1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Liberals more politically picky in mates?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dan82, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2011/07/liberals-more-politically-picky-in-mates/

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I would like to give particular attention to this quote:

"Though one should be careful of taking one glimpse into #########’s data set too seriously. Context matters, and I don’t know if there’s selection bias here (one suspects that ######## has a more conservative clientele, so right-wingers using ######### might be more adventuresome by nature)."

3. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know some pretty picky conservatives. I think that it's more that anyone who really cares about politics doesn't want to be with someone who has wildly different views. Most people are the same way with religion. It's hard to co-exist with someone who disagrees fundamentally with you in those two topics.

4. Zontar

Picky as fuck conservative master race here.

Another bunk study proving nothing.

5. Flyers2011

It's all up to personal taste.

I dated a conservative asshole. Not saying all conservatives are assholes, but this guy was an asshole. After we broke up he called me stupid for being liberal and said that Obama was a worthless piece of shit. Hey it's one thing if you don't like my (or Obama's) politics, but don't insult. A good debate is fine, but nothing like that.

He was an asshole for other reasons, which I won't get into on this website, but you get the idea.

I wouldn't be opposed to dating a conservative, I don't try to shove my beliefs down other people's throats and I would hope they would do the same for me. We can keep how we vote out of the house. Almost like a, "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," (not being ironic here) Policy.

Like Voltaire said, "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

6. biosynth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i wonder if they were going by registered party for liberal and conservative, what we consider conservative in the US, Canada, and to some extent the UK and Australia is itself different from liberal and conservative in the rest of the world, i heard an Icelandic conservative politician on a radio show once decrying republicans liberal economic policies. added to that is that american political parties are much more open to different groups since we only have the two major parties and our parties have a long history of being very schizophrenic when it comes to there platforms (the democrats were the "conservative" party until FDR came in, and the republican Barry Goldwater was a presidential Canada who was for gay marriage and was pro-choice).

the study in the end doesn't say anything much since the definitions they are using are fluid concepts to begin with, added to the general schizophrenia of american politics its probably completely off to begin with.

7. Emberstone

I dont know so much in gay conservative circles, but heterosexuals, the more conservative you go, are going to be the most picky pricks you will ever meet. it mostly is centered in the pesudo-religious far right conservatives. I have known people who wouldnt let their daughters date guys because the guys had hair that was too long (not even to their shoulders, mind you). I know people who have disowned children because they married the wrong denomination. I even had a neighbor who kicked his son out of his house at the age of 15 because he was dating someone who came from a right of center moderate household, all because he said compromise is not a dirty word.

when you get to the people who wrap themselves up in their religion, alot of shit happens.

8. NickT

I'm dating a Tea-partier.

Deal with it. *Sunglasses*

9. biosynth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i dont know any republicans like that, its not really the kind of group i seek out in life. :lol:

10. FJ Cruiser

I'm really glad I've never run into anyone like that, and I live in the second reddest city in the States.

I don't get why people are constantly trying to generalize each other.

11. Danielle

Danielle Guest

I am politcallly picky but only on moral issues. Don't really care if about a persons economic beliefs.

12. Emberstone

not to pry, but are they into tea-bagging?

13. RedState

I have found that it is counter productive to talk politics when trying to get laid.

If i'm drunk and horny they could believe anything and I wouldn't care...until the next morning that is...