1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High School Statistics Toronto

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by panda, Dec 1, 2007.

1. panda

This is a survey filled out by students in the Toronto District School Board,in
    Grades 7-12.The board claims 105,440 completed the survey.
    This how students self identify.
    30% white
    20% east Asian
    19% south Asian
    12% black
    5% Middle Eastern
    5% mixed race
    2% Latin American
    1% less than 1% aboriginal

8% identified as gay,lesbian,bisexual or transgendered.

2. sdc91

8%??

There was only one out person at my old high school. And it had 2800 students enrolled. Wow, that's a big difference.

3. dictionary

There are more asian people east and south together than white people.......

4. SlickyPants

8%, eh? That's wonderful to hear. When I was in high school there were no openly gay or transgendered people that I knew of except for one of the teachers. There was one student who chose a gay-themed topic for a report and I made an assumption that he was gay (I was right, btw :slight_smile:).

I'm wondering now, how many of the students that said they were straight were actually in the closet. A lot of people seem to assume that GLBT peeps are a rare breed and not realizing that we make up a fairly sizable chunk of the population.

Of course there is no way to find truly accurate statistics. Some people in the closet will lie and that's a given in society today. There will also inevitably be people who are just goofing around and trying to be outrageous on an anonymous survey.

5. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

that is quiite a diverse school right there, thats pretty awesome. my school is basically the equivalent of wonderbread, like 95% caucasian...kinda boring

in terms of GLBT i think we have like 20 out of 1800 who might be considered out or at least partially

#5 Kovax14, Dec 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2007
  6. bugzzie13th

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Wow. We have 200 students at my school and there are at least 10 of them are "out and proud."

7. Jerr

We had a small class size. Less then 200.

4 gay guys and 2 lesbians

8. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

hmm I don't know many people so I don't know anyone who is for sure out. Some people that seem gay though.... but I'm not attracted to them anyways.

9. Jim1454

Toronto is VERY mulitcultural. If I remember right, the Toronto area has the largest east asian population outside of east asia!

10. davo-man

Out of my year level of 160 students, 3 are out and proud (one lesbian and two gays) with a couple of bisexuals. We only have 3 black people, a couple of Middle Eastern appearence and an Indian guy. We got HEAPS of Asian ppl tho; like the majority of my Maths class is Asian, no kidding. We got a few foreign exchange students as well which is really cool; one from China, and one from Brazil. Then theres the Russian/English hybrid (Born and heritage in Russia, raised in England, recently moved to Aus)

So, seriously we dont have that much multiculturalision in my year level, but i dunno why that is, it's not like we are a racist school or anything, in fact the one time someone wrote a derogatory note on the bathroom wall we got a whole school assembly about it and why it was bad etc, which i thought was good, cos i liked how we took such a strong action against racism and intolerance

11. panda

Davo! When I was in Australia in 1967 (Crikey that's bloody ages ago) there was still remnants of the White Australia Policy.No Asians allowed,just some with student visas.Keep Australia white was the reasoning.Times have changed.
    Part of the reason I posted these figures was to notice the change in Canada.When I was in high school (again this was about a thousand years ago) there was one black student and two Asian students at my school.Now the WASP students are a minority.