1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ALERT: Malware spreading among EC users on MSN

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Miaplacidus, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've noticed that a malicious piece of software (virus, spy program, unwanted program, trojan, or whatever it is) is spreading among EC users through MSN. So far I've seen three cases of infection. Said malware automatically sends a message through the MSN Messenger, usually when the affected user logs in. The message just says:

"www.free-offers-for-you.com :icon_wink"

DON'T VISIT THAT WEBSITE, as it probably installs, either automatically or by social engineering, the malware described above. The three users I mentioned run either Microsoft Windows XP or Vista on their computers - the malware doesn't seem to work on Linux-based systems, so unless otherwise proven UNIX-based systems such as Mac OS X can be considered safe.

I don't know the exact means of propagation of the malware, but I recommend infected users to immediately run a virus scan (if your antivirus software is not reliable, get AVG Free from free.grisoft.com), followed by a spyware scan (Ad-Aware is a good tool and the scanner is free, www.lavasoft.com).

It doesn't seem to be a really serious threat, but it's not nice either. So, let's try to eradicate this.

Finally, I'd like to say that the malicious software DOES NOT SPREAD THROUGH EMPTY CLOSETS. It spreads through Microsoft's MSN. However, it seems that it has spread among EC members who talk to each other using MSN.

Thanks for your attention.

2. Ty

Ty Guest

Re: ALERT: Malware spreading among EC users

Yeah i noticed this too, its kinda annoying lol. Mac users are safe, cause i accidentally clicked the link and nothing happened ^_^

3. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

After doing some research, I'll give you the info.

It is not actually malware: it is a malicious website which asks you for your MSN ID and password in order to see who blocked you. IT IS FAKE. Its method of action is the following:

1) User receives the link.
    2) User clicks the link and enters user name and password.
    3) The data is stored somewhere.
    4) From time to time, the user is kicked out of MSN. That is a consequence of his/her user name and password being used to log on to their accounts and send the links to all the people in his/her contact list. When a new user enters his user name and password, the cycle repeats itself.

SOLUTION

To get rid of that, change your MSN password. However, you are probably going to get spam on your Hotmail account as a result of your address being public.

4. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Im infected....!!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but i cba scannin XD

5. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

No one is safe. The way to avoid it is NOT ENTERING THE USER NAME AND PASSWORD on that website. Otherwise it's safe.

It is confirmed to work on Macintosh as well. The maneuver is known as phishing, or theft of sensitive information.

6. Ty

Ty Guest

Ah i assumed something downloaded when you press the link.
    You'd have to be pretty silly to type in your information on a dubious looking website like that =/ still, good thing you informed everyone.

7. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  8. xxAngelOnFirexx

i have a friend who kept sending me it so i deleted them. i almost clicked the link but i was having trouble so i didn't figuring it wasn't supposed to be sent to me.

9. CrimsonThunder

You can see who deleted you easily anyway. Silly website. >_>

10. dictionary

11. Jeimuzu

... You've got an odd sense of humour.