1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Job?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gordon, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Gordon

I recently got my first official job at a gas station and I wanted to know what was your first job and where?

2. bookworm43

bookworm43 Guest

my first job was babysitting these two little girls from my old church- now they're my regulars, as well as with my little cousin.

3. Markio

I thought this thread was going to be about something else. :wink:

My first job was as a resident advisor at my university. I applied as a freshman and have had the job ever since.

4. Remy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Mine was a math assistant at a math and reading learning centre. I was a student there at first, but I figure they thought I was good enough and hired me :grin:

5. FJ Cruiser

I was an assistant at a university lab that researches explosives. Yeah, it's not nearly as interesting as it sounds.

6. SecretColor

From St. Louis, MO; go to school in Philly
    I fix laptops at my school's Engineering IT dept. Basically, I get paid to do homework.:icon_bigg

7. Giorria

Giorria Guest

Admin assistant, It was only through a recruitment agency so it didnt last long as they only needed me for a short amount of time. I did what they needed of me then I was gone. Actually went out one night with the people there who were really nice.

8. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

My first job was being a page at my town's public library. I put away books, got books ready to be put on the shelves, and whatever else the boss needed of me. I basically did the grunt work, but it was a job, and my boss is a very fair man who's great to work for. Plus I loved my coworkers and the work was simple enough that it gave me time to think. I was good enough that since I left for college, my boss has been more than willing to hire me back during my breaks.

9. Bolin

My first job...

*puts hand up, shakes head and tries to calm down*

My first job was at Bojangles' Famous Chicken 'n Biscuits. Terrible experience. I only stayed for 2 weeks. My facility suffered from "over-management." There were about 5 or 6 supervisors working in that little back kitchen area at the same time giving contradictory orders and talking about each other. :rolle: Also, I was around an endless supply of nasty, bleeding, raw chicken meat everyday, and I also came home always smelling like grease and chicken. Yeah, not a good first job.

10. sjg545

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My first and current job is at a McDonalds. :frowning2: I'm actually sitting here now waiting to be picked up. It really sucks but at least I'll actually be able to buy stuff when I go shopping now!!

11. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Mcdonalds. yuck.

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have to say i giggled at the idea of a "page" in a library. All sorts of terrible jokes come to mind which I won't share.

My first job was at a mom-and-pop hardware store when I was 14. It was an amazing job. I learned a ton about running a small business, and an eclectic collection of skills, including knowledge of locksmithing, glass cutting, basics of electrical, plumbing, etc. It was pretty cool.

13. Mr.Pushover

My first and current job is lifeguarding and it is very boring.

14. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Heard 'em all before. I've come up with a few myself. When people ask me about my first job, I've been known to say (before giving the real description), "I was a page at my town's public library. People read me."

15. Bibliophile

My first jobs was at "Safari rides and photos." It was a job with mechanical animals my boss built himself. I basically operated the animals and tried to get people to go on rides and get photos taken. Most of the customers were not children as you would figure but college kids usually females.

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There was some place like that in the (totally dying) shopping mall near my house. It had one large dinosaur (and nothing else) in a small storefront. The head moved up and down and the whole thing seemed like it was intended to get kids (or maybe adults!) to come in and get their picture taken.

I couldn't imagine there'd be enough takers given the scant mall traffic to even pay the hourly wage for the lone employee in the place, let alone the expensive rent on the storefront space. The place was gone a few months later when I went back.

Did your employer last in the long term or was it a flash in the pan?

17. Beertruck

Oh shit, babysitting probably. First part time job was at my small-town pharmacy, first full time job I'm in currently!

18. theWorldisYours

MY first job was lifeguarding at a private community pool. the people were snobby, and this one guy who thought he was my boss ruled the pool area with an iron fist. He made me yell at people for breaking all of these ridiculous rules, even though my job was to check the pool's ph and make sure none drowned. I work at a summer camp teaching swimming lessons now, and I love it.

19. Tiny Catastrophe

My first job was at a bagel store in my town when I was 14. I got paid really well because it was an off the books job so I would work Saturday and Sunday mornings and make $200 plus tips in cash. I quit after a year because my boss was very abusive both verbally and physically and although the money was good I just couldn't deal with that anymore. I liked the girls I worked with and I learned a lot. It was a good first job other than my crazy boss lol.

20. Flyers2011

McDonald's.

With about 30 kids from my old high school.

I hate it. My boss is a psycho and doesn't understand why I had to call off because my mother was seriously injured in a car wreck and I have to help her get around and do stuff. I was also involved in the crash and I'm pretty banged around . . .

Other than him and the rude ass customers we get I like it. One of my crushes works there so it makes me happy haha. But I've learned a lot and will use the experience well in my future endeavors.