1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite thing about the 90's

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dreamcatcher, Nov 2, 2011.

1. dreamcatcher

Just now I was doing some homework and listening to music when I suddenly heard the song linger by the cranberries. This unfortunately led me to waste an entire hour of looking up old songs from the nineties instead of paying attention to my homework. So now this brings me to my next question, What was your favorite thing about the nineties? I loved so many things but I'd say my top two things would be the amazing Disney movies and the cheesy pop bands (You know like N'sync and school girl Brittney). Also I have to say Buffy was and still is one of my favorite shows! Ok, so I gave more than one but that's because I just loved the nineties!

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Space Ghost: What was your favorite thing about the 70s?
    Danny Bonnaduce: The beginning of the 80s.

My favorite thing about the 90s was actually the demise of what you might call "the single American culture". Up until then, it seemed America pretty much shared one single popular culture. Nearly everybody watched the same shows, and even if you weren't a big music fan, you were probably aware of the big hits by the biggest acts at the time. Starting in the 90s, that fragmented more and more. Popular music was no longer one "thing". For instance, if you looked at the top 20 songs at any point in 1990, you could probably find several radio stations that played all twenty. By 1999, chances are you couldn't. Instead, we had pop stations and dance stations and hip-hop stations. People started abandoning the big three (or four) networks for cable TV. People seemed more willing to seek out other options instead of sticking with the simple (and rather safe) things offered up by the most mainstream media outlets, and I think that's a great thing. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. Bolin

My favorite thing about the nineties was worrying about what I was going to eat for lunch at school rather than worrying about paying bills. So, in other words, childhood was the greatest thing about the nineties. :slight_smile:

4. Kidd

Kidd Guest

My favorite thing about the 90's was and still is Dawson's Creek, and maybe the fashion too. It's so painfully hideous and grunge that you have to admire it. Heroin chic has got to be one of best and most controversial ideas ever, period.

#4 Kidd, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2011
  5. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  6. ilovedogs9

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That is exactly my childhood right there. I was born in 1995, so I have the late 90's to remember. My family has always been into the stuff from the 90's, especially when we moved into the 2000's, so I know everything from the whole decade as my childhood, as if I hadn't been born in just the middle of it. Instead of constantly buying the newest technology and listening to the new hip-hop on the radio every day, my siblings and I spent our time with old Game Boys and building forts in the backyard. I'm so glad for that, too. I feel like I'm totally different from all of the teenagers I know, who either didn't remember or didn't care for the 90's. :lol:

7. Danny19

same freaken here!!! haha. i love all those things on there.. aaah the 90s good times. and also the nintendo 64, tamagochi.. theres too many things to even name!

8. Yuya

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  9. BenKent

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The music was so much better, just looking at the TLC and No Doubt made me download so much hahah. and nickelodeon.... hey arnold... angry beavs.... it was all so good.

and ALL THAT!

10. Mad Man L

I was born in 1995, but my '90s' go as far as 2002/3 or so, for the reason that TV cartoons really didn't exactly start significantly changing until that point, nor did my life. But I loved the 90s. No homework, simplicity, seeing my cousins and playing games over at my Grandma's, the beach house, 10 hour sleeps, awesome cartoons. It just seems so great. The worst thing about it was the fact I had few friends at school towards the end of that period.

In fact, I liked my life up until January 2008.

11. sanguine

nostalgia

*sigh*

12. lostinthought9

Oh wow, I can't pick ONE thing, but my favorite things about the 90s were:
    -Xena (of course :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)
    -WWF--Attitude Era <3
    -My N64
    -Nickelodeon
    -the discovery of Mortal Kombat
    -quality Disney movies

So, I guess, in essence, what my favorite thing was my childhood. xD

13. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I liked the booming economy of the 90's

14. Rinto

Rinto Guest

I reminisce about the SNES games at that time ♥w♥
    Also, I get reminded of Britney's old songs, along with Spice Girls' and Vega Boys'^^
    I used to love 'em~

15. needshelp

the 90s were a beautiful time mainly because aside from all the things that were there at the time that were great like tv, music, culture, things that disappeared in the next decade, there was a sense of hope (speaking for myself) about the future. i can honestly say that i was a happy camper and that basically felt at ease not knowing much about the world. there was a channel of positivity. however as the 90s started slipping away and i got older, things changed and so did i. when 2000 hit and everything went downhill in america to the point where shit hit rock bottom in 2001, i felt it in my life as well as dealing with the world. things were terrible.

16. Danielle

Danielle Guest

Me.

The answer is so simple :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Yuya

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And we can't forget about these :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably the cartoons and being able to just be a kid. Not having to worry about adult responsibilities was great and the 90s cartoons on Nickelodeon was so much better than the cartoons of today.

19. person54

Wacky cartoons like catdog
    Insanely popular crazes like beanie babies or pokemon
    Were they trying to be funny or serious movies? like Starship Troopers
    Smashmouth's one hit wonder and all the good rock/grunge bands
    Mario Kart 64
    Being able able to just be a kid while all the previously mentioned stuff was around.

20. starfish

My favorite thing was all of the computer swap meets. My favorite swap meet was the First saturday sale in Dallas. Vendors would start setting up between midnight and 2 am. The best time to shop was between 3 and 4 AM.

You could find all kinds of fun stuff there. Though once computer parts became commodities the swap meets just weren't the same.

I once Paid $300 for a SGI Indy with 21" CRT monitor, that I bought off the back of a truck. Man that was a slick box. Thought it was not much fun lugging it 4 blocks back to my truck.