1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i was thinking this today and i dont have an answer

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hoping, Nov 27, 2007.

1. hoping

i saw this episode of west wing today and in part there was a story line of a 17 yo gay guy getting killed by sum teenagers. even though this one peticular thing wasnt real there are things like this happening everyday all over the world and i started thinking will we ever b accepted fully throught the world or at least not thought of as something that has to b wiped out. what are ur thoughts?

2. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It's sad that some producers think a gay teen getting killed by his peers makes a good story. :icon_sad:

3. pirateninja

Unfortunately there are and probably always will be close minded and ignorant people in the world.

Sad but true.

4. dictionary

Well we still have incredibly racist people and there arnt religions against races...... but there are about sexualitys.....

5. CrimsonThunder

Yes we will be, but not by 100% of the population, thats impossible.

I think that black people have it worse off than we do.

In 2 generations a lot more people will be gay friendly.

6. aussie paul

Perhaps the producers were trying to raise awareness, and promote discussion. Paul.

7. aussie paul

yes, In my work place we are gay friendly. One of the staff is gay and he has a life partner. They've been together for two years. His family are happy and accepting. His partner has come to drinks with us at work. Also other people where I work are open when talking about Gay / homosexual ppl - but many are from Asian cultures where these things aren't talked about too much. yep, maybe 2 generations!!
    let's hope so, Paul

8. aussie paul

unfortunately when i was in my 20s in the 1970s many Aussie people didn't like Gays / they were called 'homos' . Often Homos were bashed at Kings Cross, near Sydney. I had to deny feelings and hide feelings for men. I had to have a girlfriend or at least belong to a group who went out socially and I danced with girls. I usually had an eye on the boys though! So, 30 years later .. a generation has gone. So maybe only one generation to go! Paul

9. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well I think putting that kind of thing on TV is good. People don't realize that this still happens.

10. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    aussie paul and beckyg. Totally agree with your posts. I guess I was initially incensed and spouted out what I thought at the time. In hindsight, raising awareness and promoting discussion is always a good thing. :thumbsup:

#10 Bromptonrocks, Nov 27, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  11. SlickyPants

As others have said, I think that if a popular TV show does a show about homosexuality it is a good thing. The more it is "out there" I think the more people will be comfortable about it. Even an episode about a gay man being murdered for being gay raises awareness.

That being said, I feel very safe where I live. For the most part people are are pretty open about it. A guy was murdered outside of a GLBT club a few months ago but the police don't believe it was a "hate-crime." I understand that it is probably very difficult in some places. Some countries still have the death penalty in place for gays and lesbians. It makes me sick and thankful I am fortunate to live where I do.

Back to the show... I'm pretty sure the producers didn't have any ill-will when they made that episode. In another episode, the President makes a positive case in support of GLBT people. I wish the current President would be that supportive.

Here's a clip
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-zhNiGlogQ