1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of moving.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by starfish, Jul 28, 2011.

1. starfish

Three years ago I move from the Dallas area to Austin for work. I grew up south of the Dallas area so I consider it home.

The move was good as it gave me the chance to discover myself. Now three years later I'm over Austin. It's not bad, but it just is not me.

So I am pondering my next move. A few thoughts.

Move back to the Dallas area. I would likely move to the North Dallas area, which is different from the area I grew up in. It would be nice because I would be closer to family and some long time friends. Another plus is that I am familiar with area. Downside is that I a tired of the hot summers with no rain. I'm not a big fan of the prairie. It is so flat with no trees.

If I was to move somewhere else I like the Pacific Northwest. I visited Seattle a couple of months ago and I loved the area. Moving there would be a big move. It would be much more difficult to visit my family and friends. It would be starting fresh as I don't know anyone there. I like the cooler weather, the rain, the trees, and the proximity to British Columbia. I could easily take weekend trips up there as it is a few hours drive.

I've been mulling this over for the past few weeks. I have a pro/con list a mile long for each option. I'm curious as to the thoughts of others.

2. Dan82

One factor is cost of living (the main variable is housing) the costs are generally more expensive than the interior; Seattle isn’t as expensive as some places but it’s more expensive than Dallas.

3. Danny19

well in my opinion. i am not a hot weather kinda guy. the only reason i like summer is because of the long school break. but personally i love cold weather. i never been to seattle but i heard its nice. so i would go with seattle. the weather just sounds awesome

4. olides84

If there's an area that you think you'd love, and you'd be able to get a job and can afford to live there, then I'd say go for it! I knew I needed a change, so I moved three years ago to a new city (well, a new country as well) and knew no one. Now I have lots of friends and love it here. There are lots of ways to meet people, and going to a place like Seattle (or Portland which is smaller but I think even better than Seattle) ensures that there a lots of younger people who are newer to the city and open to make friends/do things/get into relationships/whatever.

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I recently moved within the UK, to be closer to my family (but not in the same town), have more of a gay social life, and to a generally nicer area. I am really pleased I made the move, definitely the right decision for me.

I can't comment on the areas you have mentioned but you need to decide and prioritise what you want from your new area, and use that list to guide your decision. Then go and visit a few times and see how you actually feel about the place and the people etc. During those visits you can start to consider which specific part of the town or whatever you want.

I totally endorse moving if you are unhappy where you are, but don't rush the decision otherwise you will only end up moving again. The aim should be to settle there for a few years at least.

6. Mr.Pushover

Seattle has to be one of the best places on Earth. I fell in love with that city the first time i visited it. I would say, all the way, Seattle. That's just me of course :wink:

7. starfish

So I am back in the Dallas area this weekend for a family event. I do have to say there is some comfort in the familiarity of an area. It is almost like an old t-shirt.

Good news is that I have plenty of time to think it over.