1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone here an fiscally conservative yet socially liberal?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by fiddlemiddle, Aug 26, 2011.

1. fiddlemiddle

fiddlemiddle Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Fiscally conservative person believes in free market principles in the form of less taxation, regulation, and is a proponent of capitalism. An socially liberal, it is a person who believes in social equality in the form of, perhaps, gay rights, feminism, and other issues. I believe I am am an fiscally conservative yet an social liberal person. Anyone here also the same?

2. Mr.Pushover

I'm fiscally conservative and socially moderate.

3. Enaithor

I'm socially liberal, but not fiscally conservative.
    But hurrah, finally, someone realises that fiscal conservatism and social liberalism are not mutually exclusive!

4. seedoubleu

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Me! I'm registered Libertarian, even. Fiscally I am *sometimes* in line with the Republicans, but I find they are tax-and-spend as well, particularly at the national levels. That said, I'm violently allergic to the Religious Right - I sneeze in their faces when they come near. Luckily I live closer to Boulder (liberal capital of the world) than Colorado Springs (conservative capital of.. well, Colorado at least).

5. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

My political ideals (i.e. how I wish things could be) are definitely fiscally conservative and socially liberal (because I prioritize autonomy and simplicity above all), but my practical viewpoints (i.e. how I believe things have to be) are more fiscally liberal.

6. Mad Man L

I am. Finally someone recognises that the two aren't mutually exclusive.

7. Leif

I was Just talking about this with my housemate. Pretty much exactly what Gamer Am I says.

8. JudgeDredd

I am as well. Although I lean more towards socially moderate and definitively fiscally conservative. glad to know I'm not the only one.

9. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not conservative in any way, shape, form or tie colour. :grin:

10. RedState

I am! But I'm more moderate than liberal when it comes to social issues (just because I think the 19th Amendment was especially silly :slight_smile: )

11. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    A lot of people are- I'd say that the vast majority of people where I live (northern suburbs of New York) are. I, however, am not.

12. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Really? I hope you're being sarcastic. :confused:

13. RedState

Ummm....that's kinda what the smiley face was for....

14. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    looks like i'm not the only person who can't tell when you're being sarcastic! =P

15. Veronica

Liberal all the way!

16. maverick

I'm pretty liberal across the board. I used to believe in state's rights until I realized how much damage corrupt politicians can do at the state-level. Basically at this point I think all forms of government are useless, some are just more useless than others.

My ideal government body is the egalitarian village (I actually looked into living in several communes after college - no lie). Out of all the various kinds of people I've discussed politics with, I liked the anarchists best. But the fact that they got lost during their own protest march sort of shows you what following "anarchist leadership" is like. :lol:

I do have a couple of conservative streaks. I believe in the death penalty. I don't like abortion (not that I'm going to prevent YOU from getting one, by legal means or peer pressure - your body, your choice). I support an overwhelmingly strong military, like the one we have right now, where we barely have to fight when we go to war because our military technology is so good. I think that government programs (including education) should be monitored stringently and cut when they're wasting taxpayer money. I think people should not abuse the welfare system, or the healthcare system. I think "illegal aliens" should have access to both, provided they are actively taking steps to be naturalized.

I would probably qualify as a fiscal conservative and a social liberal, except for the fact that fiscal conservatives end up protecting evil corporations through their legislation, and when it comes to evil corporations, my favorite form of fiscal conservatism is boycott.

#17 maverick, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  17. Marlowe

I don't think you can separate fiscal and social conservatism. There is huge intersectionality between class and race, immigration, ethnicity, and even perhaps even sexual orientation. (Consider the government resources that help homeless gay youth or alternatively counseling services they get through their school because they are afraid to talk to their parents.) Obviously on the issue of race and gender, it is even more prominent. It is not enough to legalize abortion. A woman can't choose if she can't afford an abortion. She can't choose if she can't afford birth control. She can't choose if she is forced into sex work due to lack of economic opportunity and her clients say, "NO CONDOMS." And you can ensure non-discrimination against blacks and Hispanics to kingdom come, but if they don't go to well funded schools, no amount of anti discrimination laws will help them succeed in college.

I also wonder what fiscal conservatism means. Given the huge deficits we have been running under the past two administrations, I am not sure that lower taxes a fiscally conservative policy. The original budget deal would have nearly 30% more than the one finally agree upon, but it was abandoned because it included revenue increases (like cutting out tax preferences for corn farmers) not even tax increases.

18. NickT

Economics is one of few subjects that seems to just go in one ear and out the other for me. I never understand it. That being said, I do have a few basic ideas. I believe that government should only intrude in cases of crisis/before crisis, that corporations need to be more ethically regulated, and that outsourcing should be limited. No idea where that puts me.

I know for sure that I'm socially moderate-leaning-liberal though.

19. Raeil

At least from the US definitions of "conservative" and "liberal" I'm definitely socially liberal, and my view on fiscal policy is a bit more centrist than conservative.