1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Did you know" fact- I would not have survived the early 1900's

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LowestVocal017, May 8, 2006.

1. LowestVocal017

Hi love group. :slight_smile:

I just wanted to bring this up. If I were to live at an earlier decade, in America, UK, or other Western nations, I would not have servived socially or even physically perhaps! I'm three different minorities-

1- Sexual minority (I'm gay-bisexual)
    2- Dexterity minority (I'm left-handed)
    3- Racial Minority (I'm mongoloid, non-caucasian)

It would have been hard enough being an Asian living in let's say the 40's or 50's. I would be giving bad or inferior opportunities in the work place and in school to white people. I would basically be an outcast. Now, what about my homosexuality? Combining that with my oriental skin, they would call me a DEVIANT, DEVILISH outcast!! Now, what about my left-handedness? In society back then, it was believed that "writing is the left hand is a devilish act," only adding to the "devilish" part of people's definition of me.

So if I were to live in the early 1900's, and if people were to know about me in these lights, I'd really be screwed! lol! This is just something interesting that I had found out. :icon_mrgr

2. tired_of_lying411

neato! It just goes to show... no matter how slow, times ARE changing :biggrin:
    As hard as it may be to imagine, I think there will be a day when the majority of un-informed, stupid, and meaningless gay sleurs will be completely gone.

all we can do is hope...

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Times are certainly changing, and in recent years they have changed more quickly.

In the UK before Queen Victoria, gay sex was punishable by hanging. When I was born in 1964, homosexuality was still illegal in the UK. In 1967 it became legal for over 21's in private. When I left school in 1980 the age of consent was still 21 - which seems is a lifetime away when I was 16. In 1994 it was reduced to 18, and in 2000 it was reduced to 16. Then in 2004 the Civil Partnership Act was introduced, which gives us something close to a civil (not church) marriage. This page http://www.gayyouthuk.org.uk/info/the_law.phtml gives more info.

We should be grateful we live in civilised countries though. We wouldn't survive in Iran today. Homosexuality is still punished by death, as the high profile hanging of two gay teenagers last year prove. The story and some distressing photos are here http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2005/07/321936.shtml

4. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Very interesting posts. I too wouldnt have made it in the past...espicially in the 1600's lmfao. I mean im a gay, wiccan in a xian nation. I might as well of put a "burn me alive" sign around my neck. Btw, did you know during The Burning Times or the time of the witch hunt, when a burning of a witch was due. They'd burn a homosexual first to get the crowd excited. Faggots - fire for the main event...look it up. Thats where the durogatory terms "fags" or "faggots" were given to homosexuals. Hmph, i wonder which cateogory they'd place me in....lol.

5. lollipop

I'd be straight........ My parents would problably force me to marry some girl that they chose zzzzzz

People would've forced themselves to be straight too... Or just commit suicide... People like us didn't have an open society back then, they'd just think they are weird and get depressed, etc.

#5 lollipop, May 12, 2006
    Last edited: May 12, 2006
  6. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Are you talking about the 1600's or the 1900's? lol...cuz even in the 1900's, people would have to marry. Here in Newfoundland...in order to make a living 100 years ago...you needed a whole family. 10 kids (or more), a wife and a husband...homosexuals certainly existed, but were forced to cope or die.

7. StudentofSchool

I liked the fact that you used the word mongoloid as that is the accurate term for us. Using the term Asian includes Russians, Indians, Pakistani, etc. Those groups are all caucasoids. Anyway my school is of half mongoloid and has been that way for a while now.