1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turn offs??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by FloatingPiano, Sep 8, 2011.

1. FloatingPiano

What are your biggest turn offs/ deal-breakers for people?

My biggest one is
    - smoking/drug use/alcoholism

2. Being too smug/arrogant.

3. maverick

I don't mind people who smoke cigarettes or pot, and I don't mind recreational drinking, but I can't stand hard drugs or binge drinkers. Too many bad experiences with those sort of folks in college. And I'm having to help raise my cousin's kid because she's a meth/opiate addict, and lost custody due to neglect...so anyone who even experiments in those kind of drugs is not going to see hide nor hair of me.

Turnoffs for me:

* Someone who is uninformed about current international affairs and doesn't give a shit about them (political apathy/ignorance)
    * People who kiss their dogs or cats on the mouth (they lick their asses and - unlike us - they do not wipe)
    * Racism
    * Sense of entitlement
    * Unfounded arrogance (totally different than self-confidence founded on awesome)
    * Intellectual snobbery (about movies, books, music, etc...)
    * Morbid obesity (I don't mind if someone is overweight, but there is a limit)
    * People who refuse to apologize when they are obviously in the wrong
    * Vanity
    * Insecurity
    * People who dislike animals
    * Promiscuity
    * Refusal to compromise
    * Posessiveness/unfounded jealousy
    * Domestic violence
    * Lack of ambition (you don't have to aspire to greatness, you just have to aspire to something...people who float through life are fun to hang out with, but I wouldn't want to date them)

That's really all I could think of. And as far as the animal kissing thing goes, I would probably still date that person, but I'd prefer them to NOT do that in front of me, and I'm not snogging them until they get some mouthwash action going on. :grin:

(I have four dogs and three cats, they are like siblings to me, and I do not kiss ANY of them in the mouth.)

#3 maverick, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  4. Shmoe

Getting punched.

5. MusicMan12

I'm also turned off by drug-users and smokers. I don't mind people who drink, but I can't STAND being around people that actually let themselves get drunk. Once people get to that stage, you can't even have a real conversation with them anymore, so that definitly turns me off.

I also hate people who are just downright cocky. I mean, yes, it's good to be confident, but when every conversation eventually leads to "oh and i did ______ and I was the best" or something like that, I get really turned off.

I also get turned off by messiness. I'm not the most organized person, but when someones room looks like a tornado just blew through, I feel afraid to touch anything.

I'm sure there are more things, but smoking and drug use are the big ones for me...everyone has imperfections, so I've learned to not be picky and just look past those.

6. Zontar

Smoking is nasty. To anyone dating me: I really would prefer if you didn't cough exactly like my grandmother when blowing me. Doesn't help the mood.

I also hate people who can look great but don't take care of themselves. Being twenty pounds overweight and wearing a t-shirt that says "Windows is for n00bs" isn't going to get you in Vogue magazine.

I also don't like uptight conservative prude religious people...you know, that kind. Yes, God isn't going to send you to hell for kissing me.

#6 Zontar, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  7. Colton

Toms, smoking, and hella uptight-religious sort of people.

8. Gallatin

Smoking, disliking animals, obnoxious/ self-obsessed, and ultra-religious people who try to press their views on me.

9. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Arrogance and snobbery. People who always act like they're judging me for not being as attractive or not having the same tastes or not achieving as much academically as they do.

10. Mad Man L

Turn-offs - Looks:
    - Body hair aside from the 'necessary places'
    - Acne
    - Excessive Masculinity (both guys and girls)
    - Boobs the size of the moon (girls only)
    - Man boobs (guys only, of course)

Turn-offs - Personality:
    - Douchebaggery
    - Arrogance
    - Sluttyness

Turn-offs - Other:
    - Being a bogan/chav etc.
    - Drugs, smoking etc.
    - Anybody really into religion

11. Tim

Tim

Drinking to the point of alcoholism/smoking/drug use.
    People who would actually cheat on who they're with. I can't stand these people, I despise my brother-in-law because of it. He cheated on my sister, and she forgave him. I don't forgive cheaters.

Everything else I really don't care about. Those are just there because they harm other people, not just that person. (And since someone is bound to defend smoking, I'm also allergic to the smoke) I don't mind people who drink, just ones that drink to the point they are always drunk or are violent drunks.

12. Just Passing

Smoking and drug use are a definite and to an extent, drinking, but I can handle that in some doses. The former two though are disgusting and I despise being mistaken for a smoker in public whenever asked if I have a lighter. Do I really look like I smoke for God's sake?

Another is someone who is just too nasty to even like. Treats people and animals like crap and so on and so forth. Ignorance doesn't help either.

So basically, chavs leave me alone. :grin:

13. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Horrible personality. There's not much worse than having a horrible personality. And being around someone like that makes it easy to rub off on yourself. That's a huge turnoff for me.

14. maverick

Me either. It is unforgivable to me. It destroys all trust I have in a person.

And in other words, damn, I feel like I need to give up smoking now. :lol:

#14 maverick, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  15. daedalus

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    -Not so much drinking but people who get drunk all the time
    -Smoking (I'm not even friends with smokers. Period)
    -People who use their problems/situations/flaws as an excuse not to do things
    -People who do things for you and then throw them up in your face like you owe them the world
    -Liars (especially when they do it to shut someone else up about something)
    -Not so much lateness because it happens but when they don't say anything and then just pop up whenever 30-60 min later...all the damn time. (I know people who do this and they tell me I should be used to it.)
    -Body Odor/Bad Hygiene...I wish I was joking and didn't have to add this one.
    -Religion (start quoting god and I'm gone, deal-breaker#1)
    -Lack of or no sense of humor whatsoever (I basically live, breath and get through daily life on sarcasm and wise assery so this is a big deal breaker for me)
    -I would say racism to a certain degree. I have friends from all races and we all crack jokes on different nationalities and whatnot. If they're the over sensitive type that would jump on my case for being politically incorrect, they have to go.
    -People who can't handle money and spend when they don't have it/shouldn't be. I come from a family who's in debt for completely stupid and otherwise avoidable reasons and I know others who spend money left and right when they're in debt. I work hard not to be that and would not want a girlfriend who -is- like that.
    -The Self Entitled...you shouldn't be given anything by default just because you exist...(And I see this in my line of work everyday so yes, major turn off)
    -Too many tattoos. I mean it depends on how big it is or what it is but if you look like a sketchbook, I'd pass.
    -Hipsters---black thick frame glasses, bad fashion sense, obnoxious personalities, taking furniture off the street, "I'm cooler than you and you don't understand me" way of thinking

16. Hazel

The first thing that comes to mind is "clingy," then "insecure," like the kind of person who wants their text messages answered yesterday, needs to see or talk to me every single day (and not briefly either), worries I'm going to cheat on them when I go out with friends, etc.

17. Bi As A Kite

Being a complete douchebag, arrogance, excessively loud, mouthy, with a s**t grasp of the English language.

18. ezkill

I'm going to copy some things from some of your lists, because I know I will forget some things if I don't. Here goes:

Turn-Offs:

• Arrogance
    • Snobbery about the clothing you wear, and people who think the only way to express yourself and your personality is through your clothing.
    • Lack of ambition or goals. As maverick pointed out, have ambition about something, it doesn't have to be something over the top, or something extremely wonderful, just have a goal in life.
    • People who do not compromise.
    • Having a sense of entitlement.
    • Body odor (although, some manly odor really turns me on).
    • Having no tact or charm. This is a big one for me. I like people to know how to confront and talk to others appropriately.
    • Excessive anger.
    • Self-loathing.
    • "Flakiness" (i.e. flighty, doesn't show up sometimes).
    • People who are always late. When someone tells you to be there at a certain time, it isn't a suggestion.
    • Always doing things at the last minute.... however I procrastinate too so this isn't the biggest deal.
    • Bad breath. I know some people have a condition. Have a piece of gum.
    • Micromanaging; control freaks.

I feel like my list makes me seem really negative, so just for kicks, I'll include a few things that turn me on (not sexually, but mentally and emotionally).

Turn-On:

• Thoughtfulness, charm, and tact.
    • People who think before they say or act.
    • Intelligence, commitment, ambition.
    • Active listeners.
    • Selflessness.
    • Honesty and integrity. This one is the biggest turn on for me.

P.S. Maddy, I think you're just fine looking. Anyone who judges you for how you look is not worth your time!

19. Dominoflare

Dominoflare Guest

arrogance, rudeness, ignorance,hypocrisy, smoking, drugs, self-absorbtion, people who never listen, control freaks, un-hygienic, people who procrastinate, bad breath, body odour, nothing in common, no sense of humour, close-minded, cats, rodents...

20. just b urself

My turn offs are people who do drugs,and alcoholics.

---------- Post added 9th Sep 2011 at 09:52 AM ----------

oh and liars and cheaters