1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, what do other countries think of the Brits? ;)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ty, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Ty

Ty Guest

Put what people from your area in the world think, and then your country. I wanna see how many countries hate us :grin::grin:

2. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

...This is Newfoundland. If England had an ass, we'd be kissing it.
    From what i know, we all love ya down here, i still see a few houses still flies the their union jack right next to the Canadian flag. Guy Fawkes night is still really popular, although we can't have fires nowadays, to many false alarms for firefighters.

Canada on the other hand.. i wouldn't be able to tell ya. But from our history, Canada and Britain were always close friends, there was a big rebellion 'cuz the French hated how we always flew to her beckon call.. the Fenians (Irish rebels) weren't to happy with us either. lol

#2 Proud1p4, Nov 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2007
  3. Ty

Ty Guest

Haha wow one country likes us :wink: The french, as far as i know hate us hehe so thats proberly why they dislike you being friendly with us ^_^ woo

4. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a relatively favourable impression of the UK, except for how Blair supported Bush in declaring war on Iraq. And how freaky Thatcher was. But that's some specific governmental drawback and of course lots of countries have lousy governments from time to time: just look at Canada right now!

My Mum was British so I have family there, not that I really know them, but I'm going over to meet them in March.

I love the idea of your train system... kinda hard to do in Canada, where we have one of the lowest population densities in the world. And castles! We don't really have castles in Canada, certainly not in the West. Oooh... and the Chunnel. That sounds freaky but cool.

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I don't think, generally speaking, we like the French very much either. Or the Germans for that matter.... The Eurovision Song Contest voting shows what other European countries really think of us (though crap music doesn't help).

I think the UK has more in common with the USA than with most of Europe.

It'll be interesting to hear what other countries think of the UK. I think the UK considers itself to be superior sometimes, probably an attitude from when we had a big Commonwealth. We probably aren't as popular as we would like to think though.

(Note that's my views, not facts)

6. Jeimuzu

Eurovision is without a doubt the greatest thing ever! Terry Wogan off his face on Baileys, making fairly dodgy comments and saying usually exactly what we're all thinking.

Kicking about somewhere, we've got the castle that Harry Potter was filmed with. :slight_smile: Think it's quite near me! :grin:

#6 Jeimuzu, Nov 26, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  7. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the rebellion was probably more to do with the fact that Britain conquered New France, i.e. what is now Canada. Conquered people tend not to like the people who conquered them. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

Um....idk....the US.....we dont even talk about you guys lol your just like our friend in war times XD

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Well the news channels in the USA don't talk about anything that happens outside the USA, unless it's affects the USA or is such a big story that they can't ignore it.....

10. Ty

Ty Guest

English people do have a rather pompous attitude to eastern european people, regarding them as euro trash. Proberly another reason why alot of europe don't like us =/

11. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know this might freak some people out but historically France and Britain are pretty much the same country! Like, why do you think English and French are such similar languages? All through history, you guys just conquered one another back and forth. And then you finally got over the enmity for WWI and WWII, which is cool.

Okay, okay, maybe saying you're the same country is a little strong but seriously, there are a LOT of common threads and similarities and commonalities. Plus Canada is your weird love-child.

Tell me you did NOT say that. That's a HORRIBLE thing to say (plus I think it's totally untrue). Plus you're in the EU, like it or not, euro or not, so I don't think you're going anywhere soon. And seriously, Europe is just way cooler than the US.

You're relatively popular in Canada. Well, with certain groups in Canada. Certain groups hate the fact that the Queen is still our head of state, even though the last time Britain was directly involved in Canadian affairs was nearly 100 years ago. Of course, we didn't have to rebel against you for our independence, so I can see other parts of the Commonwealth not liking you very much. Australia seems all very pro-Republic and anti-Britain, although maybe that's just more about the style of government and not about the UK in general.

And we feel sorry for you guys that Blair was dumb enough to support Bush. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

That view is prominent here in Herefordshire, where we have loads of people from Eastern Europe working here each year picking strawberries and doing other manual labour farm jobs. They are poorly paid and provided with inferior accommodation, and tend to be the butt of jokes in the area. :frowning2:

13. Jeimuzu

Joey, in my honest opinion, it wasn't dumbness that he supported Bush, I think Blair probably stopped Bush doing another hundred stupid apocalyptic things. I'm not really all that anti-Blair, myself. He brought in some damn good laws, and if you ever saw a Bush/Blair press conference, Blair would always be clarifying and correcting stuff Bush had said.

The amount of destruction I think Bush would've caused without Blair... well, I think Blair did a good thing there myself.

Okay, the war on Iraq wasn't good, but I can't help but point out... Saddam, Uday and Qusay were horrible people. It's been planned badly, and the whole war went wrong, but I've got no qualms about the reasons, myself.

14. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

=[. Well ya i dont hear anything like big outside my tri-state area unless its big. But hmm...in our textbooks learning about the mOTHER lAND England .....um the kings were meanies lol thats all i can really say due to me not paying attention....and yes i know that will comeback like next year and bite me in my ass. I think i have a american history regeants next year.

15. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

We certainly hear a lot more about the USA in the news than about other EU countries.

A lot of people here want out of the EU...

Indeed.... :icon_sad:

16. Ty

Ty Guest

Ah yeah, hear about that "United States of Europe" thing? I think we should just keep to ourselves tbh =]

17. Jerr

I don't mind. Takes all people from all places to make a world so kudos to living where you do. lol

I always think the Brit Boys are cute... Can't help it.

18. panda

Canada still has the Queen on a lot of our money.Just about all the coins have the Queen on them and I'm looking at a $20 bill with a lovely picture of the Queen.The Ontario Flag (ensign) has the Union Jack in the upper left hand corner.There is a faction of people that want to completely separate from England but they are still in the minority
    As time goes by the original "Brit" ruling class is being outnumbered through immigration but that is another matter.
    My favourite statement about the French is Homer Simpson saying " I'm as dirty as a Frenchman."

19. sdc91

What do I think about the UK? Uhh, tea and crumpets? Just kidding.

I went to London when I went on a European trip a few years ago, and it was pretty fun. Did the whole touristy thing. I must add that it was foggy, cold, and rainy the entire stay.

On a side note, I know bashing the US is popular in some parts of the world, but don't lump us all together. We're a very diverse nation (in my old school district, we had students who spoke a total of 84 different languages and dialects). Most Americans disapprove of Bush, too, you know. And as for news sources, I read articles from a bunch of American papers online as well as European papers, so I'm not just focused on the US.

Yup, that's all. I hope that didn't sound like a rant.

20. dictionary

I could never dislike mother country!!!!!!
    All the good tv comes from Britian

I have this british kid in my class he moved here this year and he is like a school hero lol

Everything exept for the chavs is good......