1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How important is family to you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by birdsflysouth, Nov 1, 2011.

1. birdsflysouth

I am not trying to ask for advice or anything, I am merely curious. How important is family in your life. What does family mean to you?

For me, my extended family is a big part of who I am, and they kind of define family for me. We all interact on a level that isn't friend or obligation.

2. needshelp

well, i love my family but at the same time, i'm beginning to realize that being who i am as a person even before i chose to acknowledge that i'm gay always comes brings up a conflict. i'm the weirdo in my family.

3. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

Family: Parents and siblings. They mean a lot to me.

Relatives: Cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents etc. don't mean a thing to me. I know them but I really wish I didn't. They're all disgusting pieces of trash.

4. Kidd

Kidd Guest

It's complicated. A few years ago I would have said it's very important to me but now not so much. I sort of grew up and realized how dysfunctional we are.

My parents aren't distant, per se, they just don't really care all that much about what my siblings and I do or what happens to us. We've devolved into roommates more than anything else. My younger brother is my biggest rival and arch-enemy and most of the time we're openly hostile to one another. In other words, if my brother died tomorrow the only reason I would go to his funeral would be to spit on the casket as I walked by.

On the other hand, my older sister is one of my best friends and she's definitely my champion. I would be so lost without her. I'm really close with some of my cousins and their children, and I'm close with my maternal grandparents. That's about it. I couldn't care any less about the rest of them.

#4 Kidd, Nov 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2011
  5. Lautaro Adrian

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is how I feel. Except I do get along well with uncles and cousins, I think it's more along the lines of not caring for them too much.

6. Shmoe

Family, They birthed me, Sure but did they treat me right? I'm not going to love them just because they're my parents.

But in my case, My paw has done good by me, brother is swell, Sister could be worse. Every one else walks their fine lines and at any moment could be dropped from my life

7. query

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    parents and siblings are very important. uncles, grandparents,etc. not so much as i don't know many of them or at least not very well.

8. Rooni321

My close family and about a half of my family means everything to me.
    Other than that half, meh.

---------- Post added 1st Nov 2011 at 09:49 PM ----------

My close family and about a half of my family means everything to me.
    Other than that half, meh.

9. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My family is the most important thing in the world to me. I have two younger brothers and a sister whom I love with all my heart. My mom is pretty awesome, too. I don't have a great relationship with my dad, but he can be pretty cool at times.

I had a little brother die when I was 8 years old. I really wish I could have seen him grow up. Every year his death hits me pretty hard.

10. Gallatin

Both my immediate family and my extended family are quite important to me. Not that I like all of them, because I don't - there are some that I would prefer never to associate with again. However, I do get along well with most of them. There's just a few bad apples.

11. 11 11 11

Well....in terms of my own family - which currently stands at my mother, father and sister - I don't really feel all that much attachment to them... Call it sad if you will, but beyond just general niceties around the home, I'm not really interested in their problems or welfare.

It sounds cold and callous, especially to me - my mum and dad have been ideal role-models, and outstanding parents. We havn't been spoiled, or abused, or spared any opportunity to develop. But despite this - they lost me somewhere along the line, and I've been living in my own world for most of my life now. Sure I'd rescue them from a fire, but....I just don't have the connection with them I used to. I don't really...Love them....I guess it's because I feel they really don't understand me. The gender questioning stuff probably dosn't help.

So there you go. I'm one of those kids. Gracious for all the years of hard effort that my parents have invested - but too much of a closeted individual to form a lasting relationship with them :frowning2:

Edit: - as for my extended family...I don't really see them...I probably feel better connection to them than my immediate family though...

12. DarkClarity

My mother and I were really close when I was younger but now I don't feel the bond anymore. There are a select few family member that I care about but the rest (excluding the members I haven't met yet) I don't really care about and then it comes to some of them I wouldn't mind if they dropped dead. Overall family to me are at the end of the day, just people. So what if we share DNA.

13. Branconegro

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, they meant I lot to me, but today not that much. With time, my father lost contact with me(despite living in the same house till today). Actually, seen from today, I think he never was really close to me. There are days that I don´t speak a single word with him. When I see my friends and their relationship with their fathers it really makes me jealous, like my friend´s dad. Everytime he kiss my friend(22 years old) in the head and I realise I don´t feel a kiss like that since I was 8,9 years old...

And I,for being in the closet, lost a lot of the closeness with my family. But the relationship that I have with them is still "normal", or even 'good', when talking about my sister and mom...

I mean, they are my family,we have a history etc, but it´s really hard for me to stay close of them knowing that sooner or later they will mock gay people. So, many times I prefer stay alone than hang out with them...

That is something that really bothers me, because I know that one day they wont be here anymore and I might regret for this "cold wall" between us...

#13 Branconegro, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  14. Rinto

Rinto Guest

My family means everything to me. I'd willingly sacrifice anything I have for my parents, my sisters and my other relatives if ever they are in need (excluding those at my father's side). I'll do whatever it takes just to keep them happy. Without them, I wouldn't even be right here and I could have died 5 years ago.

Because of them, I'm trying to think up of a course that would easily get me a job so that I can get my sisters to college too without relying on my father's salary anymore. That may be just so over devoted but that's just who I am. There's nothing else in my life that I could be so busy about that I'd make them less of a priority. I'll even sacrifice my own self-satisfaction, if I need to or if I think it's rationally safe.

I guess being in the closet, with no to little chance of having fulfillment regarding my lovelife, would help me reach my goals. The only thing is that it'd be so painful.....

15. Mimerio

My family mean a lot, and I mean a lot to me because they have helped me so so much in the past with whatever it may be, bullying, schoolwork etc. My nan used to cook me dinners when I was younger while my mother was at work, my parents are my greatest inspiration (although the homophobic side to my father isn't)

16. SA Boy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My parents and sibling i feel are very important.
    My one remaining grandparent i also feel is important along with one of my aunts.
    The rest cousins etc. i hardly see them they aren't much to me. :slight_smile: