1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Story: UK teacher jailed over teddy row

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Paul_UK, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Full story here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7119399.stm

This story has been prominent for several days in the UK, and almost universal feeling here is that the Sudanese are ridiculously overreacting to what was an innocent mistake.

2. Ty

Ty Guest

Read that in the papers, terrible stuff happens all the time =[

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

One question that crossed my mind.... Why didn't that other teacher in the school speak to her about the mistake instead of going to the police? I do not understand the situation in Sudan at all.

I'm sure a number of other teachers etc from the UK working there will be considering their positions now.

4. Ty

Ty Guest

I know i would - you might accidentally drop an orange peel on a square meter of consecrated land and be castrated as punishment......

5. KazMaz

KazMaz Guest

It's crazy. It's a bear for cryin' out loud. :tantrum:
    Okay, rant aside, at least they didn't give her 40 lashes.

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I think 15 days in a Sudanese prison will be harder than 15 days in a British prison though. :frowning2:

7. KazMaz

KazMaz Guest

Yeah, probably right. Hey, completely off topic I know, but........is that your cat? :icon_bigg

8. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

I just read that they're going to deport her once her term in prison is up. She should count her blessings because getting forty lashes would leave permanent scarring.

But all that aside, the whole situation just shows how backwards that country is. I'd hope that all the British nationals teaching in Sudan would reconsider their positions like Paul said, it's obviously not safe for them to teach there.

9. Dantir

I heard that if she does get deported back to the UK, that the muslim extremists over here would find her and behead her. I hope not though...

10. Rette

I wouldn't be too worried about that. Hell, look at Salman Rushdie; that guy's had a fatwa on him for like 2 decades now.

I don't think the Sudanese government would be stupid enough to give a British national lashes, especially when she's become high profile. What I'm more concerned about is the Sudanese nationals that they get away with this on.

11. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    yeah i'd say that's a bit extreme and unlikely to happen.