1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speech Help

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Darquesse, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Darquesse

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been asked back to my old high school to do a speech on gay rights, so just asking you guys: any ideas?

2. Kidd

Kidd Guest

What exactly is the speech supposed to be about? I gave one a year ago about homophobia and LGBT youth suicide at my university. I wish we could attach powerpoints. Would totally give it to you. :/

Just some of the highlights from the PP that you might find useful...

...and then I quoted a paper from the American Psychological Association;

Then some stats about LGBT youth;

http://data.lambdalegal.org/pdf/158.pdf

I have a ton more...

#2 Kidd, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2011
  3. Rinamir Mortem

On the point of Gay Rights I think your best chances will be to go to newspapers or find Sociological articles on how Gay Rights have developed over the years.

I would definately use that Homosexuality was once termed as a Psychological disorder. Only until 1973 was it declassified. From the Sociological perspective one could argue that by classifying Homosexuality as a disorder allowed for the systematic control of gay men by putting them away in mental institutes and potentially treated with electo-convulsive therapy. That is as much as I can think that the field of Psychology can turn up for you.

4. Alex15

Surrounded by the Old Repulican Vangard (Texas)
    You should reference countries that already have same sex equality laws in place, Spain for example is awesome on how they treat the LGBT community. I'd say the opposition to equality is wrong considering I've seen a ton of same sex couples holding hands and kissing on the sidewalks here and as far as I can tell the world isn't exactly ripping itself apart. It's just normal, and I think they've only had the laws for 5 years maybe? Not sure on that number but it hasn't been long and it's already perceived as normal here.