1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Fashion Sense: Stereotype or Truth?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Phillip, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Phillip

As the title says, is it an observable phenomena or stereotype? Have you found that your sense of fashion became more apparent as you came to accept your sexuality? Is there a connection?

Personally I feel like there is a connection between sexual orientation and fashion sense. I've stopped worrying about clothing being "gay" and started dressing in things that I like/make myself. Maybe it has to do with more self acceptance in LGBT people.

2. Shmoe

Stereotype. I don't worry about looking gay, If I did, People would think it was a joke.

3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Stereotype. I have no fashion sense.

4. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My fashion sense involves walking into shops and clutching shirts marked medium in a blind panic... It's not a pleasant experience.

5. Dragonfyre173

I think that there is some root of truth in this; homosexuals typically do have more self-acceptance, and thus they don't mind sticking out more. Maybe it's not just dressing "femininely" or having a good fashion sense, but just not being afraid to dress more boldly.

6. Giorria

Giorria Guest

First sentence of my post in http://emptyclosets.com/forum/chit-chat/48971-girls-clothing-2.html I also dress the same as I did before I came out.

I see it as a stereotype, its not as clear cut as orientation being a factor in fashion sense in my eyes. Its one of my nightmares being stood in a store having to look at clothes for what seems like decades. :lol:

7. Ridiculous

On average I would say gay males dress better than straight males. I don't know about females.

Actually as you said, it's probably only the 'out' gay guys that this applies to, because they've come to terms with themselves and aren't worried about society thinking of them as gay due to their clothing. Closeted individuals may "dress straight" (yes, it's ridiculous to call clothing straight/gay but you know what I mean) either consciously or subconsciously so people won't suspect them.

And there're always exceptions to the rule for both gay and straight people.

Of course there is probably an element of confirmation bias in this, because you're going to notice the gay guys that dress 'gay' while assuming that gay guys who dress 'straight' are actually straight and therefore they won't be counted... if that makes sense. I can't make words today.

8. Dragonfyre173

Hmm... There's also two things that could be happening here:
    - Some gay guys feel the obligation to dress as per the stereotype, either subconscious or not, to feel more like they "fit in" in society.
    - People pick and choose at the most embarrassing stereotype :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, not really in my case, when I walk into the shop, I buy usually what I like, then cross mix and match it with stuff I already own. I usually don't care if people point and stare or what ever they think. It's me who has to wear the clothes not them.

That said however, I am not into fashion and when I go into a store, it takes me less than 30 mins. to get what ilike in more or less my size and stand in the checkout cue.

10. Veronica

No idea really. I do care about women’s fashion to a degree. Shoes mostly. Find men's fashion generally very boring.

Stereotypes are just that. Some fit and most don't. A gay guy I met the other day said he absolutely hated it when girls assumed he loved shopping just because he had that stereotypical gay behaviour about him.

11. maverick

I care a lot about fashion (I could spend hours browsing Bluefly and fashion blogs) I just don't apply those aesthetic principles to myself. It's all theoretical knowledge for personal entertainment. A hoody and jeans pretty much does it for me.

Now if I had a ton of money and leisure time to throw at the hobby, I'd probably be a hell of a lot better dressed. As it is, I'm happy with a simple wardrobe.

In my personal experience, queers do generally have better fashion sense than straight people. But I wouldn't go so far as to say all gay people can dress. I've seen a handful that looked a hot mess.

12. Mr.Pushover

Stereotype. That doesn't stop me from looking good though ;D

It's all in the individual.

(One thing that annoys me though, is when a person plays the stereotype with the anti-stereotype. I think that it is ALWAYS the individual, not the stereotype or the anti-stereotype.)

13. Colton

It's basically a sterotype. I just buy clothes I like, and wear whatever. I rarely match,, ahaha!:slight_smile:

14. Phillip

I'm not one to spend a great deal of time shopping for myself. But now I'm finding nice clothes I bought a while ago that I've barely worn cause I was afraid they looked "gay." I feel dumb and for not wearing them:bang:. And I didn't mean to convey that there was only the stereotype or the anti-stereotype, I just wanted to hear peoples opinions and personal experiences on the subject.

15. maverick

Maybe we just don't understand how our fashion sense works. It's like, we just think we're throwing something on to walk the dog, but everyone else is all,

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsEV8H5WSUo&feature=fvwrel[/YOUTUBE]

"How majestic!" :lol:

16. Phillip

Haha, that's a good point maverick. I feel like that's happened to me before.

17. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If I really want to dress nice, I will. Otherwise, I can be quite a slob. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

My fashion sense is pretty close to that. I know what looks good and what doesn't. Actually buying the clothes and wearing them is a completely different matter.

18. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I think it's a stereotype but there's always a kernel of truth in each one that can't be ignored. I think that, on average, gay men are much more fashion coordinated than a straight guy would be but obviously not all gay men are stylish and straight guys can be stylish if they want.

Personally, I have a very good eye for color, and I go shopping with my friends a lot because they trust me to dress them. On the other hand, my ex couldn't dress himself at all. He would show up wearing khaki shorts with a khaki T-shirt and sandals and then he would ask me why I was making a face and I would pretend I didn't know what he was talking about.

19. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've become so much more interested in fashion since I decided I wanted to come out. Before I didn't pay any attention to what I was wearing. Now when I look at what I used to wear it looks so bad I can't believe I used to wear it.

On the other hand, most of the gay guys I know dress pretty average, while I know a few straight guys who are good at looking fashionable.

20. SamAlex728

This.