1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are gay ppl often to be smart?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by neverover, Dec 11, 2007.

1. neverover

i was just wondering. all the gay guy (well, at least look like one) in my skool r all smart ass. biology state champion, english debate, etc. but r all the ppl here academically (cos we got our own specialities, ones dat dos not included in skool) smart?
    me? meh, i stopped being smart 2yrs ago. i only study the nite be4 test. i used to has the highest score all around the skool, but now? rank 33:slight_smile:. how bout u?

2. InaRut

81% acceptance average isn't bad...with and all around, "Nice guy" reputation. That's what I like to believe.

But yah I notice that too...Maybe in highschool since us gays don't usually get caught up in a Heart-breaking relationship (cause most of us are in the closet in highschool) we like to focus on our academics?

Okay weak theory...but I'm running on post-midnight shift brain power right now.

3. CrimsonThunder

I'm a smart ass, but I'm not smart.

4. Dizzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Two things come to mind:

The people open-minded enough and perceptive enough to realize they are gay and come out are going to be the smart ones. It will be the less intelligent homosexuals (on average) who don't realize they are gay.

And when you study doesn't determine whether you are smart. I study five minutes before the tests (ADD means I rarely get around to it before then), and if I wasn't smart (all modesty aside) I would be doomed.

5. Ty

Ty Guest

I was hoping to disprove this little idea but im in the top classes for everything and have a iq of 140... so im not the best example.
    I wonder why Im smart :rolleyes:
    Im sure there are dumb gay people though!

6. MusicIsMyBoyfriend

Well I'm above-average as I'm:
    Top set for English (Higher)
    Top set for Science (Higher)
    middle for Maths (Foundation)

7. Ty

Ty Guest

Im doing Higher in Maths =]

You doing triple award for science? or double?

8. Grof142007

Well Im getting an Education at colleg and will be done in about a years. my Other gay friend becoming a professional chef Hmm i guess it couild be true

9. godfather

godfather Guest

um i dnt think of myself as cleverthan than in music lol

10. lodiug

People usually think that I'm a nerd cause I wear glasses. But I'm not smart...I'm not dumb either. I'm just your avarage student!

11. Snowden

I think there might be something in this. I would add that maybe, since gay students are already defying heterosexist convention at their schools by being gay or even questioning, they're less likely to follow the convention of intelligence/hard work not being considered cool.

(I did 5 A-levels and am now studying architecture, and am also really quite nerdy)

12. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No I totally think that's part of it... I think a lot of gay people tend to throw themselves into their "careers" and in high school one's "career" is often academics.

And I think that's probably the other part, although I would tweak it somewhat and say the people who are sorted-out enough to come out in high school are probably high-functioning for some reason or another (maybe not purely intelligence but just having altogether easier lives or less emotional problems) and so the same factors that give them the wherewithal to come out earlier are also things that help them achieve academically. Because let's face it, there are plenty of people who do well at school who are in reality complete morons or assholes. They just know how to work the system, that's all.

Likewise, there are plenty of brilliant people who do exceedingly poorly at school for a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with their natural intelligence. Like if you have two people who have the same intellectual capacity and one comes from a very loving family and the other comes from a very unhappy home, odds are the one who comes from the calmer, more supportive background is going to excel much more than the other. Or if one comes from a family that's quite well-off and the other from a family where they're always struggling financially, it's the one from the richer background who is likely going to have an easier time at school--and in life.

13. Ty

Ty Guest

Quite a cynical approach to life.

14. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What's cynical about it? I'm not saying one can't overcome one's background--obviously there are tons of stories about people who do--but there's no use pretending that one's background doesn't impact one's life. There are plenty of people who have the capacity to do great things that don't get the chances they should because of the odds they have to fight against and plenty of absolutely mediocre people who excel in life because they've had it easy.

Cynicism would be thinking that's just the way things should be, or always are. Realism is recognising that it's common. There's a difference between being idealistic, realistic, and cynical or pessimistic.

15. Jim1454

No - I'd say probably realistic. Joey worded this very carefully... two people with the same intellectual capacity... but in different circumstances are going to have different degrees of success at school. Of course, no two people have exactly the same intellectual capacity, so it's somewhat hypothetical. But I get his point, and tend to agree.

With age comes perspective, remember. :icon_wink He and I have a few years on you.

16. Jim1454

Oh, and for the record...

Smart = Me = Gay :icon_wink

Therefore,

Smart = Gay! (!)

17. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah yes, the transitive property of intelligence! :lol:

18. Ty

Ty Guest

Well it's just like, I proberly don't come from the most wealthy or best off family but i still manage to beat most people who i know are much more wealthy and have much stabler homes. Infact a few of the richer ones like to dabble in drugs.

19. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Another mother told me one time that gay kids tend to be overachievers because they try to make up for something that their parents might consider a "flaw". I don't know. All my kids were straight A students and graduated with honors in the Top 10% of their class.

20. Ty

Ty Guest

I think those idea's for the reason why they do well in school sounds quite probable. I feel like im disappointing my parents.