1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UGH - Pride Problem - Parents

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Revan, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi again guys. I'm just having a bit of a problem. I work with Rogers Television in my city, and as such they're going to be involved with my city's Pride Parade. Some will film it, some will work a booth, and some will walk with/be on the float. The thing is I at first signed up to work the booth because i didn't want to upset my mom, she's all about "remember Gramps is humble, I'm private about stuff" blah blah blah. So I did it to be accommodating for my mom, she's still only really known and accepted me for 5 months. However a couple weeks ago I got word from my "boss" that I've been put on the float crew and I said okay. Because I mean while it's volunteering, it's still something I've dedicated my time to and I'm not going to just say "NO" even though I mean they are very accommodating themselves. But basically I'm a bit frustrated because when I was talking to Mom today, she said "make sure to not be on the news" >_> And I'm just frustrated by this. I mean I know, I could wind up seen but I mean my mother is in Florida right now until mid August, and while my grandfather does sometimes watch the news, he might not even watch the Pride part (he is accepting but of course not necessarily understanding of it). But yeah basically I dunno what to do, I mean our float will probably be very tame, I mean it's Rogers TV, I doubt there are going to be half nude men dancing on our float, I know I'm not lol. So basically I'm just asking, what do I do, should I just go ahead and if Mom finds out, tell her that they asked me to do the float when I got there because they were short on people (I know, lying is bad) and i said okay because it is a "job"? Or do I when I get there ask if I can instead work the booth or something? Any suggestions?

2. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Your life. Your job asked and you said yes. Tell your mom your going to be on the float because your job asked you to. If she doesn't like it then she doesn't have to watch the parade.

3. crazyhead

You're 23. Your mom shouldn't even have a say in this. You do what you want and say you were done being a kid have a decade ago. She doesn't have to like it, but she can't control it.

4. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

Your t.v. crew is going to be at the parade and your BOSS assigned you to the float. You can't really argue with your mom about that. If your grandfather has a problem with it tell him it was required of you for your JOB.

Sorry, but this makes me so happy I never had grandparents or relatives.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sigh yeah it'll be fine im sure but doesn't mean its not frustrating lol

6. Markio

You could wait until she brings it up, and just say your boss reassigned you to "float crew." That sounds like you could be working on the float's maintenance or construction, or clean-up or something, without necessarily being on the float. I doubt anyone will be able to spot you out on a float if you even appear on the news, although you could wear a hat to make yourself look a little different.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't stress about it. The entire feature on any given news station is going to be like 2 minutes unless it's an incredibly slow news day so *maybe* if they just *happened* to cover the Rogers float in the parade, you'd be on for a second or two.

Your mom is creating a mountain out of a molehill. As long as you don't do a 5 minute interview talking about buttsex or something controversial, they're unlikely to put any emphasis on you in the news. Tell her to chill.

8. Gravity Defyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's your job and it happened you were assigned to do a specific task by your boss. Your mom doesn't seem to fit in this situation. I mean, she can be mad at you but after all It's your life, your job and your desiciontt

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just wanted to give a sort of update. My mom was fine with me marching after all, long as I wasn't being flamboyant and other stupid shit as she often can say lol. And I have to say, marching in the Pride parade minus it being quite sweltering, was the most fun I've had in quite some time. It just was so liberating, so thrilling, so exhilarating, so FUN. :slight_smile: I'm so glad I went through with it.

10. Emberstone

just promise not to appear wearing nothing except bedazzled underwear, and you should be fine.

11. xequar

"Mom, I appreciate your concern, but honestly, I'll be fine, and it's not your decision."