1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any biking queens? BICYCLE THREAD.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by djt820, Sep 18, 2011.

1. djt820

I bought a mountain bike a few months ago in attempts to become a little healthier and I've been enjoying/hating the experience and wonder if anybody shares the same passion/hatred! I clocked in at 21 miles today and beat my previous record of 16.

I use a Specialized Hard-Rock with rear shocks, aluminum frame, and disc-breaks. I'm not a tech-nut but I know the basics.

2. olides84

Not owning a car anymore, I bike a lot. I have an Oxford bike which is nothing special really, but a few weeks ago I biked from Antwerp to Bruges - about 100km. There's no need for a mountain bike here because it's flat as a pancake and there's a network of bike paths around the entire country. Around the city, I don't use my bike, but use the Velo, which is the city bike program where you use a card and check out a random bike from one station and then drop it off at another station.

3. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Being that I'm without automobile and uninsured to drive, I bike as my main form of transportation. I think my bike is a Redline 510; I don't know the tech specs, nor do I really care, because it gets me from point A to point B in a manor I find more than satisfactory. I've never done any crazily-long biking routes, but over the summer, I biked a nine-mile (14.5 km) route both ways pretty frequently (at least once a week), and biked a six-mile route both ways more frequently than that. That's just what you gotta do when there's nothing to do in your town and the nearest cities are six and ten miles away respectively.

Aside from being my main mode of transportation, biking is also my main form of exercise, since I enjoy it so thoroughly. It really centers me, and it lets me think while still taking my mind off of everything (oddly enough).

4. maverick

I'm not but I wanna be at some point. I could definitely commute by bike if I had the stamina.

5. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    Once I leave home and no longer have anyone to bum rides off of, I will be.

6. mischa91

I bought a bike a few months back so i could commute to work and save money on gas. The ride takes me roughly 13 minutes so it's not far, i could easily walk it. I really enjoy riding my bike and have been out on the bike trail near where i live a few times. It helps that it's 6 miles and you reach a pub then 6 miles back.

I want to get into biking more but find the roads here slightly terrifying, i hate having to cross the busy roads because i've found people in cars tend not to notice bikes.

7. Chandra

I don't drive, so cycling is my main mode of transport too. My bike is nothing special and I'm gonna buy something better soon because I'm sick of the chain always falling off. :/

8. SlickyPants

I've been biking to and from work for the past three summers (not including this year). It's about 15 minute ride to work. I've also gone camping on my bicycle to a place about 130 km away which is about as far as I've ridden in one day.

This summer has been a little different though. In the spring I took my bike out of the shed and decided to give it a thorough cleaning and while getting rid of all the sticky, oily, sandy gunk on my rear derailer cog I dropped a crucial bit in the grass and lost it. I looked hours for it and couldn't find it and never bothered to replace it and so I have not yet taken my bike out for a ride this year. My parents also went away on vacation and let me drive their car all summer so that was also one of the reasons I never bothered ride this year.

Hopefully next year.