1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US president 08

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ty, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Ty

Ty Guest

I was discussing this with my dad and he thinks Hillary is proberly gonna win for 08.
    Now, since were british, we can't really make a proper prediction for the your new pressie.
    Soo...... Who's most likely to win? Also state why you think so and what their policies are.

Thanks ^_^

2. Ty

Ty Guest

Ah yeah, also, Bush can't reapply for the position can he? What are the rules about that.

3. xxAngelOnFirexx

no he is in his second term. US presidents can only run twice.

4. Hollywood

If Bush tried to run again (and I wouldnt put it past him. He's an idiot and would probably try to force through some constitutional amendment allowing him to run again) he would get laughed out of the country. In my opinion, and I'm huge into politics, he is one of the worst presidents in our country's history.

I'm voting for Hillary. I think that most people are focused on the war in Iraq in which many of the candiates don't have a varrying position. One thing that sets her apart from the rest of the candidates is probably the number one issue after foreign relations/terrorism: healthcare. Hillary has a universal healthcare system that will revolutionize our society and hopefully try and pull the lower class up onto its feet in regards to medical needs.

However, there is no way to call the race this early. The two parties will choose their candidates soon enough, and even though Hillary is the leading democratic candidate, Kerry wasn't leading at this point in the last race and he got the democratic nomination.

5. 24601

As Hollywood said, there's no way to really tell right now. It's way too early. On the Republican side, where Giuliani once had a pretty clear lead, it's now very close in all the states that have early primaries (for those who are not in the US, primaries decide which candidate from each party will actually run for president, right now that's what the focus is - so at the moment, the race is for party nomination. After one person from each party wins the nomination, then the actual presidential election will happen). Romney is strong in all the early primary states, and Huckabee's gaining fast (and even winning in Iowa, the first primary state). However, I'm not sure a Republican will be able to win the actual presidential election this year (I hope not, anyway).

For the Democrats, Obama and Clinton are very close in most areas, with Hillary having a slight advantage. Edwards is a pretty distinct 3rd in most places, with the other candidates (Richardson, Dodd, Biden, Kucinich) generally polling in the single digits. At this point last year, as Hollywood said, Kerry was in the single digits, too.

So, right now, everything's just guess work. We can't even say for sure who will win each party's nomination, let alone guess about the presidency. If I had to pick a party to win, I would choose the Democrats, since George Bush's administration has hurt the Republican Party's chances in many areas and especially in important swing states (states whose votes can go either way - some states, like Massachusetts and most of New England, almost always vote Democratic, while others like South Carolina and most of the south, almost always vote Republican, but there are a few states, like Pennsylvania for instance, whose votes are very borderline, and very important to win, due to the electoral college system and the fact that most of the swing states have large populations), but it will largely depend on the candidates in the final race. Who do I hope wins? I like the more moderate Democrats a lot, like Richardson, Dodd, and Biden, but like I said, right now their poll numbers are pretty low. I would never choose a Republican, but if I had to pick one from that party, it would definitely be Ron Paul. Of the Democratic "front runners," I would probably choose Clinton, because I really can't stand Edwards, and am not a huge fan of Obama. I'm not a huge fan of any of the three, though.

But yeah, really hard to tell now.

6. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Conder lisa rice is gonna win ^_^

7. nanoman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just a question: In addition to the social programs Bush has already promised, how is she going to fund her own program after Bush has run America into a HUGE deficit?

I'm more of an Al Gore supporter; he's the most active in the issue I'm most worried about: climate change, which goes hand in hand with energy security. I just hope he runs.

8. Hollywood

Haha, nice Ethan.

Nicely said 24601. I actually like Obama a lot too, he's just too inexpirenced for me, having only two years in the Senate. I wish he would have waited four more years to run. The radically confederate South would have hopefully gotten over their refusal to have only white men take the Presidency by then if Clinton had won before, assuming Clinton wins.

9. Hollywood

nanoman, I acutally would support Al Gore too if he ran, but its way too late in the game for him to announce his intent to run. The Iwoa cacuses are only like a month away.

From Hillary's website:
    "Employers will help financing the system; large employers will be expected to provide health insurance or contribute to the cost of coverage: small businesses will receive a tax credit to continue or begin to offer coverage."

Her plan reduces wasteful health spending. You can read a summary of it on her website.

10. KDUk3Ang3l

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am actually very supportive Hilary Clinton. With Bill as an adviser, I am hopeful that if she does win the election, she can steer the U.S to a more ideal direction. If only I could vote then...Being born the 28th of November is just a bit unfair. :lol:

11. Urman

Urman Guest

i want Hillary to when she's the only person with common sence

12. Level N Human

Hilary..

Oh no! Iran's got a hold of nuclear technology! We can't let them advance like this! Only WE can have nuclear technology to maintain dominance in the world because it's OURS. Also, everyone knows nuclear plants only manufacture weapons of mass destruction, right like we learned from Iraq?!?! They were there right?! The majority of Americans believe it to be, so let's just continue waging war for whatever reason we want.

Also, it's OKAY for Hilary to take bribes. Oh wait, she never took any, she won the case. Nevermind the fact that the judge was appointed by the Clintons.

Hilary Clinton 2008: Huge political machine and name recognition! ^^

Ron Paul doesn't have any common sense. he's a republican so let's not even look into his policies at all because it's jsutifiable like that. Also he's CRAZY, wanting to follow the constitution all the fucking time as if it were the constitution or something.

13. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Here is a fun little quiz you can take to see which candidate you are most aligned with. You can even paste it on your MySpace if you want.

http://www.wqad.com/Global/link.asp?L=259460

It said I was most aligned with Dennis Kucinich. I have been going back forth between Obama and Hillary and still haven't decided! I'm thinking it will probably be Hillary.

14. ampthejazz

I really hope Obama wins the Democratic nomination.

15. 24601

16. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Kucinich is by far the candidate i most align to.
    Although i don't think the American people are smart enough to vote for somebody so brilliant. So any democrat besides Edwards, Giuliani and any candidate who even utters the world "nuclear energy" in a positive light.

Even tho i'm not American, i follow both Canadian and American politics.

17. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    I think I will vote for Obama in the primaries, because I agree with him on most issues and I think that if he wins the nomination, he could much more easily win the national election than Hillary or maybe even Edwards. It seems to me that now that the African America Civil Rights movement has ceased to be a political issue, the Democrats can look forward to losing their religious African American base, especially among wealthier African Americans, to the socially conservative Republicans. Therefore we need Obama to rile up this base and keep it going strong for the Democrats until it becomes politically unacceptable to be against gay rights.

I would also love to see Kucinich or Richardson as the VP candidate, because they both seem incredibly smart and it would be refreshing to have a dark horse candidate on the ticket, since America's already become tired of the election, especially the top candidates.

Overall, this election should be quite interesting. It seems like Virginia (my home state!) might become a swing state, and even go blue for the first time since the 60s. Also, if Hillary or Obama get the nomination (which one of them probably will), we will get to see an election that is not between two white males for the first time in American history. Oh, and I'll be able to vote this election, which will make things FASCINATING. Stay tuned.

18. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Hilary '08!

19. Hmm it's a tossup really. I don't know who is going to get the nomination for the Republicans hopefully Giuliani. I'll most likely vote for him if he gets the nomination. Although if someone I really can't see being a good president gets the nomination, I'll just do a write in.

20. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Seems most here are thinking Democrat, but I am not so sure. The American people see the lack of anything being done by a Democrat congress and had a Democrat controlled government back in '90 and took it out in 94. Feds work better with the houses or the branches split.

As for Hillary I am not so sure. Her proposal for a health care system was horrendous before and had such levels, it would be impossible to have any accountability. Also right now it is early and I think over time her negatives will begin to show or be brought forward. I don't think she will get the nomination.

GOP, again early, Giuliani and Romney would be good but who knows. I am not very impressed with anyone yet, so perhaps we can put a choice of "none of the above" and if it wins, we do it over again.

As for the question of Bush running again, haha, that was brought up at the end of Clinton's second term too, but the US Constitution prevents anyone from serving more than two terms as the US President.

#20 JayHew, Dec 10, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2007