1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gay information i've found

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ty, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Ty

Ty Guest

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d7/World_homosexuality_laws.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Attitudes_Towards_Homosexuality(Pew2002).png

Stereotypes
    Main article: LGBT stereotypes
    In Western culture, gay men are often stereotyped as effeminate or sometimes as hypermasculinized (see homomasculinity). Other stereotypes are the child molester in a position of moral authority (such as the pedophile priest or boy scout leader), and the muscle-bound prison rapist. Additional stereotypes surrounding gay male identity include hypersexualization, extreme care regarding personal appearance, and knowledge socially inappropriate for males, such as how to sew or decorate. Many of these stereotypes have led to the creation of the metrosexual, a man who fits gay male stereotypes but identifies as heterosexual.
    Lesbians are often stereotyped as being overly masculine or butch, as having been molested or raped at an early age, as being angry, having typically masculine knowledge (such as how to fix plumbing), and as extremely needy or codependent.
    Bisexuals are often stereotyped as promiscuous, manipulative, insincere and/or still confused.

Ive just been looking this up on wikipedia ( i know its not very reliable) and have been finding all this information.... i thought it was interesting so why not share?

comment about it? i shall continue to post other things i find.

2. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate stereotypes. :\

3. Ty

Ty Guest

Me too martini, me too

4. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Meh, i guess i probably fall into one or two of them. :astonished:

The lesbian stereotype sounds horrible though. That's not something people should really assume about you because you choose that particular orientation. :eek:

5. crimsonarcher

ugh. how sad.

6. Ty

Ty Guest

Care to expand on those 3 words?

7. crimsonarcher

i mean it's sad how stereotypes are made for anyone of any standing, like in races.

8. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    yeah stereotypes are crap. I hate them, as very few apply to me... but the moment you out yourself tonnes of people see you as being the pinnacle of everything gay.

Grrrr

9. Ty

Ty Guest

Hehe "pinnacle of everything gay" that made me giggle =]

i wonder if i conform to any sterotypes....

10. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

Hmm...to me i fit some of the gay stereotype. And i like gay guys who...look metro if that makes sense. And yeah stereotypes will always exist because people love to discriminate like "all hispanics mow lawns" or"all black people love fried chicken.kool ai, ad watermelon" but yeah life goes on =].

11. Psych!

Psych! Guest

Yeah... I don't do yard work.

12. CrimsonThunder

You don't choose your orientation.

13. Étoile

And I hate watermelon. :wink:

I've read the Wiki section on gay stereotypes and it was pretty accurate, well for gay men. I do fit some of those stereotypes, we all probably fit 1 or 2, but it doesn't mean we're all the same.