1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bachelor / Studio Apartments

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rocking23, Oct 27, 2011.

1. rocking23

Hey!
    I'm just on the search for some opinions here:

Right now I live in residence at my university, but next year I'm 90% going to have to get my own place. I just don't feel into the whole roommate thing. I know we could have our own rooms and all, but I'm more of a person who likes to be by themselves, but I'm not a loner (if that makes sense).

My parents would pay my rent, but it wouldn't be able to be a whole lot more than the residence rent.

Because of that, I'm looking at Bachelor Apartments!

What are your opinions/experiences/rants on Bachelor Apartments??

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably quite good for having a friend over :wink: No I'm just joking. Personally I think it's your own space, the only downside is you can get lonely pretty easy.

3. Blkrsn

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've lived alone for 2 years now with my cats... it gets lonely, but so much better then living with a roommate. Good luck finding a place!

4. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pretty happy with my own setup at the moment. It's pretty tiny (as my mom never fails to point out when she's over), but I have a small living room with a desk and a comfortable chair, a bedroom that is basically just big enough to fit a bed in, and a kitchen with just enough room to prepare anything I have the skill to cook up.

Main benefit for me is the total privacy. If I want to read a book or watch a movie or hang around on the internet undisturbed, I can. As I need two or three hours of total privacy a day just to get my thoughts in order, I couldn't live without that. (actually, even if I lived with a boyfriend I would probably insist on having a spacious enough place to not be forced to sit on each other's lap)

Also, it does make it easier to follow your own schedule. No waiting for showers/getting angry about the mess/deciding who cooks.
    Though that's also one of the drawbacks: no shared responsability. Everything falls squarely on your shoulders. It's best to adapt a good schedule, or you end up eating instant noodles most evenings, while a whole week's worth of dishes piles up in your sink behind you and you have to do them at 11PM on friday :wink:

Another drawback: you do want to make sure you have a decent landlord. If you're rooming together and something is amiss, you can present a unified front. If you live alone and don't have a lot of contact with the guys/girls in other appartments, it's much harder to get anything done if you have a bad landlord.

Social life does need a bit more proactiveness. No whacky spur-of-the-moment thing is going to happen with a roommate barging in and dragging you along (or you dragging them along). If I didn't actively arrange things with friends, I think I would sit in my room all day, every day (well, excepting work). I actually did do that at first. So there is a balance you want to strike between enjoying your privacy and not drifting away from friends.

All in all, though, for me the benefits massively outweigh the drawbacks. After a year of it, I got most of the schedule for daily chores right, and it's rare for me not to have any social activities in a week, even if I have to actively make those happen.

5. rocking23

Wow! Thanks so much for the posts guys, definitely gives me some things to think about. But I'm definitely still leaning to having my own private place!

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hehe sorry...2 cats, crazy cat lady? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'm just teasing of course Blkrsn :slight_smile: I just kinda had to. But yeah I may live alone some day...dunno though. Depends where my relationship goes lol