1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-English Speech Stereotypes?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IsItSo, Jul 28, 2011.

1. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    I was just wondering what parallels to English's "gay lisp" might exist in other languages. Anyone know anything on the subject?

2. Dewey

I talked to my Korean friend a while ago about lisps. Not gay lisps but lisps in general. And I asked her "Since the Korean language doesn't have the "th" sound, can Korean people hear lisps?" And she said they can. But I don't really know whether a lisp is considered "gay" in Korea because things that seem "homosexual" here are perfectly normal there. From my perception, guys hold hands and touch a lot. A lot of them are metro, and a lot of them will tell other men they're "handsome" or "sexy" but they'll turn out to be perfectly straight. Strangely, a lot of Koreans are homophobic. WHY MUST YOU TOY WITH ME KOREA?! O_O WHY?!

3. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pretty sure gay Japanese use different words in conversation, referring to themselves with feminine pronouns and such.
    The foreign language major in me wants to know more about this, though.

4. Rinto

Rinto Guest

Hmmm... As I know, Filipino gays often emphasize "v", "ch" and other consonants that sounds so foreign but not "f" and "z". They have a gay lingo that they are the only ones that understand...

I don't know much info, sorry...

5. Bowie

In Brazil, the stereotype dictated that some gay people switch the "s" sound for "th", but our former president (who is both straight and slightly homophobic) also did that due to a speech impediment, so I guess it's not a big deal.