1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texas Republican: "It Takes Balls To Execute An Innocent Man"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dan82, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.tnr.com/blog/jonathan-chait/93136/it-takes-balls-execute-innocent-man

2. Kidd

Kidd Guest

This makes me very sad for America.

3. Marlowe

4. ezkill

Unfortunately I am not surprised about this series of events. Our justice system is flawed to the core, everywhere from how/when police officers conduct traffic stops, to how judges and juries arrive at their decisions. The human element will always complicate things, although that's not to say I would prefer a robot making these decisions.

5. FJ Cruiser

I would just like to encourage people to not let nutjobs like that color their opinion of Texans or even Republicans for that matter. I realize that, given the political bent that an GLBT forum is sure to have, Republicans and Southerners are going to be sought out to vilify, but for every crazy conservative, there is a crazy liberal. For every Rick Perry there is a Nancy Pelosi.

Nobody is happy with the political situation in Texas (even hardcore conservatives) and the reason demagogues like Perry keep getting elected is because of manipulation of the system and apathy by most voters. If you're familiar with the state like I am, you would notice a major discord between the views of people and the views of those that sadly represent the people.

The only reason I bother commenting on this is because articles like this, just like any from a politically motivated blog, only serve to promote stereotypes and prejudice, and believe me, I have had to deal with some nasty treatment on account of my place of origin alone. GLBTs have enough to deal with, and we don't need to be hypocritical.

#5 FJ Cruiser, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  6. Meropspusillus

I don't really understand why Nancy Pelosi is so supposedly crazy.

7. FJ Cruiser

She's not crazy necessarily. She's a Democratic demagogue. Some of her propositions, though, cross the line from a standard liberal economic stance to what IMO, is harmful redistribution of wealth.

I know it comes across like I'm trying to defend Republicans and attack Democrats, but that is not my intention at all. I loathe both parties equally.

8. Meropspusillus

I guess I'll accept that. I just don't agree that Pelosi is the liberal equivalent of, say Bachmann. Maybe it's because I'm pretty liberal, but I feel like the Tea Party represents a special sort of crazy that isn't present in the left. >_>

9. ANightDude

[​IMG]

10. RedState

You don't understand why she is crazy?

ok....deep breath....i am going to leave this one alone.

But I think the original comments by FJ are very spot on.

11. ezkill

Hi FJ Cruiser,

Very well put. It's unfortunate that most people will jump to conclusions as soon as you tell them you are a conservative, or a liberal, or even a tea party member. This is really damaging to any sort of "progress" that anyone can dream about.

Sometimes I feel like politics in the life of an average citizen is more about being right than it is about actually making things right. It is sad that people have come to the point of saying "every conservative is rich, white and racist. Tea party people are ALL crazy", or "liberals are communists". This list of ridiculous things to say is endless. When you get to the point that you are able to actually predict, with 100% accuracy, what argument a person of a particular political party is going to make, then you know you are in a sad situation! Many times, those accusing others of being ignorant are most likely perpetuating ignorance themselves. The level of hypocrisy that exists amongst many voters is astounding.

With all that being said, I keep faith and a positive attitude in people to make the right decisions in the end. One can only hope.