1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asian stereotypes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Choucho, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Choucho

Alright, so I know this thread is really random and specific but it's something I see a lot and it bugs me very very much. Warning: this is going to be long and rant-y.

A while ago, I used a Japanese song on a cd to play in the background of a monologue I wrote for my drama class. It was a good song, very emotional and the singer's voice was so powerful it almost moved me to tears before I even knew what it was about. The girl was singing about saying goodbye to her father, because he abandoned her and her mother when she was very young. But of course the people in my class didn't know that, and I doubt it ever crossed their mind that the song had some real meaning.
    When the monologue was over, one boy said "What language was that?" and I said "Japanese.", to which he replied "I thought so." He and his friend laughed and started to imitate Chinese (not Japanese) accents and language, no doubt in reflection of movies they had seen in which the stereotypes were used as a source of humour. They were all "Chow main chin chong blah blah" and I just kind of rolled my eyes and thought "Idiots."
    A very similar scene occured when my mother told my grandmother I listen to Japanese music. But it's sort of funny in a way, because people don't even realize there is a difference in the dialect between Japanese, Mandarin, Korean, Thai, etc.
    Another fact that I'm sure they are not aware of, is that there are more English speaking people in China than there are in Canada (or America, if you'd prefer).
    I hear this stuff all the time, but people never challenge it because they just assume it's true.
    And this isn't Asian, but a similar situation I encounter is when people are surprised to learn they have computers and cars in Africa. One of the girls in my business class, quite loudly and shamelessly stated "I thought they just rode on donkeys"

But yes. >.< Does anyone else notice stuff like this? Or is it just me?

Edit: Oh, and I forgot one other thing that I remember discussing with a member of EC a while back. A girl in his math class got a better grade on a test than him, and exclaimed "But you're Asian!" Which is another annoying stereotype. People seem to believe them all to be some super-intelligent, anti-gravity karate, flawless-beauty race of genetically altered barely-humans or something. It's just like... rawr. -_-;

#1 Choucho, Nov 30, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  2. Ty

Ty Guest

Apparently i look slightly asian (im not, look gallery) so i used to get stick for that...i wont go into detail about what they called me but yeah....=[ i dislike stereotypes like that its really ignorant. Im glad im learned enough to know the different asian languages and i can usually distinguish between mandarin cantonese japanese and korean =]
    I enjoy learning languages and japanese is what im doing atm sooo....

3. Choucho

Yay! *jealous* I want to learn Japanese really bad. >.< And Korean.

I wouldn't like get angry at the average person for not being able to tell the difference between them, it's when people fail to acknowledge that the difference even exists that it becomes annoying. -_-
    But, oh well.

4. Ty

Ty Guest

The whole "ping pong ching chong" thing is so fucking annoying though =/ i told a "friend" that i was learning japanese and thats the sounds he produced..... Japanese, as far as i know, doesnt even use those sounds =/ (most charecters start with a consonant and end with a vowel, for example k.a ka m.a ma) but yeah....blah /rant over

5. Choucho

Yeah, no Japanese I have ever heard sounds like that. Let's do a comparison. I'm going to post the choruses to three of my favorite songs; one Korean, one Japanese, one Mandarin, just so people can note the differences.

Japanese: (Destiny -Taiyou No Hana- by Hitomi Shimatani)
    Ikusen no wa ino kotoba yori
    Anata ga sokoni iru dakede ii
    Dare mo kawari wade kinai kara
    Hokoe miga ashita eno hikari ni naru
    Ano sora wo taiyou wo no homoe

Korean: (In Hyung/Doll by Baby V.O.X)
    Nae gae muh mool luht ddun geu jjahl baht ddun shi gahn
    sohk ae suh
    Nahn in hyung ee uh sseul ppoon
    Dah eum saram ae gae duh mi ahn hae ji ji ahn kae
    Nahn yuh gi suh muhm choo ji mahn
    Heu reu neun noon mool kkah ji neun muhm chool soo up nah bwah

Mandarin: (Zheng Yi Zhi Yan Bi Yi Zhi Yan by Jolin Tsai)
    zheng yi zhi yan bi yi zhi yan
    ni yao zai dui wo hao yi dian
    mei tian shuo ai wo yi bai bian
    ding shi he wo lian ji
    zheng yi zhi yan bi yi zhi yan ren mei
    you shi quan shi mei
    xin teng ni jiu kuai yao beng kui
    ye xu ke yi zai gei ni ji hui

6. Ty

Ty Guest

7. Choucho

Exactly. -_-
    She has a good voice. ^_^

8. Ty

Ty Guest

thats why shes been played like 10000billion times on my ipod =p

9. CrimsonThunder

Well nope I've never experienced that. But it would be annoying so I can understand.

One of my friends is Japanese. ^^ Whenever I see him at work (Hungry Jacks) I say "So you think you're in Hungry Japs do you?" >_>

10. kgmn

wow, this is something that really bothers me too.
    I am in my fourth year of Japanese, and my first year of Chinese. I hate how people just bundle them all together. Each is beautiful in its own way and I hate how naive people are!
    You can learn so much about a culture by speaking the language.

I also get sick of being called an Egg ( white outside, yellow inside) or Wapanese since I study asian languages currently. ... And on top of that I study polish too, but that doesn't get noticed. only the stuff that is different.

I love languages though. each reveals its own beauty once you begin to uncover it and learn it.

11. CrimsonThunder

People usually get called Wapanese if they like Anime... >_>

12. Kimi

What is really annoying for me(I'm Japanese:slight_smile: ) is that everytime I met new people(in America) they ask me "So are you Chinese?"...I mean, I know there are great population of Chinese in there but why they can not ask "So where are you from?" That doesn't sound stupid and not annoy people.

Actually, one time, in my math class back in the states. Some of football players(yeah, the typical one) ask me to say something in Japanese(I hate when people ask me to do that. I mean, what am I suppose to say??) and I said something and they goes like "Chow main chin chong blah blah" so I said "Idiots" in Japanese:rolleyes: My teacher told them to stop it because they started to make fun of me or Jap or Chinese or whatever.

13. Kimi

Really?? I never heard of that!! Nor "Egg":roflmao:

14. dictionary

The people of Asian decent at my school do it to themselves

"ha i beat you on the test cause im asian"
    "Hong kong is better than australia cause its in asia and filled with asians"

the people who cant tall neihongo from (chinese for chinese) arnt very smart...

15. Vampyrecat

I'm a mad japanese/anime fan and I've never been called that...

16. Dizzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This stereotype doesn't exist in my school for asians in general, and there are few oriental races present in great numbers other than Koreans. However the Koreans are undoubtedly very good at mathematics, and the reason is because a) The Korean school system is harder than ours, so if they recently moved they have a head start, b) Due to the culture of Korea, most Korean families push their children more than English families, and the work pays off, and c) Many Koreans go to Korean School, which teaches them Korean, some Korean history, and some maths from the Korean system, which is often more advanced than ours.

17. Psychedelic Bookmarks

yes, i've noticed it to, choucho. and it sucks. i study mandarin and japanese, and they're so frigging dissimilar it's not even true!! have you ever seen ther average asian skits by mad tv? they're on youtube. they lambast all that stuff pretty well. and the thing about donkeys in africa - meh. some people are so ignorant. :frowning2:

18. Ty

Ty Guest

In south africa, they were saying they find it funny how surprised white tourists are when they come cause they expect them to be in loin cloths and theyre actually very westernized. (Went to south africa in October)

19. nisomer

i get those stereotypes all the time and i just tend to lay it off. i mean theres no point to get pissed over it, i usually take the "but your asian!" lines as jokes. but yeah the "ching chong" shit does get annoying.

i also think it is the duty of people with knowledge to share their knowledge with people who know less, or are sometimes even ignorant. So when people ask me about the difference between japanese and chinese or something about the stereotypes, i like to simply correct them and tell them the truth. and i think that works the same with gays as well. we shouldnt be getting pissed because other people are being ignorant, we should see it as an opportunity to educate someone, because we all know how it feels to be ignorant and then realizing that it was the wrong thing to say.

20. SpikySpice

My sister ask me if you are Asian whne she caught me visiting your profile, i was like, nnnnoooooXD

OMG you still remember that, yeha it was annoying, it makes me feel like Im stupid, I mean it makes me feel Im supposed to be smart cuz I, Asian, but yeah she was right, now I got better grade than her so she can shut her mouth up. But that's still annoying, one of my friend on here said I supposed to read alot,cuz Im Asian blah blah blah, that's urgh, it's liek all Asian are smart, so I dont have to study and still be smart, and if Im smart, Im not gonna be outstanding cuz all other Asian are supposed to be smart liek me too. Just blah blah blah

And more and more and more, one guy said I supposed to knwo how to fight, but Im Vietnamese, not Chinese, and you have to learn to fight to be able to fight in a rigth way, but he just like Im a sad American cuz I aint do anything liek Asian, or because Im gay and he said Asian men are not supposed to be gay but women could

And just yesterday in my oncert, I forgot some texts in a song and messed it up and one guy said how could you forget , you suppose to learn thinsg quick cuz ur Asian

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH, those things made me feel im superstupid and an ALIEN from outerspace, especially when that guy said Im not Asian but a Sad American cuz I dont have no Asian Traits

And my sister asked her new White boyfriend"why some white people dont talk to asian but tehy ignore them and stuffs" and he said cuz tehy are afriad of us, afraid of what , we dont eat nobody we are not monsters, I just couldnt understand that, but some peopel say Asian are cool, sometimes tehy got frustrated wiv me cuz tehy said I cant do anything, cant fight, cant act quick and stuffs

For any bad stereotypes, Imma try to go against it, liek Asian cant be gay or all Asian have to be short and thin X.x. Just all dumbass people trying to piss me off! And they are stupid cuz they dont knwo teh different between my language(Vietnamese) and Chinese and make fun of it.

And some f***ing people hate me and race me cuz they thought Im Chinese, and so dumb doset matter how many times I told them they forgot, an dwhen they knew Im not, they just like, pat my back, and being friendly, that was bullsh*t, I just walked away wordlessly

sorry for teh long post but I need to speak it out lol

#20 SpikySpice, Dec 1, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2007