1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Affirmative Action for LGBT Students

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kovax14, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

One of the Universities that is high on my list is Middlebury College in Vermont and they just recently instituted a new admissions policy that effectively includes LGBT students in the same category as children of alumni, recruited athletes, and minority students. They are reluctant to officially call it "affirmative action" and rather say that LGBT students are given a special "attribute" of sorts. Personally, right now as I'm applying this idea makes me really happy because its involves less stress on my part, but what is your opinion on this matter--should we be given this advantage? I think that as a group we have a lot to offer in terms of diversity of ideas, and on a college campus that is essential. One problem that may arise is that people may pose as LGBT students. Certainly one cannot fake their race without eventually getting caught. Someone may, however, claim to be gay and if it comes into question later on they could claim that, well, "I was just a really confused young individual"

Anyway I just thought it was an interesting idea, I believe that Middlebury is the first institution to use such a policy, here is an article that discusses it.

http://media.www.browndailyherald.com/media/storage/paper472/news/2006/10/25/CampusWatch/College.Roundup.Middlebury.To.Aid.Gays.In.Admissions-2400242.shtml

2. Jim1454

I'm not sure what to say... This suggests that LGBT students need an 'edge' of some kind to get into university - and I'm not sure that is the case.

3. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

yeah i know what you mean, i have very mixed feelings about it

4. sdc91

Hmm, well I personally don't like affirmative action. A student should get in for his or her hard work and what he or she can contribute, not for his or her background. If a student is gay and can be a valuable contributor to the campus, that's fine if he or she gets in. But if a student gets in or is given exclusive treatment just because he or she is gay, I don't think that's a very good policy.

By the way, I'm saying this from the viewpoint of a minority and a legacy (both my dad and older brother went to MIT).

5. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    Whilst I can see this as a step in the right direction for the US, where official government support for GBLTs is slim and how little legislation protects people of sexual minorities. I do however, believe that were it to be implemented somewhere such as the UK then it would be completely wrong.

I guess there are places that are more homophobic than others, and in those such actions should be welcomed that will take previously disadvantaged youth and put them on a par with the heterosexuals. I understand that here it gives them an edge, but where before they're seen as lower class this edge will help to even the field.

I guess you do have to start worrying though, if this gets out of control. I for one would want to be picked for a university based on the normal entrance criteria, to know that I'd gotten in based on my own hard work, determination and qualities and not on the fact that I like other boys. To think that this would give me an edge over someone with better grades and qualities than me, and to rob them of their deserved place would make me feel really bad.

6. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm against any sort of affirmative action.

It just reinforces the view that people of the group benefiting from it are not able to get anywhere on their own.

7. SpikySpice

I dont like at all, it makes me feel Im an alient, Im totally different from other people(straight) in a bad way or a minority student, though Im not. How can they put us in the category as minority students? Being gay isnt minority, yet the gay population is less than straight

8. i like it, it just shows that we should be accepted just as much as other kinds of people. besides who knows how long we'd wait to be accepted in any sort of way? i don't know about you all but it's not the safest thing in the US to be LGBT. i'm not going to college because that's not where any of my passions lie but i still see it as an well oppurtinity to take advantage of i guess.

i can honestly see more good come out of this than bad because it just shows how everyone should treat everyone equally and i think this is something that needs to be recognized.

9. Level N Human

But Steven, being treated the same as everyone else doesn't mean being treated better. In a way it's pretty patronizing/condescending.

10. i see it as this, we will be treated better as other people for an amount of time and then they'll eventually do away with it as soon as they see everyone becoming more accepting and realizing how everyone is about these matters.

11. Bryan90

I don't really agree with the affirmative action thing... Wouldn't it contradict our stand in equality -- "equal treatment" -- if we were given "exclusive treatment".

12. urbansamurai

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess I can see this issue from two points of veiw. I'm not really sure which I buy into more.

On the one hand I understand just what kind of trials and tribulations LGBT people go through and I understand that they are constanly confronted with situations that make them seem inferior straight people. Gay marriage laws in the US is just one example of this. I'm ok with the idea of a church denying religious union in the eyes of a god, but it seems totally unjustified that a married couple can get such amazing tax benefits, survivor benefits, etc... without ever having to jump through hoops to get there.

I understand that some people are bigoted against LGBT people and some would even go out of their way to prevent us from succeeding in life. In this way I feel that an "affirmative action" type policy at a school to help LGBT people acheive the kind of equality we deserve and to reduce the amount of influence these biased people might have over us could be a great thing.

On the other hand. I hate the idea that LGBT people should be given, much less feel that they need, a step up in life. Like a previous poster, I feel that academic scholarships and admissions should be based on a student's acheivements, rather than his/her race, gender or sexual orientation.

I suppose that looking at it in this way almost makes me despise the policy altogether because I don't feel that gay people need this handout. There are just as many scholastically capable gay people as there are straight (statistically speaking). Our sexual identity should not, therefore, be used in a context that degrades us a a whole and implies that we need help.

I'll have to think about this more.

13. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

i dont think it has anything to do with helping out students who may not be otherwise academically qualified. a school like middlebury would not admit a student unless they were sure that he or she would be a successful student at their college. middlebury is trying to make their campus a place that is welcoming to the LGBT community. They are really looking for an incoming class that will add to the overall cohesiveness of the student body, which is why they are not only giving special consideration to LGBT students but also those who are involved in gay-straight alliances or other activities that support the LGBT community. In my mind these are all good things. Everybody has their draws. A good french horn player or oboe player will ALWAYS have very special consideration for example. While many applicants are more than qualified to be admitted on a numbers basis, the college is trying to build a balanced community. It is entirely at their discretion how they choose to build a campus community that is most conducive to a positive learning environment. Anyway, I understand all of your positions and see where you guys are coming from, I do however strongly support affirmative action in this case and also in the case of racial minorities etc.

14. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

I think LGBT students are just as capable as getting into college as everyone else, but I don't think some affarmative action that favors us is necessarily a bad thing. There are a lot of LGBT students, though, who have come out to their parents only to have their parents turn around and cut them off. So I guess I'm mixed, and if anything I'm more in favor of it than I am against it.

15. Bryan

Affirmative action is fighting discrimination with discrimination, 'nuff said.

16. biisme

i like that i hav a better chance at getting in!, but overall, i don't like it.

it might just make other people resentful that we have a better chance. they might be just making it worse.

17. pirateninja

It does seem a bit patronisising, I'm afraid. Equal rights does not mean special rights.

18. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry... you can see how behind I am on keeping up with posts. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Anyway, I think affirmative action is a non-ideal solution in a non-ideal world. But until systemically oppressed groups stop being oppressed and having the deck stacked against them, I'm all for it. Sadly these kinds of policies can't really discriminate between say a gay kid that had super-supportive family and friends and a gay kid who faced a ton of shit growing up and still managed to succeed. But something flawed is better than having no recognition of the inequities that exist at all.

As for it being a "special right," equality does not mean sameness. If you take a gay kid growing up in a gay-hostile environment and a straight kid growing up in a regular "straight environment," the straight kid has got it WAAAAY easier, so to say the gay kid and the straight kid have equal chances and equal trials and tribulations is garbage.

Now the special treatment of alumni children is totally bogus! Because going to university is a privilege and so if you have parents who went to university, you have a leg up from that and ceteris paribus, you have a leg up on children of non-alumni... well, at least on children who don't come from as educated a background.

P.S. I had to look up ceteris paribus. It means "all other things being equal."

19. surfrboykai

i'm totally against affirmative action. like jim said, it's saying that people of LGBT community aren't on par with straight peoples and need an edge. it's total BS.

20. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

i dont think thats actually what they are saying by enacting this policy, but thats my opinion