1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pop music is gay

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kylegf2011, Oct 29, 2011.

1. kylegf2011

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My favorite artis in the world is Britney Spears, and I do not hide this at all, all of my friends know it. I also like Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber. I love pop music. But my firneds say its gay. They dont think Im really gay (well actually Ive heard of some who do think Im gay) but the question is, why do you think liking this music is "gay" I mean when I say I like Britney Spears, my friends are like "youre so gay dude" but Britney is a woman!! Im not telling them I like Adam Lambert! (who also has cool songs :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) But why do you think this is?

2. needshelp

pop music is terrible. I HATE POP MUSIC.

3. Rooni321

Its like that stereotype of gay men liking Cher and Celine Dion and Liza Minnelli.
    Those overly fabulous pop stars with great voices have some sort of connection with gays in society for whatever reason haha

---------- Post added 29th Oct 2011 at 10:06 PM ----------

Its like that stereotype of gay men liking Cher and Celine Dion and Liza Minnelli.
    Those overly fabulous pop stars with great voices have some sort of connection with gays in society for whatever reason haha

4. Kidd

Kidd Guest

It's because the LGBT community has been historically associated with feminism and exaggerated sexuality, and pop music fits into both of those categories quite nicely.

5. mgalways

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yeah its true like that Live ahh song "Top of the world" by the Cataracs FT. Dev XD
    but i also think House or Techno music is very gay for some reason!

6. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I completely agree with this.. and so I choose not to conform with Society :lol:

However, this doesn't mean I go about blasting Lady Gaga all over the place. There are still some pop songs I don't like (coughpartyrockanthemcough) because they're overplayed... so much. So that could be another reason why most people don't like pop music.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, it plays into stereotypes, and some will disagree with me, but... I think you'd be hard pressed to find a (genuinely) straight guy who is into Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, and Britney Spears. I've actually found music preference to be a pretty accurate means of identifying guys who are closeted, but a lot of the closeted guys don't seem to realize that, and various other things that give them away. That's why, often times, guys are surprised when they come out and everyone's like "Oh, geez, we've known for years." People are frequently a lot less good at hiding it than they think. :slight_smile:

8. djt820

Yup, it's just a stereotype of gay men that tends to be very true many of the times (Unfortunately to me). You don't find many gay men who enjoy Art Blakey, or Robert Fripp.

9. sanguine

because its true LOL, like all stereotypes its not always clean cut, i for one hate justin bieber im offended they tried to load him off as gay or a lesbian!! hes all yours straight an all!!!!

but that's just me, i hate all songs that are relationship based, prime examples and lame artists like bruno mars and adele, i hate them sooooo much, there more to life than having a boyfriend or girlfriend, build a bridge and get over it.

10. Harve

[YOUTUBE]fhseD2tRLUY[/YOUTUBE]

Pop music can be mindblowingly gay. It really is a surprisingly accurate indicator!

11. Artemicion

Hahahahahahahahaha....

12. caughtbywitness

Pop music only for me :3

13. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's a stereotype but I also think there are straight guys that like pop music. They just feel like they have to hide their musical taste. A straight friend of mine said he likes Katy Perry. Stereotypes aren't always true because everyone is different.

I love Disney songs, musicals, pop music, and stuff that stereotypically gay guys like but I'm a gay girl. I'm supposed to like acoustic stuff or something (I have no idea really lol) but I like pop. And I love Adam Lambert too.

Good music is good music regardless of sexuality.

14. J Snow

I honestly didn't start listening to pop music until I started coming out. My bf started listening to it around me, and I hear it in gay bars and stuff so it just grew on me. Still, a lot of my straight guy friends like pop music and even Lady Gaga especially.

15. MusicMan12

I wish people didn't think pop music was gay. I'm always embarrased to say that I like Lady GaGa...so I usually don't admit it...

16. NoName114

NoName114 Guest

I don't actually listen to much pop music, but I listen the heck out of what I listen to

17. GuardianKitten

let's not bring jpop into this :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Popular music certainly seems to have gotten more...male-homosexual these days. :slight_smile: I've lived during periods when pop music has been rather limp (early 80s), and rather dance-oriented (late 70s and late 80s), but the current crop of current "pop" is nearly identical to what you might hear in a standard gay club. Even when disco ruled the pop charts, it tended to be a more watered-down version that was somewhat different than what you'd hear in the gay clubs.

Mind you, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. It means the music in gay clubs has reached mass acceptance. But then again, I can't say as I like it all that much, either. I'll stick with my indie rock. :slight_smile:

Lex

19. Mad Man L

Not a fan of pop music for the most part. Its just all really, well, trashy.

20. browneyedboy

haha, i have to admit to falling into the stereotype, however it's only really Lady Gaga that im obsessed with, i dont mind britney but cant stand katy perry. Then there's always queen, elton, john, adam lambert etc which i guess is all pretty "gay". but i dont think having it as part of the gay stereotype is necessarily a bad thing, it's just part of it, it's one of many unifying aspects i guess.

Lady Gaga was meant to tour with Kanye west a few years back and this is what she said to him: "my music is gay. My show is gay. And I love that it's gay. And I love my gay fans and they're all going to be coming to our show. And it's going to remain gay"

So i guess pop is "gay" but it's also seems to take up most of the Top 40 week after week, so i think alot more people enjoy it too.