1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling totally ghetto!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by NiceGuy23, Aug 13, 2011.

1. NiceGuy23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So recently, after moving from Florida to Maryland, I learned that I have to attend a high school that is considered "ghetto"! OMG.

I don't really know how this turned out the way it did. I have moved into a nice development, and there aren't any slums around me or anything. Just a mall and a few restaurants.

Anyway, I'm a bit frightened because school begins in less than two weeks. Now call me -paranoid, but I'm afraid that my un-straight like attitude and personality will get me chewed up and spit out. The school DOES have a history of violence.

Has anybody out there had the same experience? Any advice?

:tantrum:

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I went to a bad high school. If they pick on you do not show how much it hurts you. This will just make you more of a target. Other then hat just keep your eyes open for fights and stuff like that. Once you start there you will be able to gauge what you need to do. Sometimes reputations of schools are worse then they really are. I know hat it was like that for my school. Good Luck!!

Also if there are bomb threats or stabbings don't panic... I did that and got made fun of forever. And also in most schools there are good places and bad places to be at. It takes some time, but learning these places will help you alot. Also make good friends, they can help you too. Sorry this was so long...

#2 BradThePug, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  3. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

hmm my highschool is considered like that by people I know :s the best thing I think you could do is get involved in school leadership stuff like student council , it might work because it really has for me even though I'm like the oddest person ever but no one ever picks on me cuse I'm like involved in alot of leadership programs :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: suprisingly though my school doesn't have many bullying problems even though it's not considered a very good school -.-

4. biosynth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i finished my senior year at a school like that, i read a lot and keep to myself (im socially repressed sadly) and no one bothered me because i wasn't an interesting target.

i wouldn't come out though.

5. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I went to a rough high school too. I'm not joking or exaggerating when I say that students would sell cocaine and other things from their lockers in-between classes and after school. You just have to be confident in yourself, and don't let anyone push you around. Get involved in an activity or something, and you'll be fine. You just have to find your niche.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, that happened at my school too. Also, they would sell it in the bathrooms. Just ignore them. At my school I was involved in both band and broadcasting, so I was pretty involved. It's good to get involved, not only do you meet people, you learn cool stuff too.:slight_smile:

7. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't really like the word ghetto and I'm doubtful that suburban Maryland could be all that "ghetto" anyway. Just relax.

8. Olive

School reputations are funny. The football coach of our rival team said that all my school is are "A bunch of potheads and skateboarders."

It's true, but still.

9. Danny19

hmm well my high school had a bad reputation. not violent but just bad. when i got asked what school i went to and i would say where. their response was "sorry about that" lol anyways. Even thought it was bad, it was the most gay friendly high school in my city. so who knows you just gotta take a risk.hopefully everything turns out good :slight_smile:

10. Just Adam

My high school wasnt naturally accepting. I found best way to get on with people was to make fun of myself. I dunno guess it showed bullies and thugs they couldn't get to me and in the end made me more acceptable to people.

If you have trouble though please don't stand foe it. You shouldn't have to suffer trying to get an education. Go to the principle and I dont know try and get a transfer or something. I don't know how it works in America.

11. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

I went to a pretty bad high school. People thought thy just because it was private that it was safe. Couldn't be farther from the truth. It just got closed lol

What I did, was I tried to figure out who the assholes were. I didn't steer clear of them, because that gives them the idea that you're intimidated. If they come around you, don't be loud or obnoxious. That will give them a reason to mock you or start shit. Just play it cool and stay low-key. That's the best advice I could give, and I think it will help.

12. Leif

I'm sorry you've moved into a school with a bad reputation. One of the best things to do is just use your common sense. Stay away from bad crowds, if it looks like a fight is going to break out get yourself Far Away. On the other hand, give your new school a chance too, who knows it might not be as bad as you've heard.
    I myself went to one of the worse High Schools in Las Vegas. Fights were a everyday thing, the bathrooms and most of the west side of the school reeked of weed. I had my first experience with pepper spray in the cafeteria (good times, good times...) But I also met some of the most understanding and awesome people I've ever known. So try to make the best of a bad situation and I hope everything turns out well for you.(*hug*)

13. Flyers2011

I went to a school in suburban Ohio, close to a bad area of a big city, but because of zoning, the parts of the 'bad neighborhoods' weren't included. Still we got a lot of transfer students from the 'bad areas' and they were mostly outcasts because of the way they acted.

My advice, even though I didn't go to some where like what you're describing, keep your nose clean, follow your gut. If a situation feels bad, try to avoid it. Try to get involved in positive activities that will (hopefully) keep you out of harms way.

As for being gay, it all depends on the student, if you're afraid of being out don't come out at first. Get a feel for the school then decided whether or not to come out.