1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What kind of place do you live in?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Robert, Oct 25, 2011.

?

Where do you live?

1. Capital City

14.3%
  2. City

34.7%
  3. Town

35.7%
  4. Village

7.1%
  5. Traveler

1.0%
  6. My house is isolated

7.1%
  1. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live in a big coastal town in England.

To the north there are hills where the farmers live and to the south the richest people live in £500,000 houses near the sea. There is a small town centre where there are many pubs, charity shops and takeaway restaurants. A river runs along side it. The less well off residents of the town tend to live to the East nearer where the industrial estate is (place where things are made). There are a lot of parks.

You get a lot of Conservative types around here - You know, the retired old couple who base their entire ideologies on the distorted memories of their childhood.

Thats about it I think :grin:

#1 Robert, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. cityofangels

cityofangels Guest

I live in a really small town about 30-45 minutes from Portland. The town I live in has lots of forests, mountains, etc. It is a farming community. It is a very rainy place. The town I live in has a ton of churches, one tiny little store, one fire department, one post office, and one small little restaurant :slight_smile: I like to go to Portland quite a bit. It's quite a big city. I plan on moving there very soon. Portland has a lot of vegans, hippies, punks, grunge rockers, etc. It's a very fun place. Portland is a very gay friendly city. Check out Portlandia some time. It is filmed in Portland. It kinda makes fun of the Portland stereotype :slight_smile:

3. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live in West London but if I showed you a google maps satellite image of my house you wouldn't think I live in the capital; I have a giant park behind my house and fields going all along one side of the main road. I have to cross a river that goes past these fields to get to school but at the same time there's a bus stop at the end of my road and I can be at Westfeild (London's biggest indoor shopping center) in 20 mins on the bus and I can be on Oxford Street in about 45 mins on the tube.
    It's quite a nice place to live because it's comparably peaceful but at the same time I live in the capital city so there's lots of stuff going on not far away and everything is really well connected by the tube and buses (which are free for me cos I'm still in full time education).

4. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I live in rural Ohio, in the country. My house is somewhat isolated I guess since there's only one other house for a while--a young English couple lives across the street from me. My house was an old farmhouse that was built in the early 1900's and we've remodeled it. We own most of the land, and we've turned a giant portion of the fields around our house into yard, with a pond on the way. ^_^

The closest town is maybe 10 minutes away and it isn't anything special. The population is maybe 5,000 people, if that. It's mostly white, Christian, and conservative. Despite that though, it's still pretty open-minded and tolerant. I've never experienced any homophobia personally before. It was a fun place to live when I was growing up I guess, but now I just want to move away because there aren't any real opportunities for me here. Next year I'm going to start applying for graduate school, and I really want to go to Seattle University....

5. Hexagon

I live in a small town in the south west of england. Its boring.

6. CodePink

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i live in houston

7. needshelp

well.... i live in new jersey. it's okay but nyc is so much better. :icon_bigg jersey is hell and new york is heaven. you're pretty much restricted to stay in a certain area for the rest of your life if you have no car and you pretty much have to search for a lot of places, things to do, etc since everything is all hidden. it really sucks.

8. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live in a small town about 30 mins outside of Las Vegas.

9. Fiddledeedee

I live in a middling-sized town near Oxford, and have done for as long as I can remember. I guess some might find it boring, but as I am an indoorsey person it is a great place. :slight_smile:

10. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    I live in a rich suburb of New York. We have a decent sized population, but there's still nothing to do. Downtown is actually pretty vibrant, but all the restaurants are bland and the stores are tacky. My favorite thing about living here is how easy it is to leave - there's a train station a short walk from my house, and the city is a little less than an hour away from there.

11. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Small (60k-ish people) rural town in Montana. (Though Montanans call it a city...pfft).

12. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live in the suburbs of a capital city. My neck of the woods is about 20 minutes away from the city by train. My friends are scattered around Melbourne and beyond, so when we see each other it's usually in the city, and my work's based in the city too, so I'm probably there several days a week on average.

13. RedState

I've got 2 locations.
    One is at a country club a few minuets outside of downtown Birmingham...which is the socialite capitol of the Southeast (I don't care what those bitches from Atlanta say)...songs and poems are written about Birmingham...and it is home to the best black-tie cocktail parties known to man-kind (and I don't care what those bitches from Georgetown say either) I've got a townhouse that overlooks the golf course...and my entire neighborhood stays drunk. Metro Birmingham is a little over a million people.

My second pad is in DC. A buddy of mine has a 2 bedroom condo right off Dupont Circle so I rent one of his rooms...it's small but its good for a transient like me...I just recently changed jobs so I will be up there full time after the first of the year so I am in the process of finding my own place in the same area...and everyone in Washington stays drunk as well...but at least I can take the Metro instead of driving.

14. starfish

I live in a suburb of Austin which is the capital of Texas. The metro area is about 1.7 Million people. So it is pretty good sized.

It is not bad, but not exactly my cup of tea. Lots lot live music and you can find stuff to do. The city of Austin is very liberal compared to the rest of the state.

15. Lychee

I've also got 2 places.

1. Suburbs of a capital city (not even a city, a metropolis). 20 minutes from the city by train, 15 minutes drive from a nice beach, 10 mins drive from the largest shopping centre in Australia. We also own an apartment in the inner city, which I will hopefully be living in in a couple of years.

2. Inner city of Australia's capital city (Canberra). Unfortunately, with a population of 300,000, it feels tiny. Also, Canberra is known as 'the bush capital' so even though my suburb is actually called 'City', it still feels middle of nowhere. There are often kangaroos, ducks and rabbits within 2 mins walk of my apartment.

16. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since I'm in college, I live in the city. In a city frequently called the Murder Capital of the US. :grin:

When I go home for the weekend about once per month, I go back to a quiet, super small farm town with a population of maybe 5,000.

17. TraceElement

I live in town of 100,000 in upstate NY... a 10-15 minute drive from Lake Ontario.

18. Danny19

I live in L.A.

19. maverick

I live in a metropolitan city with a population of roughly 417,600 people (if you include the outlying hamlets that surround the city proper).

It's okay, but I'd prefer to live somewhere else.

20. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I live on a farm near a town with about 6000 people. I hardly ever see my neighbors even though I can walk to their house down the gravel road. We're not far from the neighbors but we tend to stay fairly isolated. You have to drive to get to the town.

---------- Post added 26th Oct 2011 at 04:07 AM ----------

The people in the town are mainly white, Christian, conservatives. People are nice for the most part but I'm not openly gay so I'm not sure what they would think if I wore a rainbow flag into the local grocery store or held a girl's hand. Younger people are more open minded there.