1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Longest time working?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Robert, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What is the most days in a row that you have ever worked and what is your longest shift?

I am currently in the middle of an 11 day marathon. I'm working 13 out of 14 days. I am sooo giving myself 5 days off after this.

The longest shift I have ever worked is 9 hours, I think.

2. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Longest for me was 13 days straight: monday one week to saturday the next week.
    That's not too uncommon for engineering projects, though: sometimes you have to babysit the implementation and in those cases it's better to keep a close eye in the beginning. It could save you weeks of trying to find out what went wrong if a problem happens when you're not there.

Longest work shift was 21 hours straight: 7AM to 4AM.
    Again, babysitting a chemical process. I could have stopped at 1AM, but by that time I had missed my last train and decided on staying at work until the first trains in the morning left again...

3. Kidd

Kidd Guest

The longest I've ever done was 8 days in a row, and that was last summer. I worked a 12 hour shift for two of those days back to back--3:00PM to 3:00AM, when I usually would be allowed to leave at 11:00PM. Everyone in my department was forced to do mandatory overtime because all of the people in another department walked out that night and we had to train all of the newbies and basically work their job for them. It was pretty rough.

4. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    5.... I know that sounds pretty bad lol but I'm a substitute teacher and we work day-to-day basis so there are new jobs every day. So me working 5 days in a row was a week long vacancy I covered. I get paid for 6 hours but really only work about 4.5 hours since I have an hour break period and a lunch hour.

5. lostinthought9

About 3 weeks, all 12 hour shifts daily. Well, I switched to nights after the second week, but I was still working the same hours.

It sucked ass, too. Just one of the perks for working on a dredging company. xD

6. TraceElement

With one company, 20 days straight. When I was working part time with 2 companies, I had 6 weeks without a day off. The longest shift I worked was 18 hours.

7. Bolin

I've worked 6 days in a row (company policy forbids workers from working 7 days in a row), and the longest shift I've ever had was from 5am to 4pm (it was Black Friday... :grin: ).

8. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why?

9. mischa91

The longest recently was 6 weeks. i work for my dad and when we're busy we just go to work everyday, inc weekends :slight_smile: i mostly work from 8-6 everyday, sat & sunday can vary anything from 9-12 or 12-4ish.

A few years back i was working 3 jobs. In the morning from 6-11 i'd work at 1 barn cleaning stalls and doing other barn type things, then from 12-5 i'd work at my dads (where i work now) then from 6.30/7-9 i'd work at the local park giving guided trails on my horse. Then on the weekend i'd work 6-1 at the barn and go straight to the park to do trails until around 7. I even worked christmas day for 4 years in a row.

I work far too much, you think i'd be really rich by now but nope, skint as ever.

10. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I worked in a factory during the last two summers in-between semesters as college help, and it really isn't unusual for people to do that but that was easily the worst. The department that walked out was the lid department, and they make plastic lids for McDonald's and Wendy's and stuff like that, and it's very hard work, it's very fast.

One of the supervisors refused to slow any of the machines down, and we were in the middle of a heat wave at that time and it was a continuing problem. He runs the machines too hard and doesn't give his packers enough of a break and people just get sick of it and leave. People have actually fainted from heat exhaustion on the lid line before.

11. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was working at the park full time, I was working 60 hour work weeks.
    8am - 2am
    I'd work 6 days a week (Which I still do now)

12. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's actually kind of worrisome how many people have had to work 11+ hour shifts in a single day....recent studies actually show that even if its a job you love, working an 11+ hour day raises your chances of a heart attack by 67%. So guys...while I admire your perseverance and dedication to jobs, you guys have rights, unless you give written permission I'm about 98% possible that you can turn down working past the 8 hour mark. I dunno for sure as I'm sure laws are different in USA than Canada. But here, they need written consent from the worker to work more than 8 hours in a day. And we're entitled to one FULL 24 hour day of rest in a 40 hour work week. So yeah, guys, be careful about your health...