1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Before you give to the Salvation Army

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by beckyg, Dec 9, 2007.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You should read this:

The Salvation Army holds a positive view of human sexuality. Where a man and a woman love each other, sexual intimacy is understood as a gift of God to be enjoyed within the context of heterosexual marriage. However, in the Christian view, sexual intimacy is not essential to a healthy, full, and rich life. Apart from marriage, the scriptural standard is celibacy.

Sexual attraction to the same sex is a matter of profound complexity. Whatever the causes may be, attempts to deny its reality or to marginalize those of a same-sex orientation have not been helpful. The Salvation Army does not consider same-sex orientation blameworthy in itself. Homosexual conduct, like heterosexual conduct, requires individual responsibility and must be guided by the light of scriptural teaching.

Scripture forbids sexual intimacy between members of the same sex. The Salvation Army believes, therefore, that Christians whose sexual orientation is primarily or exclusively same-sex are called upon to embrace celibacy as a way of life. There is no scriptural support for same-sex unions as equal to, or as an alternative to, heterosexual marriage.

Likewise, there is no scriptural support for demeaning or mistreating anyone for reason of his or her sexual orientation. The Salvation Army opposes any such abuse.

In keeping with these convictions, the services of The Salvation Army are available to all who qualify, without regard to sexual orientation. The fellowship of Salvation Army worship is open to all sincere seekers of faith in Christ, and membership in The Salvation Army church body is open to all who confess Christ as Savior and who accept and abide by The Salvation Army's doctrine and discipline.

Scriptures: Genesis 2:23-24; Leviticus 18:22; Mark 2:16-17; Romans 1:26-27; Romans 5:8; I Corinthians 6:9-11; I Corinthians 13; Galatians 6:1-2; I Thessalonians 4:1-8; I Thessalonians 5:14-15; I Timothy 1:15-16; Jude 7

Recommended for approval by the Commissioners' Conference
    Approved by International Headquarters

PFLAGers recomend putting fake dollars in the bucket that say when the Salvation Army stops discriminating against GLBT people, it will be replaced with real money.

2. Ty

Ty Guest

Oh dear

3. Hollywood

Want to sell your daughter as a slave? God gives to you go-ahead:
    Exodus 21:7 “When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she shall not go out as the male slaves do. If she does not please her master, who designated her for himself, then he shall let her be redeemed; he shall have no right to sell her to a foreign people, since he has dealt unfairly with her. If he designates her for his son, he shall deal with her as with a daughter.”

Know someone who practices wicca? As long as they're male, its fine. Femal? Kill them:
    Exodus 22:18 “You shall not permit a female sorcerer to live.”

In the lower class and need to work constantly to provide for your family? Better let them go hungry once a week or you'll face the wrath of God:
    Exodus 31:15 “Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord; whoever does any work on the sabbath day shall be put to death.”

I could go on and on. I'm sick of the conservative right wing taking the Bible literally when they want to apply it to things such as homosexuality but other matters are simply not to be taken in that way.

Faith and politics should be mutually exclusive and you shouldn't interpret your religious text on varying levels of literality.

4. InaRut

You know what though? Just because a not for profit organization is built around strong christian beliefs doesn't mean they aren't doing something great. I really couldn't care less if the salvation army "opposes" homsexuality....they are still helping those who need help. And in the end is that not more important?

If we keep pushing ourselves onto people likes this, in the end are we not doing what the christians did 100's of years ago.

And besides, would you expect a church based program to say otherwise?

I don't know, if a major million dollar corporation was after gay/lesbian peoples then I would be mad...but I just can't see myself to throw fake dollers into the salvation army bucket....it just isn't right.

5. i am still gonna give to the salvation army, because they are doing something good and i could honestly care less what their beliefs are. i'm not gonna be the one to change it; i could help in the matter but who knows what they honestly think. we won't be the final decision on what people think of us; they'll choose to think whatever they wish. a good cause is a good cause, now if they were to discriminate against giving to those of 'different' sexuality that's wrong.

6. InaRut

I tottaly agree with you Steven

7. Hollywood

well said both of you.

8. Psychedelic Bookmarks

i agree - they will provide services to all regardless of orientation. i mean, it would be better if they supprted lgbts, but they are still pretty good, imho. they do loads of good work in the uk for the homeless, alcoholics, drug addicts, depressed, old people, you name it. and at least they're not hateful "god hates fags" types. they're tolerant even if they disapprove. so.. i would still donate to them...

9. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah, I understand, I'd just rather give to organizations who DO support the GLBT community. Wouldn't it be great if WE could have an organization as huge as the Salvation Army which could respect and value all our differences and help the community at the same time?

10. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

When they are providing food and shelter to the homeless at Christmas or other times, do they question the person's sexuality before offering support or do they withdraw support if they find out that the person is gay? If not then I have no problems supporting that aspect of their work.

The piece that Becky posted suggests to me that they are trying to satisfy the Church while being as vague and non-committal as possible.

11. InaRut

That makes sense.
    Lol I think the EC community is the nicest gay community ever lol

We should be out there rioting >_<
    Not really...just joking

12. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    It seems the discrimination is not about who they are helping but who they are hiring. It was exposed by the Washington Post a couple years ago that The Salvation Army worked out a deal with President Bush. They would be allowed to discriminate against non-Christians and GLBT folks if they supported Bush's Faith-based initiative.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentId=A37723-2001Jul9

13. pirateninja

They may not hire LGBTs but as long as they are willing to help LGBTs that are in need then I am not against them. Of course it would be a hell of a lot better if they would hire gays and lesbians but that's life unfortunately. I can see why people would be mad, it is discrimination, but it's only the hiring part, it won't stop me donating to them.

14. I agree

15. Jim1454

As I read the original posting, I thought the same as many here... it was pretty tame for something from a religious organization. I don't agree with discriminating based on orientation when hiring - but I wouldn't want to work there anyway. But they do some very worthwhile and selfless work in the community - which I think is great.

Thanks for raising this though Becky. These large organizations, regardless of what they do, need to be held accountable.

16. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    We went through all this when we were fighting for the anti-discrimination laws here in Oregon. Should religious organizations be exempt from having to hire GLBT people? The defining factor was "No, if they get STATE or FEDERAL money" and I totally agree with that. If they are working on their own money raised within their church, that is different. We don't have a federal anti-discrimination law....yet but when we do, I think the Salvation Army (because they DO receive federal money) should have to abide by those discrimination laws. Until then, I think its good to raise awareness about the situation. Thanks Jim for your support.

17. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

If the Salvation Army is taking money from the federal/state governments, they need to be hiring GLBT people. We all pay into the tax system, and that means if you take government money you should not discriminate. As for donating to them though, as long as they'll still give to GLBT people I'll continue to donate to them.

18. gayinva

@beckyg
    is there link on their website for that?

19. waitingsucks

Yeah I have collected for them before and I believe the work they do is good. I think as long as they don't discriminate on who they help then it should be fine. I know what becky is trying to say. It should be more accepting on the GLBT community but I think it has to at least try a bit to also appeal to the Christian community or so called church.

20. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest