1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Applying to university.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gordon, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Gordon

I'm just about to start applying to go to the university of Calgary and I want to know what I can expect. I was also thinking about going to a gay-straight alliance meeting since I'm very straight acting.

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As far as gay student support and organization, they seem pretty good. They have a GSA organization, Queers on Campus. I'm not too familiar with the university as a whole though.

What else are you looking for?

3. Gordon

Well I was thinking of getting into law or psychogy as my major. Also is there any good clubs?

4. jenn288

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey, I did my undergrad at the University of Calgary and I'm doing my law degree at the University of Alberta right now. I'd be happy to answer any questions about enrolling and what law school's like and things like that.

I didn't join University of Calgary's GSA (because I wasn't/am still not out) but I have kinda joined my law faculties group OUTlaw. Straight people can join too, so I haven't had to out myself and it's been great getting to know people. So I think you should definitely join, especially if you're in the process of coming out. I definitely regret not joining in the last few years of my undergrad when I was finally realizing I was a lesbian :slight_smile:

5. Rinamir Mortem

I am not certain about Canada but in England Psychology degrees are very competitive. For my degree place I had to out compete at least 20 other applicants. I would certainly ask around and the University to get a decent idea of the overall competitiveness of the degree, they can be quite helpful.

Best of luck with your application :grin:

6. Nykoru

Out Status:
    Some people
    As it happens, my eldest sister has a psych degree from the U of C :slight_smile: She's a hard worker but not an A+ student (generally low As in high school for her better classes), and she graduated with an honours degree. Fair warning, though: she's still there. She realized near the end that the career choices didn't suit her, and now she's in an accelerated nursing program. So it's a pretty good school (pulled her from BC, anyway). As for the rainbow support, though, I can't say much; I've barely driven through the campus myself (once, while visiting), and she is straight and engaged - no known musings of any other orientation for her.