1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK Exam Results

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kerze, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    AS and A2 results day has come; who else got their results today?

For my AS's I got

English A (!)
    Performance Studies B
    History C
    Philosophy and Ethics D

(though to be fair, my philosophy and ethics teacher has been fired...)

Anyone else? Did anyone get into uni?

2. Helen

Helen Guest

English - A*
    Music - B
    Music Tech - B
    French - B

I got into the uni I wanted to study Music, so I'm happy. I'm a bit disappointed about my Music and French results, I was expecting to do better. The English result was a wonderful surprise, though. :slight_smile:

3. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done for that A*, Helen.

4. RGuy

Good luck to everyone getting their results today!

5. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I know My results like 5 weeks ago, i got BTEC nation diploma in computing grades MPP

6. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A little disappointed about my results, which cost me my place at Oxford, but I'm at my backup, which I'll be much happier in anyway :slight_smile: Very well done to everyone so far :grin:

Maths A2 - A
    Physics A2 - B
    Biology A2 - A
    Further Maths AS - B

7. FJ Cruiser

Does anyone mind giving a quick rundown of how the British education system works? Is university admission based solely on test scores?

8. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, correct me if I'm wrong guys, but;

THE EDUCATION SYSTEM

GCSE's - taken when you're 16 at the end of year 11 in a large number of subjects, graded A*-U. Basically everyone takes them and everyone has to do subjects like maths, science and English and then people choose other options. If you want to you move on to 6th form and do A-levels or diplomas/vocational courses which I do not know about

A-Levels - you take these in 6th form/college. You only take between 3/5 subjects, most people take 4. In the first year you do AS-levels, at the end of that year you drop subjects until you have 3 and then in the second year you do A2's in those subjects. You also apply to universities in the second year through UCAS

As far as I am aware;
    You apply to 5 universities via UCAS

They send you a rejection, conditional offer or unconditional offer based on your application which includes AS results, predicted A2 results, teacher statements and a personal statement

I think you then accept two of these offers, one as your main option and one as your backup choice.

In august (today) you get your A-level results which combine your AS's with the A2's you just took. If you met the conditions of your offer then great, you accept your place and go to uni. If not you have to call up the uni and see if they'll still take you even though you didn't get your grades or if they have similar courses they could put you on.

If not then you can go through clearing, where all the places that didn't get filled are given away, it's basically a free for all where people end up at some random uni they've never heard of doing a course that's a little bit close to what they wanted but not really (my friend wanted history at Manchester and has ended up at Royal Holloway doing politics)

9. Cantthinkofone

FINALLY SOMEONE WHO TOOK FURTHER MATHS!!!! I was thinking of taking it next year but I'm not sure...I'm pretty good at math but I nearly fainted when I saw the past papers. What was your experience with it? Is it as hard as it seems?
    congrats btw :grin:

10. Ben

Ben

Ah <33 Warwick will be super-fun, my brother just graduated from there :grin:

11. Zontar

How do you get a C in history? :s

12. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got A in one exam and D in the other, which evened out as a C. It was awful, I panicked about the questions and started making stuff up :thumbsup: I'm gonna have to do 3 resits :bang:

13. Just Passing

Well I didn't do A Levels, but I have been in college for the past three years and this year, I got BBC overall (funny really, after the broadcaster :grin:), but I'm not sure if it was just for those last three units or the whole year. I got told these grades at the end of my third year anyway in May, so months back.

One thing I have realised is, I'm definitely working harder next year, I can definitely do better for myself.

And well done to everyone for their exam results and congratulations to my fellow Brits/Scots/Welsh/etc. :slight_smile:

14. Enaithor

ASs:
    Music - A
    Maths - A
    Chemistry - B
    Psychology - C
    Biology - C

Slightly unfortunate as I want to study Psychology at university....I know I can get at least a B (I literally did less than an hour of revision before unit 2), I'm just hoping that if I get my teacher to predict me an A or B that the universities I apply for believe her!

15. Sadepeura

All of this is correct, except in Scotland instead of A-levels you have Highers and Advanced Highers. I assume they are the similar to AS's and A2's in England. There are some differences though, because Scotland has it's own education system. But basically it's normal to leave school with just Highers, but many stay for an extra year to take Advanced Highers.