1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introduction to Queer Studies class

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by J Snow, Aug 21, 2011.

1. J Snow

So I'm trying to round out my class schedule before they start tomorrow, and for my U.S. Diversity requirement there is a class available called Introduction to Queer Studies. (which is considered a Women's Studies class which doesn't make much sense to me) Well it sounds like it has potential to be a positive experience, but I'm not entirely out of the closet, and even though I've told my parents they'd be pretty livid if they found out I took this class. They are hardly okay with my being gay.

So, anybody ever taken some some similar classes and tell me if they think this would be a good or bad idea to take given my situation.

2. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some things I took note of:
    You need the class for a requirement.
    It interests you.
    It could definitely benefit you.

If there isn't any other class that can fulfill the requirement that interests you as much, I say go for it.

3. J Snow

A thought just came to my mind is the parents are gonna be paying for my books, so idk how well that would work out...

4. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never done a module specifically about queer studies, but I did studies about LGBT discrimination and prejudice for my sociological research modules, and that covered queer studies quite a bit during it. It's definetly worth studying if you have an interest in it, and its literature really does allow you to think outside the box and get a deeper understanding on queer theory (beyond what would be basic common sense issues).

You could also take the class and use it to your advantage. You'd likely be studying attitudes like the ones you face, so looking at them in an academic context and researching literature to counter those attitudes can be a pretty good tool for empowerment when dealing with discrimination. After all, knowledge is power, so I'd say go for it and use that knowledge to challenge any prejudice people may aim at you. You'll have academic knowledge to use in arguments, which will always beat ill-founded prejudice. :slight_smile:

Martin.

5. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As someone who has a degree in Women's Studies, I think that Queer Studies would fit in. I prefer the name Gender Studies rather than Women's Studies -- but that's another story. I say take the class. If your parents are not okay with it tell them you need it for a requirement, which is true. Go for it. :slight_smile: And hope you have fun with it!

6. J Snow

Well I signed up for the class. I'll scope it out tomorrow. If I like it, I'll stick with it. If not, its not hard to switch classes the first week.

7. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  8. British Lad

British Lad Guest

this may be good and all but what practiced use does it have in the work place?

9. ElizabethAnne

Oh geez. In my mind, there's nothing better than a bit of knowledge to help broaden the mind. I'd say if you can at all do it, go for it. Even if you need to sign up for another class and then switch to this one because mysteriously this is the only one that actually fulfills your requirements. I'm a science major and a women's studies class actually changed my life. I'd say do it if you can!!!!

10. J Snow

Well, I'm a psychology major, and if I decide to go into social work, I would think it could be awfully relevant information. A lot of troubled youth deal with LGBT issues. My bf is gay and was in foster care growing up and good social workers were important to him.

I'm signed up for it. I'm kind of excited, kind of nervous, and mostly just don't know what to expect from it. I'd say there's a 50/50 chance right now I stick with it or drop it. I won't know until after I check it out today though. (plus the book for it is only like 15 dollars lol)

11. J Snow

Went to this class and it was overall a very positive experience. about 60% of the population seems to be straight girls that just want to make gay friends but I don't have a problem with that lol.

We are supposed to state our gender, gender identity, and sexual identity in front of the class next class though. Sexual identity I'm a little undefined in my mind still as to where exactly on the kinsey scale I would fall, but I can explain my situation. Gender identity I feel totally ignorant about though.

Either way, I'm really looking forward to. I was pretty shocked to hear someone in the class say they don't really like gay people though. I was kinda like, "well... what are you doing here bro?" lol

12. Gilarm

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm just wondering if they are using queer inthe same we that we would use it? It could imply unusual subject or methods rather than L,G, studies

13. Sadepeura

Sounds like a cool course! Let us know how the next class goes!