1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speed Reading

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ty, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Ty

Ty Guest

I just found out my R.E teacher can speed read! She was talking about enhanced learning and how she spent £500 on a three day speed reading course which allowed her to read 40 mega thick books in a week =/ and get her masters in 3 weeks lol.

I wanna learn to speed read -.- Can anyone here speed read? any advice? Im gonna find a course =p

2. xequar

I know it is in fact possible... I had a friend in college that literally read a 300 page novel in two hours. I'm afraid I don't know how one goes about it though.

3. Grof142007

if u can read that fast and can you retain any inforamtion. i mean i could do that but i wouldnt remeber much

4. xequar

That was the thing. In my friend's case, we had been prepping for a studio show, and since he was a camera guy, he didn't have much to do for the first couple hours of setup. He grabbed one of the old books we normally used as set decoration and read it cover to cover. When we asked him what it was about, he was honestly able to give us a very good account of the book, characters, plot lines, the whole thing.

5. kevinx519

thats freaking crazy. i wanna learn, too. can't stand reading for more than 3 hours at a time. and the book i have to read right now for english is super long.

6. Midget

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've never tried reading a novel in record time (except one time I read a 300 page book within a few hours since I had to return it to a friend, but I didn't sit down and try to read it uninterrupted). However, I took a test online to test speedreading. The average person reads 200 words a minute and I scored just under 600.

I should totally try that with a novel....

7. xxAngelOnFirexx

i can't speed read but i read very fast. once a few years back i was reading harry potter and i meased that i read one page (one half side of an open book) in 45 seconds. and thats harry potter! lol. speaking of which i really gotta read this one book for school. its awful and horrid to try and understand. the characters names change all the time and they never tell you about it.

8. Ty

Ty Guest

My reading speed is 564 a min which is 9.4 words a second....o.0 that sounds weird lol

and morgan, harry potter rocks! its not complicated =p

9. Midget

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I used to read Harry Potter but stopped after the sixth book. Just stopped being interesting to me and recently I've just started disliking fantasy in general. I can't remember how quickly I read those books, though; I remember it was always finished the day I got it, but I'm not sure on the actual time.

Morgan, what book are you stuck reading? I've had so many awful book experiences in English. "The Great Gatsby" was probably the first to restore my hope in the class.

10. surfrboykai

my brother reads like, paragraphs at a time. it's so weird

11. xxAngelOnFirexx

I have to read "Mansfield Park" by Jane Austen. everyone in my class is having a hard time and hates it.

12. step49x

I believe I read the 5th through 7th books in two days each. I feel so slow, compared to you all... lol

I don't think I'd mind learning how to speed read. It sounds very convenient.

13. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My record so far is It, by Stephen King.

1,090 pages. 8 hours.

That is, 136 pages per hour.

14. Grof142007

I remeber the great gatsby what a book movie even better

15. xequar

Personally, I found the book to be better, but the movie was a pretty decent interpretation of the book, unlike so many others (I mean you, "To Kill a Mockingbird").

16. biisme

ummm...i can read pretty fast. i mean i read the harry potter 5 book (870 pg) in about 5.5 hours and i stopped and ate breakfast and went to the bathroom in the middle. i read like a 200 pg book the other day in an hr. i've always been able to read fast. i think my record number of books in one day (i was bored) is lik 9 or 10.

my only advice is read. read a lot.

17. Midget

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Oh, the book is definately better than the movie in my opinion. The only thing I could stand about the movie was Robert Redford. :lol:

Wow, Biisme, that's definately speed reading. Reading a lot does help - after a while, you get used to sentence structure and common phrases and you can "skip" sentences or even paragraphs. That's what I've noticed, not sure if anyone else has. Makes me wonder if this method is harder for people who aren't native English speakers.

18. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

I totally agree. I felt that that actor who played Gatsby sounded extremely awkward everytime he said "old sport." Some of the scenes, like the funeral, I thought were a little sub-standard as well.

19. biisme

yea. now when i read i relaize i'm not reading individual words or snetences. i'm like reading paragraphs at a time. iss like looking at a picture and everything all at once.