1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone play guitar?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by thevedman, Aug 29, 2011.

1. thevedman

I've been learning for a while now (I'm rubbish but I don't mind really), but I was wondering how people manage to make an F chord? I find it almost impossible!

On a side note anyone play any other instruments? Music is awesome.

2. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a guitar 'lesson' which consisted on my friend trying to get me to play a chord for 20 mins, me failing and her leaving in frustration because, in her own words, 'If I have to listen to you kill those strings any longer I'm going to break something':icon_redf

I am quite good at piano, I've been playing since I was 9 and I got a distinction in my grade 6 exam 6 months ago, I haven't played in ages though.

3. thevedman

Aw no man! I sure it wasn't that bad! Anyway I'm rubbish but I still really enjoy it, I think of it in punk terms; anyone who puts some emotion into it can get something out worth listening to. Some of my favourite songs are the simple ones with three or four chords. You should give it a go, much easier than piano!

4. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I may try again, but that would involve trying to convince somebody to let me play their guitar (which may be more trouble that it seems)

This thread has inspired me to play piano again for the first time in like 3 weeks :eek: (that's probably the longest I've gone before...)

5. Katelynn

I play the guitar, but I haven't been serious aboout it in years, so I've really let my skills go to hell now. Still, some of the greatest songs ever written were done with only 4 chords! Every Breath You Take by The Police is a great example of that & The Ramones pretty much built their careers on 3-chord sonic assaults, so you can usually write an entire song with only 3 chords if you put your mind to it! And my approach is, as long as I'm happy with what I play, then who cares what anyones else thinks? I play for me first, if anyone else likes what I'm doing, then hey, it's just a bonus!

6. Just Passing

I have relatives that can play the guitar, but I can't play it for the life of me. I tried bass, electric and acoustic, yet couldn't get the hang of it. That being said, I have plenty of fun playing with the Guitar Hero guitar with The Beatles: Rock Band on the PS3. :grin:

7. Noahroxursox

I doooo!!!!! I've been playing acoustic classical guitar for... hold on, let me think... 8 years now, I believe, and I'm quite good at it, if I do say so myself :wink: As a matter-of-fact, I have a lesson in an hour! I have to get ready!

8. maverick

I used to dabble with the acoustic guitar, but then I gave my guitar to a real musician because he used to be super talented and I felt sorry for him that he didn't have one of his own anymore, and I never used mine anyway.

Then he immediately pawned it for drugs behind my back.

(Jerkface.)

Long story short, now I play keyboard.

9. Noahroxursox

That's a very... interesting... story. Yeah. That's the right word.

10. Shevanel

I play guitar and some piano as well.

I miss my instruments. They're in NY with my family. So life sucks without them xD

11. blikeo

i play guitar and bass. mostly guitar tho

12. marvin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I play classical guitar too. We are a rare breed, at least where I live.

13. SlickyPants

I have an acoustic guitar. Do I play it? I suppose you could say that I "play it" or rather that I'm learning how to play it. The only song I can play fron beginning to end is Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. The main riff, solos, verses, the whole song. Other songs I've got certain parts figured out or I can only seem to play them at a slower tempo.

Here's a clip of Wish You Were Here for all you spring chickens out there.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j8mr-gcgoI[/YOUTUBE]

I could sure use some real lessons but right now money and time (pardon the Pink Floyd references) are a problem. For now I'm just learning the odd thing on my own as I go along at my own pace. A tip I found really useful and I heard it from an interview with Warren Haynes (long time guitarist for The Allman Brothers and some other bands). Apparently when he was learning to play he went into the bathroom and practiced in the dark. I've been trying it out and I have found some improvement. When you can't look down at where your fingers are supposed to be you eventually just learn by feel where they should go.

14. Leif

I play the guitar. Not to well but getting better. I play keyboard/piano as well. Also about to start teaching myself ukulele. Fun stuffs.

15. thevedman

No way! That's awful!

---------- Post added 30th Aug 2011 at 10:28 AM ----------

I LOVE ukuleles! They are so melodic, and anyone can have fun with one, always my companion when I go travelling :icon_wink

16. Connor22

I play guitar and Bass, Bass more though, I'm in a band so I kinda have to :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Dominoflare

Dominoflare Guest

I'v been playing electric and acoustic since i was 8 =D

18. Veronica

Played a bit, and tried to learn it properly a few times. Even took classes.
    Now I don't have a guitar. Gave it away last time I moved long-distance.

Thinking of buying a new one though ...

19. Bosco

Started on a classical back in grade 7
    then went through my angsty teen phase and played electric for a bit.
    I'm back on my classical now and have picked up the ukulele too! : )

Stopped lessons a while back though so it's been a while since i've done more than just strum chords and sing

20. mischa91

I have a guitar, does that count? I bought one years ago and really meant to get lessons and just never did. I do play the piano and the violin though so i'm pretty musical. I used to be in an orchestra but that was back in high school.