1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just don't get it.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by starfish, Oct 28, 2011.

1. starfish

So Herman Cain ran this ad.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6VnTqpTqvQ[/YOUTUBE]

I just don't get why they had the guy smoking at the end. What value did that add. That is and Herman Cain's creepy smile at the end.

I just don't get it. Then again I'm talking about it, maybe that was the point.

2. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I think that it's just totally ridiculous. I like to imagine it's the sort of thing a film student would make as part of a school project during their first semester. It feels very hokey and cliched to me. The guy smoking at the end is just beyond cheesy too in my opinion, but anti-smoking is the popular position to take so this definitely sets Cain apart from the others. I read somewhere that Cain used to be a tobacco lobbyist but I don't know if that's actually true or not.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think that anybody does...

4. Eric

I didn't think you could show people smoking in national ads.

5. starfish

The other thing I don't understand. Why I put an "is" in that sentence.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is a very creepy smile in the end..

7. Ridiculous

Whoa really, was that actually his ad?

I'm in New Zealand so obviously I haven't seen it, but I did watch the Late Show and David Letterman has been parodying it... I just assumed it was one of his typical parodies where it's mostly fictional.

8. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Jon Huntsman's daughters are my new favorites. They did a spoof of the ad. I would actually consider voting for him too. It's sad that he isn't getting any support from the GoP...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOYVB2hc0HA[/YOUTUBE]

9. RedState

I like Herman Cain...I think he's genuine and I think he has a remarkable personal story of overcoming the challenges of the segregated south and becoming a business success.

I'm not supporting him, but how I have been tempted to put a "Honkies for Herman" bumper sticker on my SUV

No one in the political world really understands it...I think it is one of the more bizarre ads I have seen. This is why all major campaigns have media consultants and advisors...its obvious that Herman Cain has neither...as a matter of fact he has very little state by state organization at all.

But, I can understand somewhat why they did it. Think about this: one is the main purpose of an ad? It is to get people talking about a certain product. From that standpoint, this has succeeded beautifully because it has been all over the place..people have been discussing this non-stop. We can argue if it is a positive or negative impact all day long (I personally think it's strange).

For campaigns like Cain's, that do not have the multi-million campaign accounts that a Mitt Romney or Rick Perry have, they have to revert to this gorilla type you tube ad war to compete. Cain has gotten more name ID with this one clip (that probably cost only a few thousand to produce) than he would have gotten with a $10 million multi-state ad buy. Once again, weather that is positive or negative is up for discussion.

But, I think it shows the amateurish nature of the entire Cain campaign up to this point. He needs to get serious from an organizational standpoint and start to seriously study domestic/foreign policy issues if he hopes to be anything other than a one hit wonder flash in the pan.

#9 RedState, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011