1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social Network Bosses to meet with the UK Home Secretary.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DarkClarity, Aug 25, 2011.

1. DarkClarity

There have recently been calls from Conservative politicians to block or rescrict the use of social networking sites during riots. Facebook, Twitter and BlackBerry bosses are expected to meet with the Home Secretary Theresa May to discuss the options available.

Facebook and Twitter to oppose calls for social media blocks during riots | Media | The Guardian

Twitter study casts doubts on ministers' post-riots plan | UK news | The Guardian

Considering that rescrition of social networking sites only happens in countries like China and Syria, when I heard about this it shocked me. I highly doubt that the social network bosses would agree to this though.

What are your thoughts on this?

2. maverick

I love Big Brother.

3. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    War is Peace.
    Freedom is Slavery.
    Ignorance is Strength.

But seriously, what do they think that will stop? There are so many other ways for rioters to communicate. And that's if the social network bosses agree to this.

#3 Ethan, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  4. TraceElement

Are they going to block texting as well? What about email? Forums like EC? Dating sites? AIM? Just because they block or restrict a form of communication, they will always find a way around it.

5. maverick

I think it goes without saying that I think this is super-fascist of the United Kingdom to consider (in the same vein as Iran knocking out their social networking during the Iran Revolution) but in one nation under CCTV, I can't honestly say I'm surprised.

6. Enaithor

This is stupid, they are acting like the social networks facilitated the riots. Ok, so technically they were organised via the social networking sites. But considering that I reckon that within each individual riot many of them knew each other or were connected to a small cluster of people, it could easily have been organised just by, you know, speech.