I feel like walking out at midnight completely dressed up and no one would know the difference; but walking at night isn't exactly safe...

19. Katelynn

I actually go out every night wearing my bra & with 'the girls' stuffed in & have a cigarette in my backyard, which I have to get to by walking thru my front yard. It's usually around 1 or 2 AM when I do this, but I have done it as early as midnite too sometimes. I can't begin to tell you how normal I feel being outside looking like myself, even if it's only for 5 to 10 minutes at most at a time. And for the first time on Tuesday this week, I met my new friend Steph, who was super supportive of me, & after everyone was asleep & it was just me & her, I sat on her back patio in front of her the same way as myself for about 2 hours, which was the first time for that to happen. When it was time to leave, I was actually really disappointed I had to go back to being a guy again too. Even tho I had been over at her place since about 4:30 that afternoon, she said I wasn't really confident & relazed & more open than I was looking like female self & acting naturally as my female self. That just reinforced, for me, that I am indeed female...

20. DoriaN

idk, for me wearing a bra was one thing but I don't really feel the need for stuffing and whatnot, some girls are pretty flat and the clothes are a different thingy. Like if stuffed before with water balloons (Best things to use for it), and visually and everything it looks/works perfect. However I'm just in it for the overall feel and comfort. Also a male body wearing a bra, just weirds me out or turns me off bigtime for some reason, idk.

For me it's all about looking 'natural', as long as that is met it's all good for me.