1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to tell my family...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kissmequick93, Oct 25, 2011.

1. kissmequick93

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok so here is probably the most common question on here ...

I need to come out to my family. I have a gf and she is amazing :slight_smile: she is interesting and kind of everything I want, but I havent come out to my parents or any of my family for that matter. Only a selection of friends and a close cousin now that I am into girls aswell but I know now my gf wants people to know about us but im scared. My nan and grandad are very traditional and very judgemental: highly racist and homophobic! They would actually disown me I know it!

Any advice ???

KMQ x

2. Hexagon

First of all, don't let your gf make you come out. Comeing out is a very personal thing, and you don't want to rush it. If you're ready, then her support will be great, but remember its your decision.

Being scared doesn't mean that your not ready; i think a lot of people are. I wrote a letter to my parents. It was easier for me to do it that way because I could get through everything i was trying to say before they could interrupt me, and I could say everything right, and not messed up because I was scared. You can specify in said letter that you want them to keep it to themselves until you've had a chance to discuss it in greater detail.

Other ways include simply telling them (wait for a good time when they're together and relaxed) and getting someone else to tell them for you. First, I'd advise finding out what they think about certain LGBT issues, and whether they have gay friends and stuff, to give yourself a better idea of how they'll react. But remember that even parents who don't seem so LGBT-friendly initially will grow to accept you and might change their opinions pretty quickly if they really love you.

Lastly, before deciding to do anything, consider your safety. Good Luck.

#2 Hexagon, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011