1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inexperaniced 18 year old + gay bar = good idea?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by British Lad, Jul 30, 2011.

1. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I am inexperanced and my gay great uncles want to take me out for a night on the town and maybe to a gay bar, good idea or not? Advice A.S.A.P please.

2. Jay

Jay

If it's your first time to a gay bar, my only advice is: If you're legal to drink, have two drinks most (if you're used to drinking) or none at all (if you're not used to drinking). It's ok to carry a bottle of water around if needed--I've seen a spike in LGBT people choosing not to drink at the bars.

And have fun! :grin:

3. Giorria

Giorria Guest

I would agree with Jay when he says don't have too much to drink, but thats normal advice for going out to bars in general. Ask what bar they they want to take you to and try to find out the scene there because every bar is going to be different no matter who they cater for. From my own experience gay bars are more friendly then others, but that could be different for the next person. Just relax and don't push yourself into anything you're not comfortable with yet, move at your own pace.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well being in West Midlands you are legal, but definitely follow the advice not to do too much. DEFINITELY ask your great uncles to be uncles and look after you and definitely tell them how you're nervous. They've probably been at bars before obviously and know what it can be like the first time around, it's good that you HAVE your uncles there, having someone to look out for you first time in a bar, gay or straight is that there's someone there to help look after you and also keep an eye on you. You would more or less be considered be fresh meat (not necessarily a bad thing) but jsut know you'll probably get ur butt pinched several times :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: and possibly hit on. But yeah just make sure to talk with your uncles and let them know how you feel.

Have fun!

Please note, it is NOT a bad place especially if you stay sober, just like with any bar being drunk isn't a good thing, so just maybe have one light drink, not too strong, if you want to relax a bit but only take it that far. And just enjoy yourself.

5. Rikudo

Best way to get experience is to put yourself out there.

6. UnAmourFatal

I was 17 when I first went down to a gay bar. Now that I think of it, almost 16. There's really nothing to be afraid of. Don't do drugs, don't drink too much and you'll be fine. Just be yourselv, enjoy yourself, and the drag show if there's one. Good luck!:slight_smile:

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

If you are going to Birmingham (the biggest scene in the West Midlands) there are a reasonable varied selection of bars and clubs.

This section of the Midlands Zone website has a comprehensive list of venues across the West Midlands. It would be worth looking through and checking out some of the websites to see which appeal and which you'd rather avoid (in Birmingham, the Village Inn and Missing are good, Nightingale and Eden are OK, but Boltz would not be suitable for you).

Birmingham in particular is quite a late night scene. Many venues are open until 3am, some as late as 5am at weekends, so consequently things don't get going much before 10:30pm. So if your uncle is planning to do a quick tour round in the early evening most of the places will be quiet.

As others have said, don't have too much to drink, avoid drugs and poppers etc, and enjoy yourself. If you don't like a place then move on.

8. British Lad

British Lad Guest

thanks for the advice, i just got back and had three strongbows and it wents smoothly as my uncles were in cornwall and I went to truros gay bar and enjoyed my self.