1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ambition at work

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Katt, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Katt

I'm a texan[: No.. we don't ride horses to school.
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ayee guys!!

I came across this idea a few days ago, and I think yall might find it interesting. My school currently doesn't have any LGBT support groups, and though I'm involved in many things in and out of school, I'm planning on talking to the school couslelors and APs about the possibility of starting, and running an on-campus club for LGBT peoples and all that supprt them.

I understand the schools' main objective is, as it should be, education. However, the more I thought about it, the more a club seemed like a good way to improve the learning process. My school is quite tolerant, but I see plenty of people every day walking though the halls, on the bus, even in my classrooms that simply aren't interested in learning, or school. Some of that of course, is due to different intrests, but I have a feeling that if those kids felt accepted and supported, that they could exell in school, and the entire education process.

I am confident in my ability to defend the importance this group holds, to myself, and potentially to the school. It's a very exiting thing, for me anyway. [: Changing the world, a little at a time and all that jazz, haha.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that it is a good idea, just be ready to present it to you school admins. Have some info about what you hope to accomplish in the group. Also be ready to answer questions if they come up. Also be ready for "those people" that oppose your plan, because most likely will be some that do.

Good Luck, i hope that it goes well for you!!

Ps. I did not start my schools LGBT group, but I started other groups on my campus.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You might contact the national GSA office (San Francisco, I think). They have all sorts of resources for starting GSA chapters at local schools, including advice on getting support from school officials.

4. Katt

I'm a texan[: No.. we don't ride horses to school.
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks guys! I'll keep yall updated on my progress. [:

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Awesome, I hope that you can get it started, I'm sure that it will help many people in your school.

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

That is awesome to hear :slight_smile:

The hardest part of starting a GSA in high school is usually finding a teacher that agrees to be an adviser. Without him/her then the club can't be set up. It gets even trickier since some schools have been known to fire the advisers in order to get rid of the GSA. If that happens, and hopefully it doesn't since you say your school is tolerant, reach out to the local ACLU chapter near you. They should be able to help out.

Talk to the teachers that you know and get them to be on board. You need as much support from staff as possible in case things go bad. Hopefully everything goes smoothly, but its better to plan for the worse than to be surprised by it.

Also, in addition to what Chip said, GLSEN also has decent information on how to start a GSA on their website.

Oh, and keep in mind that it’s against the federal law to deny the existence of an GSA unless they cancel every single other group. If they give you problems then totally give them hell for it :slight_smile: