1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Organization skills

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ty, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Ty

Ty Guest

How are your organization skills? Mine are usually quite terrible, but today I've brought folders and a binder to hold all my school work so maybe i'll be a bit more organized..... :slight_smile: anyone have any personal tips? Tell me about your organization skills!

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Do you mean organising your time and schedule, or do you mean organising files and paperwork etc?

For work I find a to-do list and a calendar for appointments and deadlines is useful. With the to-do list I can set priorities so I can see what should be done next and what can wait for now. I use Thunderbird for email , and there is an excellent extension for this called Lightning which adds the calendar and to-do functionality.

For files (on the PC) and paperwork it is really a matter of spending the time to get it reasonably organised initially then trying to keep it that way as you add stuff. It's not always easy though, especially when short of time.

If you are creating a wordprocessor document for example, give it a meaningful filename which includes the date and content so you can find it easier later. Try to be consistent about the naming format too - for example "Physics assignment (magnetism) - 26 Nov 2007". Then the search in Windows (or whatever) will find it if you are searching for documents with "physics", "magnetism" or "Nov 2007" in the filename. It only takes a few more seconds than calling it "physics22" but could save a lot of time later.

Organising into logically named folders helps, but if the filename is good you'll be able to find it wherever it is.

I'm not suggesting you rename all existing files that way (unless you really do have nothing better to do), but you could perhaps group them into folders then start with the logical filenames. It could be a good new year's resolution!

3. Ty

Ty Guest

I mean in all ways... kinda....

Yesterday, i opened my iCal application and have started logging things into it for organizational purposes. I've also used Address Book and Mail apps (on mac) to further organize things. It's a start =]
    I think time management (with homework and stuff) should be my main objective though.

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

With homework where you probably have no more than a week to get it done and the tasks take hours rather than days, you could find it easier to use an "old fashioned" paper calendar or year planner. Just write by the dates what homework has to be handed in. Once the job is done you can tick it, mark it with a highlighter or put a red line through it (don't scribble it out or you may forget to take the completed homework in).

Then you can see at a glance what needs to be done next (the one on the date that's closest and not already done). If there's lots of stuff due in a few days you know you have to make a start on it straight away (you decide which to do first - I tend to do the quicker ones first to get them out of the way).

Woolworths sell a basic calendar with space to write by each date for 99p (Markie bought a 2008 one the other day for marking birthdays etc on).

5. sdc91

Yeah, I use a paper planner and iCal to organize due dates. I've kind of stopped using it as the semester progressed, though. Oops.

As for physical organization, I'm pretty neat and I usually put everything in its right place so I can find stuff later. Unless I'm feeling lazy, then I just toss stuff on the ground (but I clean it up later).

6. Ty

Ty Guest

[​IMG]

Organizattionnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

7. EthanS

EthanS Guest

oo nice pic ^_^.. well i lost all my skool work and most of my certificates and examination results so.. im terrbiel :grin:, and i even lose my money sumtimes .. -_-

8. dictionary

I like pretending im organised like my "filing system" in my draws its a very "complex" system....

I usaly just throw things in my locker at school so i end up having english in my maths books and french in my science book and everything in my RE book ....

9. Tom

Tom Guest

my idea of organisation is tht every little piece of school work or anything to do with school goes in my school bag and stays there, it works. until i forget where abouts in my bag certain peices of homework are lol

10. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    yeah for college I had a nice neat folder for every subject.. until a couple of weeks in to the term when i'd just get lazy and slot new work, etc in between random pages. Before you know it... takes me 10 mins just to find what I was looking for.

Now.. well I generally have a lot on in my life now. So at work I work off of their diary system on the network, it's called citrix, and has like e-mail, calendar, discussion databases, etc all in one software package. Whereas at home and for my other commitments I tend to pop them in to my phone's calendar.

Atleast then I can set reminders and always be where I need to be and usually on time.