1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Centers on College Campuses

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hitchhiker, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Hitchhiker

On the college campus I'm going to there's an LGBTQ (GLBTQ? Idk) center. This is really exciting because I've decided to be completely OUT in college. well to the people at college, anyways. But what do people actually DO at LGBTQ centers? Do they just chill out or what happens? I'm just afraid I'll awkwardly walk in and be like WHAT DO I DO and they will think I'm a freak or something! :eusa_doh:

tl;dr : what do you do at LGBTQ centers anyways?!

2. Markio

My college unfortunately has no such center, not even a multicultural center or anything. :frowning2: Usually they provide pamphlets, course listings, and information on the LGBTQI community. Occasionally it provides space for discussion groups or GSAs to meet. I'm not that sure, but it would be perfectly acceptable to walk in and inquire as to what sort of services the center provides for students. :slight_smile: After all, not all centers provide the same services at every college.

3. Hot Pink

There is one on my university's campus. Now that I'm out, I'm a lot less scared about joining it. I'll probably take part in it, come Fall Semester.

4. Gumtree

What GBLTI groups get up really does vary a lot, depending on the university, the political situation and their degree of funding; but there a few similarities between most.

They should all offer support and advice services, which will be strictly confidential.

Supply resources, connections and liaise with other GBLTI resources in the immediate and extended area.

Many are apart of wider networks and participate in activism, political campaigns and large GBLTI orientated events; often attending as a representative of their university.

Most run lots of social events just for the members of their group, which may be everything from fund-raising for your group to wild parties.

Most groups will meet once or twice a week for an hour or so, which is where official decisions are made, such as choosing what the group endorses, planning events, electing new officers/presidents etc.

Other than that, the groups should have their own room(s) which should just be safe spaces for GBLTI students to hang out and socialize with others.

Some queer spaces are autonomous, others aren't and welcome allies. So if you're not 100% confident being out to non-queer identifying persons, I would advise finding out early on whether or not your space is autonomous.

5. Kirakishou

It really depends on the college.
    At mine, they offer it as a meeting space for clubs. They also hold events and stuff.
    They also call themselves the LGBT *Resource* Center. So a lot of the times, they'll meet with students who are doing projects or papers on LGBT.
    Plus, they have a couch, tv, and computers so I just hang out there daily like a lot of people. It's a great place to meet and get to know people. :slight_smile:

6. Hitchhiker

What's GLBTI? I know the Q is for questioning, but what is the I for? And what do you mean by autonomous?

I'm really quite excited about being out in college, and my college even has like a mentoring program where they set lgtbq freshmen up with older lgbtq 'mentors' to help them with their college transition, etc. I think I might try and do that...

7. Markio

Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transgender Queer/Questioning Intersex, and sometimes Ally. LGBTQI or LGBTQIA. Intersex refers to persons born with ambiguous genitalia, or "hermaphrodites." The old word suggests that intersex people are "mythical."

8. Dunno about other schools really, but at mine the Pride Alliance does a lot of neat stuff.
    We have weekly discussion groups. We plan for people to come in and talk about how to have fun safe sex. We threw a "Pride Prom" last spring where anyone could come with anyone they wanted and wear whatever they liked. We do things like Day of Silence. We are planning on having big group discussions that we invite everyone to, like how to be a good ally, info about sexuality/gender identity, etc. We help other clubs on campus do stuff for diversity and non-discrimination of all kinds of people, etc. We've gone to some protests and other big organized queer events in the local community.

But most of all, we're a safe place and a group of tight friends who get it and want to help ease the way for everyone to feel comfortable being who they are and talking about what they need to talk about.