1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Friday

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sdc91, Nov 22, 2007.

1. sdc91

Who's going shopping??

Haha, I want to but I seriously have no idea what I want to get. (Hooray for capitalism.)

2. YAY I love capitalism(I really do.) My mom's going shopping to finish Christmas shopping Im not going personally.

3. xxAngelOnFirexx

me! i'm going to be heading out at 4am!!

4. xequar

I'm at my parents' place for the Thanksgiving holiday, and here in small redneck town USA, the big places to shop are Wal-Mart and K-Mart. I refuse to go into a Wal-Mart on principle, and I would rather pay full price than fight with the crazy people that find their way out of the woodwork to save a few bucks. Honestly, my mother went to Wal-Mart last year for some of the Black Friday specials and was physically assaulted because she grabbed the last of some particular item. Not worth it.

5. PanPacifist

I'm at my friend's place, and her parents are going, but we're sleeping in. =)

Em

6. Jerr

I might get up and go for shits and giggles... most likely I'm going to sleep until I have to work the 2nd half of black friday.

7. Bryan

I am going to the mall IN THE AFTERNOON. I dont care what free shit they are handing out, the only thing that would get me out at 4 am would be Led Zeppelin concert tickets.

8. biisme

hmmmmmmm....shopping on black friday...probably not....

i'm too young to be trampled

9. No day butoday

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No one's too young to be trampled
    I'm getting in line at the mall at 3am in the snow, which probably isn't a good idea considering I had pneumonia last week XDD Hopefully I'll get some cute clothes before I die! :grin:

10. biisme

ah....you'll hav no chance to be trampled. you'll be frozen from cold.

don't get sick!

11. No day butoday

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll try not to ^-^
    I'm filling my pockets with cough drops as we speak :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

If someone even touches me, I'm sure I'll shatter from being frozen, but it'll still be just about the best day ever :grin:

12. davo-man

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is Black Friday?

13. No day butoday

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's the day after Thanksgiving(which you also conveniently don't know about >__<) where every store opens super early(usually around 4-6am) and sells stuff for really low prices. It's insanee :grin:

14. davo-man

Oooh okay, we have the same thing I think the day after Christmas at my work. They made me work from like 4am till 9am and we practically give Christmas trees away. Its freaking annoying tho, cos we dont get much extra pay for getting there at 4am and hardy any ppl come anyway, cos theres a bigger store a few suburbs down so everyone just goes there.....and Thanksgiving? Whats that?...all these new foreign holidays are confusing me hehe

15. xequar

It's kinda similar, but not really... Thanksgiving, of course, is a U.S. holiday meant to celebrate the feast the pilgrims were able to have thanks to the help of the Native Americans in the area. Black Friday is widely considered, in the U.S. anyway, to be the first "official" day of Christmas shopping season, so stores give insanely huge discounts on a lot of stuff, usually stuff that people WANT to buy, to get shoppers into the stores.

The reason I say it's different from your example is that the merchandise is not close-out or clearance or out-of-season stuff. It's normally very desirable merchandise deeply discounted, things like electronics, tools, computers, et cetera. If one is willing to fight the crowds, one can find great deals. But, one has to fight the crowds of people, and deal with the occasional assault, as well.

16. davo-man

Oh ok, yeah i get the picture now, ours is the quite similar with discounts off a lot of the merchandise in the store (including electronics and Manchester stuff). I just used christmas stuff cos that stuff is incredibly reduced, but I see the difference

17. biisme

it's called black friday b/c it's said to be the first time the stores get into the black. like when they first start getting money.

18. sdc91

Yeah, as opposed to being "in the red".

One of my family friends works at a jewelry store, and she says that Black Friday is the first day that they break even and actually start making profits for the year.

19. biisme

well. there u go.

has anyone gone out yet? one of my friends replied to a thread at 7:30 saying she already went shopping and bought tons of stuff.

if u went out, what did u buy?

20. SpikySpice

Were gonna go now, teh mall is right next to my friend's house

In Best buy they only sale stuffs that nobody wants like computers or laptops that nobody cared to buy or thsoe electrnoic devices that are left over lol