1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Judaism the most gay possive major religion?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by British Lad, Sep 9, 2011.

1. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I was reading that the Judaism are the most accepting religion in reguards to gay people as even the the most conserative people are neutral to it and even most rabbi's are willing to preform gay marrages, what are your thoughts? Have I miss understud?

2. maverick

I think Judaism is one of the more liberal religions when it comes to homosexuality, but I think Buddhism has them beat on tolerance though. They don't call homosexuality a sin at all in any text (Buddha does not address it). Homosexuality is not considered a barrier to enlightenment.

They preach against sexual misconduct, which typically only includes the following:

- child molestation
    - rape
    - sexual harassment
    - infidelity

Any sexual act which includes the following is not sexual misconduct:

- where there is mutual consent
    - where there is no harm done to anyone
    - when the breaking of a commitment to another is not involved
    - where our intention is to express affection with respect, and to give pleasure

3. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I see Buddhism as more of a philosophy then a achuale religion but I was talking more about the 5 main stream religions: Christainity, Islam, Judaism, Silkism and Hinduism. But in other respects Your right.

4. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    Buddhism is just as much a religion as any of those.

Orthodox Jews would disagree with your statement.

5. maverick

Westerners tend to do this, especially with the advent of Zen Buddhism. But in Asia, traditional Buddhism is very much considered a religion. The more ancient sects of it are actually polytheistic.

It is an older religion than Islam and Christianity, and a larger religion than Sikhism and Judaism.

(Not to disparage any of those other faiths, mind you.)

6. Psymark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think protestantism is quite liberal, is it?

7. maverick

You mean Protestant sects like Southern Baptism? Er, not quite. :dry:

[​IMG]

8. Enaithor

Some Protestants are, like Methodists.
    Catholics of any sort (Anglo- or Roman) and Orthodox are not homofriendly as far as I'm aware though

Correction: In the UK, Methodists can make up their own mind about homosexuality, and many are friendly
    In the USA, homosexuals are ok, but actually doing homosexual things is not
    D:

Further correction: In GB they do not bless our civil partnerships. So not as good as hoped, but you can still get away with radiating rainbows in a methodist church without the congregation casually getting out their fire and brimstone

#8 Enaithor, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  9. Mr.Pushover

I heard from a Jewish friend that she assumes they're that way, because they've been through discrimination enough in their lives, and knows what it feels like; therefore, they treat others the same way.

10. Just Passing

If I was ever religious, I would definitely go the way of Buddhism, but mainly for it's philosophy, so what do I know? :grin:

Though keeping on topic, Judaism doesn't seem to make too much noise in the world really. I hear more from Christianity and Islam, but from what I can tell, I think Judaism isn't as judgmental with sexuality like those two religions with the overly religious and the misinformed.

11. British Lad

British Lad Guest

Wrong there more netraul to it, I googled it.

12. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Hinduism is very similar. In some of their religious texts Gods change genders at will to interact with mankind and in the Rig-Veda it even says that diversity and difference is natural. It's important to acknowledge the caste system with Hinduism and India though. It's still a pretty homophobic and discriminatory culture.

13. Psymark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ooops....I think my thought aren't right....:eusa_doh:

14. maverick

Well there are a looot of different Protestant churches, ranging from Catholic lite to snake-handling churches. :grin: (I'll let you guess which is the more tolerant end of the spectrum, lol...)

15. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    Go to Brooklyn, ask any Orthodox rabbi - they'll tell you you're going to hell.

16. daedalus

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This. Or even go ahead and ask my family. I'm tempted to go to a Hasidic neighborhood and take a survey though....

17. fiddlemiddle

fiddlemiddle Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh really? not all of them,

Jerusalem Anti-Gay Demonstration Turns Violent
    Jerusalem -- Seven police officers were injured when members of an ultra-Orthodox sect staging a rally Sunday night to protest this week's gay pride parade in Jerusalem began throwing rocks and stones at them.

More than 10,000 haredi took part in the rally, far fewer than the 100,000 organizers had predicted would turn out. The sect had been given a police permit for the rally - to let sect members vent their anger over a decision to allow the gay parade to take place on Thursday.

Jerusalem Anti-Gay Demonstration Turns Violent

18. Psymark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    From Wikipedia: "Haredi or Charedi/Chareidi Judaism is the most conservative form of Orthodox Judaism, often referred to as ultra-Orthodox."

And they call is a sect it the news report.

I'm sure most Jewish people are embarassed that these people call themselves Jewish.

19. daedalus

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Actually, the Hasidim don't consider the Reform ones Jewish and are surprised when they learn people like me aren't an outsider. There's sort of 3-4 types of Jewish or at least how I've always been told to see it.

Hasidim - Uber relgious orthodox Jews. Can't open an umbrella on Saturdays religious. All the women wear a wig or hair covering if married.

Orthodox-Basic Religious--they wear the yarmulke/skirts, follow the religion enough that it's obvious but they still wear regular clothes. Not as extreme as Hasidim.

Reform--Follows all the major holidays and major stuff like Bar Mitzvahs, lighting candles for the dead on Yom Kippur, etc. Wears whatever they want.

By Birth/Used as an ethnicity at best: everyone else remaining...pretty much what I identify as. Ancestors descend from one or more of the three above. Although after I came out, I haven't been calling myself as Jewish as much but not just for that reason.

20. starfish

I though Jews didn't believe in hell.

As an interesting data point. During my last vacation I was driving around the Seattle area. I was out on Mercer island and saw a Baptist church with a rainbow flag flying out front. I was quite surprised.